Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: On the Development of a Proactive Mindset

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    This might be a stupid line of questions, so pardon me if that’s the case. But I’m curious to hear how people here have worked to develop a proactive mindset.

I have solid situational awareness (so far as I’m… aware), but I presently lack the tendency to proactively formulate solutions to potential problems. “Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet” as the mantra goes, is basically the mindset people geared towards self-defense are encouraged to develop.

My issue is that nothing in my day-to-day really encourages me to do this. Cops and warfighters have real, immediate cause to formulate these contingency plans in their head, and it’s easy to see how that assessment and planning becomes second nature. How are civilians, who are only confronted with the possibility of real violence a handful of times in their lives, supposed to do this?

Is this a simple matter of having the discipline to form the habit, or are there strategies you can use to teach people?

Sir - I have been reading and rereading this thread + I have read Mr. Dobbs' notes on "Situational Awareness" and I would like to thank you for beginning it and so many others for elaborating on it. I personally feel this is an area that should be the most heavily "traveled" - and it is not. I'm not sure why, but so many of us are so quick to jump on the latest firearm (I know I have) or the latest technique (guilty) or whatever, which is not necessarily a bad thing. BUT, it is when it's all we do, not paying attention to our mindset. As you have all explained here, there is no easy answer, but I am so thankful for what I have learned from this thread. Many thanks to all.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Raccoon View Post
    Sir - I have been reading and rereading this thread + I have read Mr. Dobbs' notes on "Situational Awareness" and I would like to thank you for beginning it and so many others for elaborating on it. I personally feel this is an area that should be the most heavily "traveled" - and it is not. I'm not sure why, but so many of us are so quick to jump on the latest firearm (I know I have) or the latest technique (guilty) or whatever, which is not necessarily a bad thing. BUT, it is when it's all we do, not paying attention to our mindset. As you have all explained here, there is no easy answer, but I am so thankful for what I have learned from this thread. Many thanks to all.
    It's simply that old battle between software and hardware. As males and American versions of that gender, we LOVE to get a piece of new gear or buy the latest greatest load or get the newest holster, ad nauseum. Software isn't really much fun and it's a PITA to work on day after day. But I know that the awareness and preparation has been critical to success as a cop, contractor and instructor of both for many years. It's kept me from getting killed, it's kept me from having to kill others (because they got put in positions of absolute LOSE before they knew it) and now it helps me to avoid attendance at tactical events. Those days are over for me and it's gratifying to see what others miss. I keep on recalling something I heard Clint Smith say over 20 years ago: "The more you learn about pistol fighting and building clearing, the less you want to do them". He's right, because no matter how great a shot or tactician you may be, there is way too much luck involved in those deadly pursuits.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

User Tag List