Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which mount for aimpoint (or other red dots)

Which mount for aimpoint (or other red dots)

I tried to find existing threads here plus did some searching here and at other forums and seem to be running into some uncertainty on what I should consider when looking at mounts. I'm leaning towards aimpoint so have done some research on the options, and manufacturers may be biased due to that.

Obviously holding zero is key, but in addition to that what else should be considered:
    • Is the consensus that a 1/3 co-witness is probably best with a red dot sight like the aimpoint micro?
    • Is it worth getting a QD if I am just getting into AR hopefully next year? Seems like it would add unnecessary cost.
    • What manufacturers tend to satisfy the preferred mounts at a good price point? It seems that Bobro, Larue, Daniel Defense, ScalarWorks were the ones people tended to recommend, though some of those are pricier than others and may be overkill for someone that isn't going on patrol with their AR or have multiple guns they're using in training.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    I tried to find existing threads here plus did some searching here and at other forums and seem to be running into some uncertainty on what I should consider when looking at mounts. I'm leaning towards aimpoint so have done some research on the options, and manufacturers may be biased due to that.

Obviously holding zero is key, but in addition to that what else should be considered:
    • Is the consensus that a 1/3 co-witness is probably best with a red dot sight like the aimpoint micro?
    • Is it worth getting a QD if I am just getting into AR hopefully next year? Seems like it would add unnecessary cost.
    • What manufacturers tend to satisfy the preferred mounts at a good price point? It seems that Bobro, Larue, Daniel Defense, ScalarWorks were the ones people tended to recommend, though some of those are pricier than others and may be overkill for someone that isn't going on patrol with their AR or have multiple guns they're using in training.

Thanks!
    Let me just say that if you do not have experience with a quality RD like an Aimpoint, then it is hard to realize just how much of an "all conditions" speed and accuracy advantage that they can give you. So, you want a good mount to keep that sighting system zeroed and strong, but should pigs fly and that RD fails, then you need to be able to quick detach and get your iron sights in the fight. Even if you are not LE or military, times are getting crazy and you never know when you might have to deploy your AR in defense of self, family, and maybe even country.

That being said, there are some great mounts out there. I prefer a 1/3 coewitness. I have experience with Bobro and LaRue, and both make great mounts. My preferred mount right now is the LaRue 1/3 tall mount on an Aimpoint T2. If you go to LaRue Tactical, they actually sell the 1/3 tall mount with the T2 to save you money.......they take the factory low mount out of the package to reduce the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    My advice would be to get an Aimpoint PRO and just use the QRP2 mount that comes with it.
    Same

I run the Larue 660's on three rifles. T1's, H1's I like the QD for obvious reasons but also my insurance will cover anything that's not permanently attached to the rifle. Optic,light,sling... So if the rifle is stolen anything that's on it is covered. Go figure...
    Last edited by Stone; 12-14-2015 at 12:42 AM.

I'm a fan of the bobro mounts. I like an absolute cowitness, not a 1/3.

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    American Defense and Bobro make great mounts as well as GDI but they are pricey. 1/3 Co-witness is way more popular IME.
    Last edited by CS Tactical; 12-14-2015 at 06:36 AM.
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

I like lower 1/3 cowitness if the upper has a fixed front sight; absolute co-witness for a flip-up, as the optic sits a little lower. Larue and Bobro are outstanding; Scalarworks it the lightest if that's important to you. That said, for your first RDS, I agree with the guys above; start with the Aimpoint PRO and the included mount and worry about upgrading after you have some time with it.

Site Supporter
    I leave my front sight up and absolute co-witness.

If your dot goes down, you can still use the red dot tube as a rear ghost ring and it's (surprisingly to me) pretty accurate.

I showed up to the Sean M/F2S carbine class with a lower third co-witness and tried to do this drill (using tube as rear ghost ring) and it wasn't really possible for me. Having to remember to hold unreasonably high in an uncommon situation didn't make sense. Sean advocated front sight always deployed, absolute co-witness for this reason.

LaRue has kinda fallen out of favor for Aimpoint mounts; still totally serviceable, with great CS behind them, but they're a bit long in tooth at this point, as they have less clamping surface overall. I just bought a 1/3 cowitness GDI mount from CS Tactical, and they cut me a damn fair deal; if GDI is too rich for your blood, generally people tend toward ADM and Bobro for QD mounts, Scalarworks being the intermediate between QD and fixed, DD being the go-to for fixed mounts (Spuhr being the GDI of fixed mounts); haven't heard too much about the KAC mounts. 1/3 cowitness is useful with a pro mask or when shooting from unconventional positions, as you have a bit more leeway with head positioning, or so is my understanding.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 12-14-2015 at 11:06 AM.

I use a DD fixed mount. I prefer the lower 1/3 set up. Rear sight stays down unless needed, fixed front.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List