Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Colonel Blades

Try using a different clip, I modified Todd's Colonel sheath with a G-Code clip, it stayed on better. The Bladerigs clip
    may work well.
    I also re-profiled the edge on his blade allowing it to cut as well as stab.
    The Colonel blade doesn't really work for me, but for someone with limited knife skills, it is pretty good.
    My biggest issue is with it, is the sharp point at the rear of the handle and the fact that the blade does not point naturally for me in a horizontal stabbing position (the blade points downward) I would have to re-adjust my angle of attack if I wanted to target a specific point.
    Last edited by DI1; 02-18-2017 at 11:28 AM.

I think I'd like to try one of these. My birthday is next week so I think I'll try it. I'm no knife fighter but I'll report back what my simple findings/feelings are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick phone reply - I will expand if asked.

I wanted another option for self defense that was better than your average pocket clip folder. For the past 6 years I have been carrying a ZT350ST almost everyday. Great knife, but it honestly gets used like most other EDC knives in the USA: to open packages. In the past 2 years I have taken a much greater interest in everyday preparedness (EDP if you will) and wanted an edged solution for a situation that is, honestly, unlikely to arise. So, the ZT is great but it is big and slow to deploy in an oh shit situation. This began my search that resulted in my purchase of a Colonel Blades.

A schooled knife fighter I am not. I bought the advertisement. Upon receiving the knife I felt my choice was well made. I also found my experience with the sheath to be similar to others - it isn't perfect but it does work. I'd love to see a more stable platform, akin to a solid AIWB holster.

As far as use in real life, well I'm still working that out. My current carry method for my pistol is AIWB as well as for my reload. My body type and type of carry make the Colonel Blades a bit of a PITA to use AIWB with the OEM sheath. It is currently carried at 3 o'clock.

I had a last minute business trip to SHOT this year and (talk about lack of preparedness) with no reciprocity I found myself without a legal means to carry my pistol, Colonel Blades was with me though. At least I had that!

So my final thoughts:

Again, I am not a knife fighter and it is unlikely that I will be one anytime soon. The handling is superb and meets the advertised claims by the manufacturer. The sheath kinda sucks, but does work. Given the possibility of broken, degloved, or severed finger(s) coupled with my knife fighting training - if that's all I walk away with in damage I'll take it. If I get to the point that I'm using Colonel Blades then shit is seriously screwed up.

"Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

I bought a colonel blade to compliment my aiwb pistol (11am) and aiwb spare mag (1am). Far too much stuff going on up front for me to put the colonel up front as well. I have tried carrying it at 3pm, but the grip curve causes it to print more than I would like under my shirt. I am still happy with my purchase...but I do need to figure out how to carry it comfortably in a good spot where it will be accessible and not print as much.
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

Same situation here as well. Ive been trying to run my Colonel low vis at 3 or 9 but eventually it digs in and is uncomfortable IWB.

Quote Originally Posted by Super J View Post
    I bought a colonel blade to compliment my aiwb pistol (11am) and aiwb spare mag (1am). Far too much stuff going on up front for me to put the colonel up front as well. I have tried carrying it at 3pm, but the grip curve causes it to print more than I would like under my shirt. I am still happy with my purchase...but I do need to figure out how to carry it comfortably in a good spot where it will be accessible and not print as much.
    Maybe move your spare mag to around 3 o'clock?

While I haven't tried the Colonel blade (I like the more classical fixed blades due to more all around utility for me), for a time, I wore a fixed Karambit at about 10;30/11:00 or so with the butt pointing left (my pistol goes AIWB at about 12:30/1:30 and mag pouch at about 3:00). It allowed for a good forward grip draw with the left hand and access (reverse grip) for the right hand, and it was concealable in a similar manner to a slim handgun.

I have been wearing the knife and I quickly purchased a sheath from Bladerigs.

I like the sheath and knife.

It does tend to print so I place it 1:00 or 11:00 - depending if I am carrying.

It's brutishly simple and would likely work well on a non-trained individual. There is much more to knife fighting than I realize and I realize there is a lot of potential with such a small but stout blade.

It was a good purchase.

Did this thread just die? Looks like nothing else was posted after July of 17?
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

The Shivworks push dagger is now available and is a much better alternative to the Colonel.

Quote Originally Posted by DI1 View Post
    The Shivworks push dagger is now available and is a much better alternative to the Colonel.
    Not for everyone...

User Tag List