Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Colonel Blades

Hung out with some of the guys from Northern Red last weekend and ended up ordering a NCO LowVz after seeing a couple of their demos and some combatives work with various Colonel Blades. It came in today and I’ve been wearing it around the house some. Installing a heavy bag in my garage soon and will be putting in some time on it with the trainer. I set up the holster to carry support side AIWB as there’s no room to run it strong side AIWB with my EDC gun.
    Shoot more, post less...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    Hung out with some of the guys from Northern Red last weekend and ended up ordering a NCO LowVz after seeing a couple of their demos and some combatives work with various Colonel Blades. It came in today and I’ve been wearing it around the house some. Installing a heavy bag in my garage soon and will be putting in some time on it with the trainer. I set up the holster to carry support side AIWB as there’s no room to run it strong side AIWB with my EDC gun.
    Received mine yesterday. I'm wearing mine AIWB support side as well both on and off duty. I like the fact that on duty I can conceal it behind my magazine pouch for a low profile carry.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Bumping this thread to say that I was impressed with the Colonel Blade(s) I just played with.

One of the frequent LE guys at BJJ brought some friends to train and afterwards during our open mat time they brought out the Colonels they have been carrying. We rolled a little bit, did some stand up, and worked the bags and I really liked it and the concept. Will definitely be ordering a blade in the future.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

This thing is awesome. Folding, single edged and under 3", which I'm pretty sure makes it left coast liberal city/county legal.

It has very fast and smooth flipper deployment on bronze washers, and opposed liner locks that make it nearly impossible to close unintentionally (hard to describe). When you deploy it, your hand makes an instinctive roll and it comes into a punching grip.

So far it's the best legal option I can find for a weak hand Get Off Me tool since all of the daggers, picks and such discussed on this forum are illegal where I live, as are saps.

Name:  80E2E756-C04B-42C0-8E43-A5F6708A6B6B.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  47.2 KB
    Last edited by STI; 01-15-2019 at 05:04 PM.

I'd have to see one in person but the idea of a folding version is a head scratcher to me, not that I have any training or professional credentials to say one way or another but it just seems weird that you'd have a folding version of a defensive knife. If it had a "wave" feature like an Emerson I might understand... anyone with real cred have thoughts on this?

I'm not anyone with real"cred" (not entirely sure what that means actually), but I do have some experience. But even that experience is not required. Having a folding version of a fixed blade may make the carry of that blade legal where the fixed one might not be, a folder has a smaller footprint than a fixed blade and doesn't require a sheath for carry which can make things easier when wearing fewer/lighter clothing or being in an NPC environment, a folder is generally less threatening, when deployed for whatever reason, than a fixed blade and thus won't "frighten the horses". Just off the top of my head.

The Colonel blades aren't for me, but I can certainly understand the desire for a folding version of a fixed blade one likes, or vice versa.

A"wave" like feature on all folders is nice :-)
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by STI View Post
    This thing is awesome. Folding, single edged and under 3", which I'm pretty sure makes it left coast liberal city/county legal.
    Good to hear, I assume your drawing to a forward grip? Is the draw akin to about 11:30 in this video?

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I'd have to see one in person but the idea of a folding version is a head scratcher to me, not that I have any training or professional credentials to say one way or another but it just seems weird that you'd have a folding version of a defensive knife. If it had a "wave" feature like an Emerson I might understand... anyone with real cred have thoughts on this?
    I think it a hurdle to the legal situation that a lot of people live in. Folders have their hindrances in a defensive setting but sometimes that is ruleset a citizen has to play by.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    Good to hear, I assume your drawing to a forward grip? Is the draw akin to about 11:30 in this video?
    Exactly, and within a couple sessions it's pretty easy to get it well under a second. The blade opens with a THWACK that's solid and not quiet, so it's not sneaky - not sure if that's bad or good. The scales are machined G10 which is very aggressive in a good way, significantly more than the Fox karambit I have with the same scales just a different machined finish.

I have been experimenting with Seattle/King County legal Get Off Me tools for years. The last one I tried was a wave opening spine lock Fox 599XT karambit. (The Colonel is also made by Fox.) The issue with the Fox karambit deployment is as follows: there is a spine lock model with a lot of friction but positive lockup, and a liner lock model that's fast but has anecdotally been able to close on the user's hand in use (YouTube has it). The deployment of the spine lock is slow and not reliable with the wave because the friction is so high. I've disassembled and greased it - the issue is the strength of the springs actuating the spine lock, you'd have to machine them thinner. The friction is also high enough that thumb opening the Spyderco-ish blade hole is hard even with young man hands.

My setup is to carry 9 o clock and use it weak hand only, creating space and/or time to get to strong hand AIWB. After doing mock deployment testing with the karambit in different positions I might get forced into on the ground, I'm just not convinced that wave deployment can be positively counted on when it may matter most. Regardless of stiff or smooth action, the pocket fabric orientation relative to the knife changes the likelihood of wave deployment. I want something I can open and grip one hand, either hand, without looking, even in compressed and strange positions. Despite the concerns brought up on this forum of skin degloving due to the finger ring, I think this Colonel folder is a significantly better tool for all that.

The spine lock 599XT karambit is not quick or reliable to open in any method from my experience, and I haven't been interested in buying the liner lock that may close on my hand. The wave shape does make a good bottle opener though.
    Last edited by STI; 01-15-2019 at 06:15 PM. Reason: lots of stuff I didn't think of first

Quote Originally Posted by STI View Post
    I have been experimenting with Seattle/King County legal Get Off Me tools for years.
    I would appreciate your thoughts as your time with the folder goes on as both work and play have me around the Sound more frequently and it would be nice to have a folder to match my 509 carry.

FWIW I do have a Pkal and trainer I'd happily send you to play with and try out.

Site Supporter
    Re: folder v. fixed blade:

I can legally carry a conventional fixed blade in most of my state. I can also legally carry a gun, and that plus everything else I carry takes priority over knife placement.

In most of the places I am likely to go where I cannot legally carry a gun, a fixed blade is very problematic legally at best, if not outright illegal. So, even though I have a few nice fixed blades, my knife focus is on folders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List