Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: P320 consensus

I first became interested in the SIG P320 because of its much touted (by SIG) modularity. I seldom carry but I saw in the P320 the option of having a full-size pistol chambered in either .40 or .45 cal and a compact 9 mm by buying a 9 mm compact caliber X-change kit. I had no prior allegiance to SIG Sauer, had never owned one, and always considered them rather overpriced.

Early this year I had the opportunity to shoot both the full-size P320 in .40 cal S&W, and an HK VP9, both as rentals at a nearby range. I preferred the P320 as it seemed to fit my hand better and I shot it better, despite not being a huge fan of .40 cal. The VP9 also had a tendency to pinch my trigger finger against the bottom of the trigger guard. I decided to wait for the .45 cal P320 which SIG had already been promising for around 6 months or so. I have shot Glocks but never been a fan of them. They don't feel good in my hand, and the stock triggers on the P320 and HK VP9 were much better than those on any Glock I have shot.

Last April Fool's Day SIG raised the price of the caliber X-change kits by $100 overnight without advance warning. They are now priced at a point at which buying an X-change kit instead of a complete new pistol makes little sense for the vast majority of people. What is more, when SIG finally released the .45 caliber P320 this fall, we found that the FCU for the .45 will not work with the other calibers so the .45 ACP is a stand-alone platform. But SIG did not have the grace to announce this publicly, they just left it for people to figure it out on their own, one by one. The incompatibility issue of the .45 caliber with the other calibers is not a big deal for me since the X-change kits are priced so high I would choose to just buy a complete second pistol. But it was a disappointment for some.

Needless to say, I think SIG has screwed the pooch big time with the roll out of this pistol which has probably not helped its popularity. Nonetheless, I believe it is a good pistol and did, in fact, buy a full size .45 caliber P320 which I got with night sights NIB for just under $500 out the door. I have only shot a couple hundred rounds through it so far but have been very pleased with its performance. No malfunctions (with FMJ ammo), good recoil absorption, good accuracy and a very nice trigger. The medium grip module on the full size feels as if it was molded for my hand.

I also shot a HK VP40 and thought that was a very nice pistol. The HK VPs have a bit more take up in their triggers and the P320 trigger just seems to work better for me. Others feel the opposite. I have not yet had the opportunity to shoot a Walther PPQ.

I may buy a compact 9 mm P320 for carry. Actually, I would probably buy the "carry" model P320 with the compact slide and full length grip module for range use, and buy a compact grip module and a couple of the shorter magazines for the compact. A grip module and a couple of mags can be found for not much over $100 if you shop around. So to this extent the "modularity" of the P320 still holds water for me. But my frustrations with SIG's business practices will cause me to very carefully examine some other alternatives first.
    Last edited by pblanc; 12-12-2015 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    After switching from a G34 to a 320 for USPSA, I am now carrying a 320c instead of a G19. I've put enough time and ammo in the platform to be confident in it. I could be very happy going back to Glock, but appreciate the edge the 320 gives me in accuracy, trigger, and grip geometry. (I have had trigger work done on my competition and carry guns.)_
    Did your scores and percentages go up?
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Sig was really, really smart with the design (so smart that I can't believe Sig did it).
    There is a reason for it, the P320 was designed by SIG USA, not SIG Germany. The American engineers seems to listen pretty readily to end user input, and are willing to make small generational changes to the design based on that input.

But yes the take down is pretty neat, I've spent a lot of time showing people how it works. Most often to show them why they get a dead trigger after taking the pistol down sometimes.

My impression is that SIG is playing for keeps. They know that plastic SFA guns are the future of LE/MIL service pistols, and they want SIG to be part of that future.
    "The rocket worked perfectly, except for landing on the wrong planet." - Wernher Von Braun

http://www.teampegleg.com

I'll be waiting on consensus...from my wife. She does not like my M&P at all due to the thumb safety and scalloped slide serrations. If she goes with a Glock 19, I'll remain with my M&P and we'll be a two manufacturer family (I'm not a Glock fan). However, she borrowed a P250 a while back and liked it, but had a bit of trigger pinch which I understand translated to the P320. If she picks the P320, I may very well move on from the M&P to share mags, frames, accessories and the like provided I can drop it off at Sig and get a thumb safety added on like they show on the website. Besides, I live in NH and the trip to the Sig HQ is just a little over an hour away. I admit that the made in NH factor pulls me slightly more than the joy of owning something made in the occupied territory south of the border to me.

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    Most often to show them why they get a dead trigger after taking the pistol down sometimes.
    So, it is possible to incorrectly re-assemble a P320 so that it appears to function, but won't shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by GMSweet View Post
    I'll be waiting on consensus...from my wife. She does not like my M&P at all due to the thumb safety and scalloped slide serrations. If she goes with a Glock 19, I'll remain with my M&P and we'll be a two manufacturer family (I'm not a Glock fan). However, she borrowed a P250 a while back and liked it, but had a bit of trigger pinch which I understand translated to the P320. If she picks the P320, I may very well move on from the M&P to share mags, frames, accessories and the like provided I can drop it off at Sig and get a thumb safety added on like they show on the website. Besides, I live in NH and the trip to the Sig HQ is just a little over an hour away. I admit that the made in NH factor pulls me slightly more than the joy of owning something made in the occupied territory south of the border to me.
    Some people have experienced trigger bite with the P320, others with the HK VP9, and some with both. The newer P320s seem to be coming with a redesigned "adverse" trigger which may reduce the likelihood of trigger bite. I have had no issues with either the original P320 trigger or the newer one, but did with the VP9. Bottom line, your wife should try one and see.

Quote Originally Posted by pblanc View Post
    The newer P320s seem to be coming with a redesigned "adverse" trigger which may reduce the likelihood of trigger bite.
    I'd read that as well. The good news is my local range finally put at P320 compact into the rental case. I believe the next trip out for my wife will include a VP9, P320, and a borrowed G19. Ahh shucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I've been very favorably impressed with my P320. Its biggest downside from my point of view is that it doesn't have the aftermarket support of the Glock/M&P duo.
    In your hands, how has the accuracy compared between the M&P and P320?

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    So, it is possible to incorrectly re-assemble a P320 so that it appears to function, but won't shoot?

As Tom mentions you can't insert a magazine as you wouldn't be lulled into thinking you have a functioning gun. But more than once person has complained "I cleaned my pistol and now it doesn't release the striker."
    "The rocket worked perfectly, except for landing on the wrong planet." - Wernher Von Braun

http://www.teampegleg.com

P320 consensus

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Did your scores and percentages go up?
    Yes. I've seen a bump in match placement and classifier percentages--especially where high accuracy is required. My splits are not quite consistently where they were with the Glock yet but all my other drill metrics are superior with the 320.

It's hard to establish cause and effect because of all the practice time I've invested in the platform shift.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 12-12-2015 at 02:49 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List