Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Surviving on the ground - a quick video tutorial

Here is a newer one (filmed in November), and a short one at that. Just a couple of quick pointers on dealing with a knife on the ground:

For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Here is another older video I did a while ago. It covers an area that gets short shift in the BJJ world, but I think has a lot of value. I actually just used one of these escapes last night in training while rolling. This is not "cool guy" material, but it works.

Site Supporter
    Awesome escape Cecil...I hate getting stuck in those headlocks. I've been submitted a few times in just casual rolling by the huger guys just giving me the Kesa Gatame and pretty much just smothering me. I was taught pretty much that last one and the the version where I run my legs the other way and try to hook the head with my calf, but that never quite seemed to work for me because I just never could get that kind of leverage and then it was back to square zero. Can't wait to try out a few of these.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Awesome escape Cecil...I hate getting stuck in those headlocks. I've been submitted a few times in just casual rolling by the huger guys just giving me the Kesa Gatame and pretty much just smothering me. I was taught pretty much that last one and the the version where I run my legs the other way and try to hook the head with my calf, but that never quite seemed to work for me because I just never could get that kind of leverage and then it was back to square zero. Can't wait to try out a few of these.

Try the spooning, and don't be in a hurry. A lot of times the big guys get used to people panicking and maybe tapping from the pressure. When that does not happen and the guy on bottom looks comfortable, the big guys might try to rush things and move and open up space for you to popcorn out. If that fails, focus on getting the trapped elbow to the mat. Again, don't be in a hurry with it. You are safe, and have plenty of time as long as you are on your side and your hips are close to him.

Let me know how it goes!
    Last edited by Cecil Burch; 03-04-2016 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    I'll be hosting Cecil in May (14-15) and will post/announce it soon. Just trying to clear the decks for SouthNarc's EWO that I'm hosting in March (19-20).

This will be a great 1-2 punch this year in NJ of all places [emoji41]
    That's awesome, BaiHu. You are in for a treat!

I just got some training from both Cecil and Craig, and even though I've been a martial artist for decades it helped me start to fill in some gaps in my "short-range" skills (my characterization, not theirs). It's interesting that the methods they teach dovetail nicely with the stance I learned in Okinawa, so I didn't need to change much, and they are both great guys to hang out with, which made the experience all the more enjoyable.

BTW, I remember meeting you at Todd's Aim Fast, Hit Fast class a few years ago, and I wish I'd been able to go out with you guys after class, but I had other responsibilities at the time. It seems that NJ is the place to be in May (never thought I'd say that)!
    Semper Fi, Marines!

AWDCorvette.com - Corvettes and especially the new 2024 all-wheel drive ERay!
    youtube.com/@AWDCorvetteERay

User Tag List