Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Securing a car/truck/trunk gun effectively and efficiently.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Maybe NH is different than where I grew up, but I don't think I'd feel comfortable having vo-tech handle that task. Almost akin to a police department asking prisoners to build their armory door at an offsite storage warehouse. In our education system, Vo-tech has become the dumping ground for the fucked up kids. More than half the kids from my high-school who attended vo-tech were drug addicts or so.e other form of upstanding pillar of society, some of which were already in/out of jail at least once by 18.
    Good point, I'll have to think about it. The one near me is almost like a private school, students have to test to get in. My youngest brother graduated from there in 2012. He said he doesn't know any of the current metal fab/welding students so as long as I sanitized my vehicle I doubt they'd be able to figure out where I live/work as I'm about 45 minutes away. But it is something to keep in mind that I didn't consider.

Plus I usually adhere to the mantra of "buy once, cry once" and one probably shouldn't skimp when it comes to this.

Site Supporter
    I've had a company called Highway Products build me two custom sized lockable boxes and have been really happy with them. What you are talking about will probably run $500 to $1000 but call them. They got folks that all they do is estimates, really helpful.

The Suburu is a tough nut though, any box in the back will block access to the spare.

VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Hard to say without seeing it in person - but it appears that a thief would only need to unthread or use the QD on the can and would have the rifle and suppressor free rather quickly.

ETA - and the take down pins are not protected. Unpinning the upper and lower receivers appears to be another quick and easy option.

For LE style quick release long gun racks my favorite is the Blac-Rac. It protects the middle of the rifle and works with any combo of light/laser attachments and any optics.
    Last edited by El Cid; 12-13-2015 at 05:40 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Lots of good options so far.

So the situation i am referring to here is a personal vehicle and secure discreet storage.

One setup i saw was a metal box, like from home depot or the like, that was re inforced with new/better hinges and one very heavy duty locking system installed. Then the whole thing was secured into the rear of the vehicle (trunk/cargo area) through bolts into the chasis. Guy had kit, rifles, ammo, etc inside it and had an alarm system on the box that would require turning off once it opens in order to stop it. The whole setup wasn't too expensive either. Anyone know of such a kit thats turnkey?
    Not turnkey but we've had success having a local police vehicle shop wire the lid of diamond plate tool boxes in the back of pick ups into the vehicles alarms system.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Not turnkey but we've had success having a local police vehicle shop wire the lid of diamond plate tool boxes in the back of pick ups into the vehicles alarms system.
    I've seen something similar.

For our patrol vehicles we have an alarm system setup with a deactivation button inside the center console and a hidden button in the trunk where two long guns sit. Alarm system is a cool idea.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Im thinking about replacing my shotgun specific lock in my trunk with this universal one:

http://m.galls.com/santa-cruz-gun-lo...00000000002264

That way I can put my AK, AR or a shotgun back there. Anyone have experience with them?
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    So now I'm either gonna get another 870 or a different bracket to hold an AR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Im thinking about replacing my shotgun specific lock in my trunk with this universal one:

http://m.galls.com/santa-cruz-gun-lo...00000000002264

That way I can put my AK, AR or a shotgun back there. Anyone have experience with them?
    You beat me to the punch...I was going to suggest that very thing.

At my last agency, our vehicles came outfitted with dual gun racks, and the rifle lock heads didn't fit our rifles. I swapped them out for the universal lock head and was very pleased. I was also able to cannibalize parts from previous rack systems and make workable solutions with K9 cages. I'm a fan of the universal. I like to mount it just forward of the magwell/optic, if possible.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 12-15-2015 at 11:49 AM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    In my pickup, I have a steel lock box that a friend who is a fabricator built for me that sits under the back seat and has a large compartment for long guns and two smaller ones that straddle the hump for hand guns or accessories.

Site Supporter
    None of our vehicles have locking racks for long guns and our road grunt Crown Vics are gradually being traded in for the PPV? (aka Ford Explorer).
    Since I am now a management puke, I have a Chevy HHR for a work vehicle. The Mossberg pumpgun barely fits in the back and I cover it with my issued jail blanket to conceal it from common observation. Not an ideal situation but I make do.
    We have finally been given permission to review our firearms policy and hope that meaningful changes can be made in regards to proper security and deployment of shotguns stored in vehicles.
    As far as POV long gun carriage, I would be perfectly content with my Winchester 94 30-30 in the trunk but vehicle break ins are too common here and I dont want to arm some turd that may hit my car one night for toll change.

User Tag List