Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Dry fire your carry gun- how can I avoid setback or chewing through ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Guns with spring loaded extractors will handle having to close over a rim better than other designs. The problem is more than just extractor tension though. Some extractors will chip when subjected to this practice. It really is best avoided, unless you have no magazines or something.

Also, clearing a a double feed should not involve closing the slide on an already chambered round.
    Check if I'm describing this correctly:

Spent casing still in chamber, the partially extracted casing sticks in the chamber and the extractor slips off, the slide cycles and a round is fed from the mag into the back of the spent casing in the chamber. Clear by locking the slide open, removing mag, cycle slide (repeatedly if necessary) to remove casing from the chamber, then re-load. Since there's a casing in the chamber, cycling the slide forces the extractor claw to move out against spring tension as it contacts the back of the casing, and then spring tension forces the claw into the rim to hopefully extract it when the slide is pulled rearward by hand.

The malfunction drill starts with a round or spent case placed in the chamber manually, then slowly close the slide to feed a round from the magazine into the round already in the chamber.

Coincidentally, it wasn't very long after doing this drill in one of Gabe's classes that I had it happen at a USPSA match. I believe the cause was too much dirt getting into the chamber via magazine dropped on the ground in conjunction with aluminum case ammo. The spent case expanded and stuck in the chamber after moving rearward enough to cycle the slide, and the extractor apparently slipped off the rim. The extractor was fine, never had a problem before, or since.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Which JMCK OWB holster and cant are you guys using?
    OWB (original, no number, just listed as OWB), 15 degree cant, low ride height. I own one for a M&P9c and for a Glock 19.

I also really like his single magazine OWB pouch.

User Tag List