Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Colonel Blades

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Re: folder v. fixed blade:

I can legally carry a conventional fixed blade in most of my state. I can also legally carry a gun, and that plus everything else I carry takes priority over knife placement.

In most of the places I am likely to go where I cannot legally carry a gun, a fixed blade is very problematic legally at best, if not outright illegal. So, even though I have a few nice fixed blades, my knife focus is on folders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    PA is a fickle state when it comes to knives. I am in the conundrum that any fixed blade knife that I find suitable for self defense would ostensibly run afoul of the PA definition of "weapon".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by echo5charlie View Post
    PA is a fickle state when it comes to knives. I am in the conundrum that any fixed blade knife that I find suitable for self defense would ostensibly run afoul of the PA definition of "weapon".
    The courts have been pretty clear that what is banned is 1) switchblades, and 2) anything capable of causing death or serious injury and having no common lawful purpose (the catch-all clause at the end of the definition). A standard single edged fixed blade of reasonable length has common lawful purposes.

One case I read found that a folding knife that could be locked with the handle either parallel or perpendicular to the blade fell under the catch-all clause, and was therefore illegal. It would follow that a push dagger is illegal as well under the catch-all clause.

Assisted opening knives have resulted in one guilty plea and one fast aquittal. Taking the statute very literally, the blade is exposed manually before the spring takes over, but it is still an area of uncertainty.

Double edge knives are not specifically banned by the wording of the statute as interpreted by the courts, but are a subject of frequent misunderstanding. An arrest could petit by a police officer with a mistaken understanding of the law.

There is no pre-emption of local ordinances banning knives. Philadelphia bans carrying any knife not needed for one’s employment at the time it is being carried. At least one other city has strict laws.

The statute does have enough wiggle room so that predicting a result cannot be done with 100% certainty, so erring on the side of caution is wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Does anyone know what happened to Colonel Blades? Their website no longer lists any products, and all their social media pages appear to be deleted. I was considering getting one just to play with, but I can't find them anymore. Did the company go out of business?
    Last edited by js475; 03-11-2019 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by js475 View Post
    Does anyone know what happened to Colonel Blades? Their website no longer lists any products, and all their social media pages appear to be deleted. I was considering getting one just to play with, but I can't find them anymore. Did the company go out of business?
    I have no idea about the manufacturer, but BCM has a few variants, though only one seems to be in stock: https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/edge...ives-s/223.htm
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

I hope they are still a thing and just re-branding or sold out... seems fishy but I really wanted one.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    I hope they are still a thing and just re-branding or sold out... seems fishy but I really wanted one.
    They are temporarily down due to some personal stuff with the owner. At least, thats the response I was given when I asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Warped Mindless View Post
    They are temporarily down due to some personal stuff with the owner. At least, thats the response I was given when I asked.
    Just got a message back from someone privy to the Savitti family that said the company is “restructuring” but will return in the future.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

User Tag List