Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Colonel Blades

Quote Originally Posted by LangdonTactical View Post
    Did this thread just die? Looks like nothing else was posted after July of 17?
    Yea, I think it just faded away.

Had one. Honestly never could carry it concealed for shit. Always managed to print the sharp point of the handle. I had the low viz version. Traded it for a clinch pick. Plan to pick up one of the new push daggers from shivworks. I feel like that may be the best common ground.
    Just a father trying to protect his family.

Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    Not for everyone...
    What does the Colonel do better?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by DI1 View Post
    The Shivworks push dagger is now available and is a much better alternative to the Colonel.
    So I am not a blade guy really. I have done some training on knife fighting, but very little. I have been carrying a knife of some type every day since I was a boy. I have yet to find the perfect knife, I have hundreds of them, and most of them never see the light of day. Like a lot of things, I am always looking for better ways to do things. That said, I don't have the time right now to dive into blade training and I like the idea and concept of the Colonel Blade.

So, can you explain why the push dagger is a "much better alternative"? What makes the Colonel bad or inferior to the Shivworks push dagger?

Also, many states specifically have laws that make a "push dagger" a problem. Is the "pejorative we" just choosing to ignore that?
    Last edited by LangdonTactical; 02-22-2018 at 11:33 AM.
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

I’ve been carrying a Colonel on duty for a few months now, I have no experience with push daggers so take this for what it’s worth. I wear it support side on my duty belt as a tool to respond to a gun grab, or if it goes to the ground and I’m pinned on my gun side. The finger hole was a bit of a concern when I ordered it but once I saw how large it is and how you actually hold it it became a non issue and I have no consern about my finger being degloved in a fight. The only part you could grab to try to take it away is blade and I don’t think that would work out well for them. The way the blade aligns to the wrist allows for no thought during a deployment, grap...punch. I think the way the grip is designed with the finger hole makes it almost impossible for the knife to roll laterally during a strike (this would be my only consern with the push blade). I’ve done full force strikes into plywood walls with it and...it works as advertised. As for consealing one over the other? No idea, my Colonel is worn overtly (not really) tucked behind my magazine pouches on my batbelt, it’s not very noticeable and someone eyeballing it would be a good indicator of pre-assault behavior in my book. I’m also not a knife guy and there is pretty much no learning curve to this thing...grab, punch.

Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    As for consealing one over the other? No idea, my Colonel is worn overtly (not really) tucked behind my magazine pouches on my batbelt, it’s not very noticeable and someone eyeballing it would be a good indicator of pre-assault behavior in my book.
    I think this is a key distinction. I know people who can conceal a G19 more easily than the Colonel in their typical clothing.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I am seeing now that they offer a lower priced option to their Colonel named the "NCO".

https://colonelblades.com/colonel-vs-nco/

Quote Originally Posted by LangdonTactical View Post
    So I am not a blade guy really. I have done some training on knife fighting, but very little. I have been carrying a knife of some type every day since I was a boy. I have yet to find the perfect knife, I have hundreds of them, and most of them never see the light of day. Like a lot of things, I am always looking for better ways to do things. That said, I don't have the time right now to dive into blade training and I like the idea and concept of the Colonel Blade.

So, can you explain why the push dagger is a "much better alternative"? What makes the Colonel bad or inferior to the Shivworks push dagger?

Also, many states specifically have laws that make a "push dagger" a problem. Is the "pejorative we" just choosing to ignore that?
    Hi Ernest,
    The Shivworks blade conceals better than the Colonel even with the stock Chinese sheath. Much better with the Dark Star Gear sheath. The Colonel is still a “push dagger “ and I could see some district attorney charging someone with either of those blades. If it is specifically prohibited to own/carry in your jurisdiction, then I would carry a fixed blade of your choice in a bladerigs sheath. We have had numerous discussions on this forum as to which blade is best. The answer is “it depends “. What works best for me, may not work for someone else due to hand size, skill set, cost, etc...
    My favorite knife is currently the Dynamis/Winkler full size blade. It does everything well for ME.
    The Shivworks push dagger is a good compromise of concealment, ease of use with minimal training and excellent ergonomics. The Shivworks push dagger aligns with my wrist better than the Colonel and allows me to strike where I want without having to adjust my attack. The Shivworks push dagger handle fits MY hand very well and is extremely secure. The Colonel blade makes me cant my wrist to strike and I don’t like the ergonomics or the hole in the blade.

Please let me know if this answers your questions. Feel free to pm me if you wish to discuss offline.
    Last edited by DI1; 02-22-2018 at 02:59 PM.

I’ve thought about picking up a NCO for off duty carry to experiment with. If the point on the grip is the problem for consealment they’re cheap enough that a grinding wheel would take care of that nicely without too much pain in the pocketbook. From carrying mine at my 10:30 if the sheath was angled slightly (tip pointed toward tour 12 O’clock) it seems like the grip would disappear as it would be almost parallel with the belt line?

I don't know jack about knife fighting, but the Colonel Blade looks strong or support hand draw specific, whereas the Clinch Pick and push dagger can be drawn by either hand.
    Last edited by HopetonBrown; 02-22-2018 at 05:28 PM.

User Tag List