Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Dry fire your carry gun- how can I avoid setback or chewing through ammo?

Site Supporter
    To answer the question I try to buy two of the same guns, I have dedicated training mags and dummy rounds.
    I'll often just inspect the round and if it looks ok run it, I have noticed the damage to case rims that HCM mentioned (good post by the way). If I have any doubts I just bin it, I don't even chuck it in training ammo because it somehow ends up in match ammo.

Most of the issues I see with setback are from topping mags off. I don't think that's Something that happens much with pistols ?
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Yet another argument for how revolvers are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by dbateman View Post
    To answer the question I try to buy two of the same guns, I have dedicated training mags and dummy rounds.
    I'll often just inspect the round and if it looks ok run it, I have noticed the damage to case rims that HCM mentioned (good post by the way). If I have any doubts I just bin it, I don't even chuck it in training ammo because it somehow ends up in match ammo.

Most of the issues I see with setback are from topping mags off. I don't think that's Something that happens much with pistols ?
    That's precisely what I recommend. Two (or even three) identical carry / training guns, where one remains in a constant state of readiness, and the other(s) are relegated to training / dry practice use.

Only reason I have another g19 is because when i shoot someone i won't get the gun back anytime soon and i need another gun to carry in the meantime without changing my setup.

I train with my edc g19. If it breaks, it breaks. Is do an inspection once a month to make sure there arent obvious issues.

Nothing i have is "dedicated to training" other than training blades. I dont on a blue gun and ive broken enough sirts to stop buying them.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

The problems with repeatedly chambering rounds has also been noted in OCONUS combat the past decade. Below is a comment written by a highly skilled combat veteran regarding his experience fighting OCONUS with ammo that had been re-chambered:

"My first shooting in Iraq I threw my M4A1 on semi and ATTEMPTED to fire a controlled pair (first round functioned striking the threat and the second round did not function). I then transitioned to my secondary (Glock 19 shooting ball) and had a failure to fire on my first round....I was Waaaaaay behind the power curve at this point. At this point I was contemplating all of my various bad life decisions which had lead me to that point in my life and grabbed an M240B and solved the problem. I AM VERY LUCKY TO STILL BE UPRIGHT AND BREATHING TODAY....the cause of these malfunctions you ask? Repeated chamberings of the same ammo. I made a decision that day that my life was more important than following archaic rules written by those who sit behind desks and started shitcanning rounds after I was forced to clear weapons on U.S. Military installations. The .gov can fuckin bill me."
    Once a round has been chambered in a weapon, Do NOT re-chamber it for duty use. Do NOT re-chamber it again, except for training. This is CRITICAL for both rifles as well as handguns!!!
    Last edited by DocGKR; 12-13-2015 at 03:53 AM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

The only thing I would add to what Doc said is that weapons are not meant to be cycled gently. Work it hard, and let the round seat under full spring tension. This is important in several ways, and should not be neglected.

I hear you guys on having an identical second gun and I usually do. The problem is I have a safe full of duplicates as I've moved along the journey and the thought of buying a second P2000 right now makes me cringe. Even worse, I usually modify my guns as I get them and of course by the time I'm through with it re-selling them does not look like a great proposition (or at least a viable financial one). I agree with all of your comments though; two or three identical guns is probably the way to go and I permanently mark any round chambered with a sharpie and then put it in the training bin to be shot at the range the next time.

BehindBluel- I did have that thought about revolvers last night but that opens up a whole 'nother ball of wax for me that I'm not ready to get into.

I'm going to do a little experiment this evening. Stand by.
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rhines View Post
    I'm going to do a little experiment this evening. Stand by.
    I've tested various rounds for set back by repeatedly chambering them (letting the slide fly forward) over and over and checking them with calipers. Some rounds will start setting back sooner than others and some guns will set rounds back sooner than others.

I'll take the advice of experts and not play the odds. An ate up primer is something I can't measure and don't want to find out about at the wrong moment.

Some rounds suffer setback easier than others do. The old Silvertip 45 loading was horribly easy to induce setback. I would strongly recommend you rotate the rounds. If money is tight, then take the previously chambered round and put it on the bottom of your magazine. You should periodically shoot your carry ammunition in your gun, if for no other reason than to ensure it will function in your gun. Once the round you previously chambered and put on the bottom of the magazine reached the top of the magazine, then it's time to shoot up that magazine at the range. You should rotate your carry ammo anyway. This is an easy way to do so.

If you ever happen to come across a round that exhibits noticeable bullet setback, do NOT fire this round. Pushing the round back into the case can cause dramatic increase in chamber pressure when the round is fired. Better to dispose of the round than to blow up a gun, or you hand...

Carry ammo is expensive, but it's a matter of perspective. Bullets are cheap, life is not.

Not sure where the joking starts and stops in the topic drifts in this discussion, but do NOT load your gun by dropping a round into the chamber and close the slide. I've seen enough broken extractors to learn why this is a bad thing.

To the OP, if you really like the P2000 you use as a carry gun, I'd consider selling off something in the safe that is collecting dust and buy a second P2000. Not only can you use the second gun as a dry fire/practice gun, but you'll have something to fall back on if you ever are involved in a shooting. Because you can be assured that the gun you use in a shooting will be taken into evidence and stay there until the court proceedings are concluded or until the Grand Jury comes back with a "No Bill'. Same thing happens as a LEO involved with a OIS incident.

DocGKR has recommended buying three of the same gun for a while. One to carry, one to train with and one as a vetted spare. Very sound logic. One could get by with just two, by eliminating the vetted spare and have the training gun do double duty. Although my "Vetted Spare" also serves as a dedicated "House Gun" that lives in a secured and concealed location within the household. Kind of like a fire extinguisher, always in the same spot, in case of need. Those of age who live in my house know where it resides.
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 12-13-2015 at 12:16 PM.

User Tag List