Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Theory - - iron sights vs red dot vs conventional scope reticle

Ditto to Wayne, for precision use with a CCO, I dim the dot and use either top or bottom of dot as my "aiming reticle" depending on range.

On magnified optics, depending if there is parallax adjustment on the scope will depend on what you need to do -- some will get you a decent merged image of reticle and target, some will not - and you will need to accept some fuzziness on one or the other (especially with older eyes) - but ideally you are looking at a "flat image" with the reticle crisp on a crisp target.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I am amazed how little information there is on the theory of using a red dot. I just perused the Aimpoint website and the user manual for the T2. I see references to keeping both eyes open, but nothing about looking at the target and not the dot. Google didn't turn up anything useful in a detailed way for me either.
    I bet that is because it would lead to a discussion involving convergence and accommodation, which are almost never discussed in a technically correct way, and are quite confusing to a lot of people.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I use an Aimpoint T-1 with the 2 moa dot. When I look at the dot, I see some bloom. As I'm not a morning person, my preferred work hours are second shift which, depending on the season, can take me from bright daylight to dark in the same shift. I live with slight bloom by keeping the intensity up one setting during bright daylight hours.

When I want to be precise, as when I'm sighting in the gun while at a bench, I will dim the intensity as low as I can get it and still see the dot. I also will keep my front sight folded down, but will raise my rear BUIS. I have found that by looking through the hole in the rear sight, it causes the bloom to go back to more of a dot. I keep the dot intensity as low as I can get it, almost to the point where I can feel as if Im imagining the dot. On a range with no time limit, it works. But I can't get around the fact that my eyes have passed the half century mark.

I once had an optometrist try to explain the medical reason why the dot cleans itself up when looking through the rear BUIS, and the concept mirrors some test they can do to test for something. But I just him say heard, "Blah Blah Blah". But those big words went over my head.

Once I retire in a couple of years, then I'll look at a variable scope with illumination. But for the type of LE work I currently do, the RDS is still my best option, bloom and all...

Site Supporter
    And the "bloom" doesn't make any difference, performance wise, in the way we typically use the RDS and a carbine. See the ID'd threat, superimpose dot on turd and press straight back on the trigger...
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    I bet that is because it would lead to a discussion involving convergence and accommodation, which are almost never discussed in a technically correct way, and are quite confusing to a lot of people.
    I believe Aimpoint type optics use a laser, which is collimated light, to focus the dot in your eye no matter what the accommodation is.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

EOs are laser, Aimpoint's LED.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    Ditto to Wayne, for precision use with a CCO, I dim the dot and use either top or bottom of dot as my "aiming reticle" depending on range.

On magnified optics, depending if there is parallax adjustment on the scope will depend on what you need to do -- some will get you a decent merged image of reticle and target, some will not - and you will need to accept some fuzziness on one or the other (especially with older eyes) - but ideally you are looking at a "flat image" with the reticle crisp on a crisp target.
    Important here with those magnified optics.
    Also remember that lots of these types of optics have parallax fixed at 50 or 100 yards.
    This has two implications:
    1: The reticle may not be in focus with the target.
    2: Misalignment of the eye behind the scope can cause parallax shift at other distances.

I recommend a reticle focus for precision. Fist reason is to ensure correct hold. Second is that being aware of the reticle tends to encourage correct mitigation of scope a shadow and proper head position.

Of course, when going fast on realistic targets with the goal to simply get a hit(s), those can be ignored and a target focus with half moon scope shadow will get it done.

From Tapatalk:
    Jack Leuba
    Knight's Armament Company: Military/Govt Product Liaison
    F2S Consulting: Director of Shooting Stuff
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

User Tag List