Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Occluded Eye Aiming

I'm doing this tonight and will shoot it tomorrow. Only Daniel defense in town with a poo paper optic. 14827K hour battery life too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    Soooooo... Instead of buying a aimpoint I can take a toilet paper roll and put tape over it and put a red dot in the middle and go to town?
    What do you think this is? The Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    Soooooo... Instead of buying a aimpoint I can take a toilet paper roll and put tape over it and put a red dot in the middle and go to town?
    All kidding aside - the occlusion was just to prove that you can do it. It is easier/less confusing to shoot with it on 1x, since you do see so much more.
    But having it on 6x isn't a deal breaker for me since the occlusion principles works out...

For a pistol, I think the current trend of RDS make occlusion unconvincing.

EMC, FWIW, even with rifles there could be a considerable shift of POI with an occluded eye technique. This thing is very dependent on shooter's vision.

I had bad POI shift when using an aimpoint with the lens cover down. 6" plus at 50 yards if I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    EMC, FWIW, even with rifles there could be a considerable shift of POI with an occluded eye technique. This thing is very dependent on shooter's vision.
    Yes it seems the variables involved are the spacing between the eyes, amount of head tilt, the individuals vision, and the distance. In one article I read it said the usefulness is limited to 25 yards and under.

This one had some pictures of the POI change at various distances.

http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/occluded-eye-aiming/
    Last edited by EMC; 12-10-2015 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EMC View Post
    Yes it seems the variables involved are the spacing between the eyes, amount of head tilt, the individuals vision, and the distance. In one article I read it said the usefulness is limited to 25 yards and under.

This one had some pictures of the POI change at various distances.

http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/occluded-eye-aiming/
    I tried this a couple of times, and the POI shift was about the same, perhaps a little larger. Not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    Just putting this here for reference:

I shoot like this - I just leave the 4x or 6X in place and use reticle superimposed. It is almost easier with the 6X since the magnified image is just too muddled to make sense of.
    Funny thing about that video. I am standing just outside of camera (cameraman is Pete Brown) and since I know Taran I suggested the tape on the front of the lens (after I made sure he could do it)
    I shot the same drill as Taran right after him "on camera" just for fun.

Honestly, I was doing something quite similar 15 years ago.
    I have a .22 for rabbit hunting with a red dot on it. As you can imagine, the red dot is impossible to see on a sunny day pointing at snow.
    My red to came with an attachable lens that had 2 pieces of polarized material inside so you could dial in the amount of light transmission you wanted.
    On a sunny day, I adjusted that lens to allow zero light though the scope (just like duct taping the front) and it worked amazingly well.
    Good enough to hit habit size targets at 25 yards....on the move (well, the targets were moving, not me)

User Tag List