Page 42 of 48 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Skill at arms

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by PNW_Tree_Octopus View Post
    But back to the thread, what keeps these... for lack of a better term, performance Luddites(?) around? Is it just the prevalence of Dunning-Kruger when it comes to martial skill?
    A friend of mine, Mike Grasso, shared an anecdote from his days doing inservice training with LAPD. He said that you'd ask a group of officers "How many of you guys are physically fit?" and the number of hands that went up would pretty well correlate with the number of guys in the room who you knew could smoke a PT test. You'd could ask the same group "How many of you guys are tactically sound?" and almost every hand would go up. It was a pretty safe assertion to make, of course, since nobody was likely to count your tactical pushups or time your pie-slicing.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    I suppose I'm just not integrated enough to tactically evolve so as to apply the tangential threat focus necessary for kinetic processing of ballistic integrity at speed whilst stationary in a threat reduction fixed foot position envelope.
    Let me guess: English Major?
    Last edited by Tom_Jones; 12-29-2015 at 07:09 PM. Reason: fixed quote

And then there's the Bollywood version:
    Pretty sure at least one well known instructor was taking notes when he watched that video.

Quote Originally Posted by PNW_Tree_Octopus View Post

But back to the thread, what keeps these... for lack of a better term, performance Luddites(?) around? Is it just the prevalence of Dunning-Kruger when it comes to martial skill?
    There is that whole thing about being able to justify their total lack of demonstrable performance in speed and accuracy by the usual "square range/killed on the streets/yadda yadda". Which makes one wonder if they actually know the color of the boathouse at Hereford, or maybe their experience may be a bit puffed and inflated.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post

I might have missed it, but at least they didn't sweep themselves or each other. They're in better shape and more athletic than most of our people. I bet I could teach them to shoot well pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    Smith.
    Ayoob.
    Green.
    Givens.
    Vogel.
    Vickers.

All told me to use the sights.
    For some reason, I'm reminded of this: https://youtu.be/U_eZmEiyTo0?t=9s

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post

Let's see Bob Vogel do THAT at four times the distance and half the time!

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    They're in better shape and more athletic than most of our people. I bet I could teach them to shoot well pretty quickly.

There you go. It's a lot easier to turn an athlete into a shooter than vice-versa.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    There you go. It's a lot easier to turn an athlete into a shooter than vice-versa.
    Not being more athletic than 80 percent of people I see in my gym, and being a better shooter than 80 percent or more of the folks I see at my local indoor range, I would completely agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I might have missed it, but at least they didn't sweep themselves or each other. They're in better shape and more athletic than most of our people. I bet I could teach them to shoot well pretty quickly.
    True but someone in their group though that being capable of doing those "moves" was a good idea.

I think they swept uprange some, but they were really good about not sweeping each other or themselves.

User Tag List