Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Colonel Blades

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    A neoprene section will help keep it from sliding around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Have you been getting any interest for sheaths for this knife? I like mine but the sheath is undoubtedly a weak link. I would consider the bladerigs sheath cause it has the cloth-grabber clip I like, except that the bladerigs sheath has no provision to tuck the grip at all. I might go the foam wedge route with a bladerigs sheath but the only part of the knife that prints is the hard corner at the very bottom of the grip poking out, so I think a claw might help more.

Quote Originally Posted by Warped Mindless View Post
    Got mine a couple weeks ago and have been doing some testing and evaluation with it.

Over the last couple years I have tested several knives including:
    The clinch pick (Shivworks)
    The Gang Unit (Suarez Int.)
    SOCP Dagger (Benchmade)
    The Gambit (SOG)
    The Instinct (SOG)
    Spyderco Reverse (Spyderco)
    The Spew (CRKT)

So far I like The Colonel the best. This could be because of my background with boxing training and my personal knife use philosophy.

Over the last two weeks I have carried the knife every day and have used the trainer during one long sparring and testing session. Here are my thoughts:

- Due to the design its very hard for someone to take the knife away from you. I really like this.
    - The knife works very well in conjunction with a pistol. I have the knife set up in appendix position so that I can draw it with my off hand. Once the knife is drawn with the off hand and used to create space, the dominate hand can draw the pistol and with the knife still in your off hand you are able to go straight to a correct two handed pistol grip. This is nice because you dont need to drop/resheath/reposition the knife in any way before going into a two handed pistol grip.
    - The knife can be drawn with either hand and can be used effectively in a reverse grip position.
    - In sparring I was put into a variety of clinches, grabs, holds, positions both standing, against the wall, and on the ground. The knife works very well (for me at least) in all suitations I found myself in.
    - I found that the knife allowed for rapid deployment from the sheath.
    - Im working on a better clip for the sheath. I found that the clip doesnt get tight enough and allows the knife move around a bit to much on the belt while moving.
    - I find that the knife does conceal well.

This knife may not be for everyone but it works very well in conjunction with a pistol and blends seamlessly with my boxing training.
    Can you expand on the bold
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by SIRTainly View Post
    Have you been getting any interest for sheaths for this knife? I like mine but the sheath is undoubtedly a weak link. I would consider the bladerigs sheath cause it has the cloth-grabber clip I like, except that the bladerigs sheath has no provision to tuck the grip at all. I might go the foam wedge route with a bladerigs sheath but the only part of the knife that prints is the hard corner at the very bottom of the grip poking out, so I think a claw might help more.
    Not a whole lot of interest and considering the intent of the knife not a whole lot of room for me to improve upon things.

The concealment issues are simply because the knife is a small-medium blade with a large footprint, and it's shaped like a gun and not a knife.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Can you expand on the bold
    Sure thing.

The knife was designed by a guy who has years of boxing training. If you youtube "Colonel Blade" you will see a few videos of the designer talking about how training time is limited so he wanted to design something that would blend with exisiting training without having to learn a whole new skill set. He met with two SF guys he knew and got their input. After meeting with them and going with his own life experiance he decided that a blade that was designed to be held and thrown the same way as you would make a fist and throw a punch to be the best. He also wanted to make it so you could eaisly transition to from the knife back to a gun without having to drop the knife or do anything with it.

I have boxing training and carry a gun so that appealed to me. I could pull the knife and just start boxing with it against my enemy and once enough space is created to get to my gun I could pull it right out without worrying about the knife.

My knife philosphy is to put the pointy end into the enemies face, neck, heart, and lungs and do it as quickly and violently as possible. The knife (for me at least) just works so damn well at that. Ive used the trainer version in quite a few krav classes for testing purposes and it just works out better for me than any other knife.

EDIT: Forget to mention something important. I always have a few rules regarding knives:

1) They have to be easy to deploy under stress. If the handle is to small or the knife carries in a weird way that makes it hard to pull then the knife is useless to me.
    2) Its has to be designed so that it can be used in either hand. I have no idea what hand will be free in a defense suitation.
    3) The blade has to be big enough to strong enough to cause damage.
    4) It to be able to be concealed in the appendix position. I carry my gun at 2 so the knife has to be able to be carried at 11.
    5) Has to be designed primarily for stabbing and not cutting. In my research (but im no expert) Ive found that stabbing ends things much more quickly than cutting/slicing.

The knife meets all those requirements for me.

For what its worth, the second best knife I have tested is the SOCP Dagger.
    Last edited by Warped Mindless; 02-17-2017 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Not a whole lot of interest and considering the intent of the knife not a whole lot of room for me to improve upon things.

The concealment issues are simply because the knife is a small-medium blade with a large footprint, and it's shaped like a gun and not a knife.
    I 100% agree that the knife shape is not ideal for concealment but this stock sheath makes the knife conceal even worse than it should. This knife+sheath combo prints about as much as a larger and heavier pistol which should not happen.

Quote Originally Posted by SIRTainly View Post
    I 100% agree that the knife shape is not ideal for concealment but this stock sheath makes the knife conceal even worse than it should. This knife+sheath combo prints about as much as a larger and heavier pistol which should not happen.
    How are you guys carrying the knife? I carry mine in appendix at 11 and has no print in a slim fit shirt except a tiny bit from the clip on the belt.

Sure thing.

The knife was designed by a guy who has years of boxing training. If you youtube "Colonel Blade" you will see a few videos of the designer talking about how training time is limited so he wanted to design something that would blend with exisiting training without having to learn a whole new skill set. He met with two SF guys he knew and got their input. After meeting with them and going with his own life experiance he decided that a blade that was designed to be held and thrown the same way as you would make a fist and throw a punch to be the best. He also wanted to make it so you could eaisly transition to from the knife back to a gun without having to drop the knife or do anything with it.

I have boxing training and carry a gun so that appealed to me. I could pull the knife and just start boxing with it against my enemy and once enough space is created to get to my gun I could pull it right out without worrying about the knife.

My knife philosphy is to put the pointy end into the enemies face, neck, heart, and lungs and do it as quickly and violently as possible. The knife (for me at least) just works so damn well at that. Ive used the trainer version in quite a few krav classes for testing purposes and it just works out better for me than any other knife.

EDIT: Forget to mention something important. I always have a few rules regarding knives:

1) They have to be easy to deploy under stress. If the handle is to small or the knife carries in a weird way that makes it hard to pull then the knife is useless to me.
    2) Its has to be designed so that it can be used in either hand. I have no idea what hand will be free in a defense suitation.
    3) The blade has to be big enough to strong enough to cause damage.
    4) It to be able to be concealed in the appendix position. I carry my gun at 2 so the knife has to be able to be carried at 11.
    5) Has to be designed primarily for stabbing and not cutting. In my research (but im no expert) Ive found that stabbing ends things much more quickly than cutting/slicing.

The knife meets all those requirements for me.

For what its worth, the second best knife I have tested is the SOCP Dagger.
    Thanks for taking the time to post this. I do not agree, but that is fine. I appreciate your stance on the matter.
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to post this. I do not agree, but that is fine. I appreciate your stance on the matter.
    No problem. In the interest of me possibly learning something coould you explain what you disagree with?

How are you guys carrying the knife? I carry mine in appendix at 11 and has no print in a slim fit shirt except a tiny bit from the clip on the belt.
    I carry in the same manner. The clip does print slightly on a tighter shirt but the real problem for me is with the corner of the grip poking out to the side. The way the sheath's clip is attached lets it rotate somewhat so as I move the grip tends to "walk" out to the side where that corner pokes out very noticeably.

No problem. In the interest of me possibly learning something coould you explain what you disagree with?
    I did not forget I will when I have a chance.
    VDMSR.com

User Tag List