Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Securing a car/truck/trunk gun effectively and efficiently.

This guys shows how easy it is to break into a vehicle...and get to the trunk.
    https://www.facebook.com/denverpolic...7789817659337/
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    Consider adding unbreakable glass
    https://youtu.be/jdlCsuLSFOc
    Cody
    Too many canals, rivers, and lakes around here for that. We keep glass breakers attached to the driver side seatbelts in our cars just in case.

I've got a four door Tacoma which is not the best for interior space or security. I do have a small lock box behind the rear seat and cable locked to part of the truck. For long guns/more than one handgun I use a Pelican case, padlocked and cabled locked to seat mounts. I do not leave guns in the truck overnight nor do I leave the truck out of sight for long with guns inside it.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

I have been using this system for several years now and really like it.
    The down side is that they have no US distributors so shipping costs an arm and a leg and takes a while to get here.
    I had to find a competent body shop to install the receiver in the trunk of my car.

Also they use many different email and web addresses so dealing with them always feels like you are talking to a fly by night company, but they were very upstanding in all my dealings and I had several issues due to shipping that they resolved for me. So no complaints from me.

http://www.weapon-safe.com.au/

http://hideawaysafe.com.au/

http://www.hide-away-safe.biz/

http://www.laptop-safe.com.au/

This PDF file shows various car/van/SUV installations

Name:  hide-away-safe-vertical-being-removed-from-docking-station.jpg
Views: 1361
Size:  15.2 KB

Name:  weapon-safe-securing-4-handguns.jpg
Views: 1192
Size:  16.1 KB

Name:  mk2-hide-away-safe-secured-in-docking-station-in-the-boot.jpg
Views: 1249
Size:  10.0 KB

Name:  mk3-hide-away-safe-secured-in-docking-station-under-paecel-shelf.jpg
Views: 1147
Size:  9.8 KB

Name:  mk3-marine-ply-vehicle-fixing-kit-docking-station-fixed-under-parcel-shelf.jpg
Views: 1148
Size:  10.1 KB
    Last edited by nycnoob; 12-11-2015 at 09:22 AM.

Site Supporter
    Interesting but won't fit a carbine.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Is this because your spare tire is under the box? I ask because i once had to unbolt a box in the back of a Ford Expedition with a multi-tool in order to change a tire. ......
    Yep. The spare tire is underneath the box.

But I used a tow truck before on the Old G Ride. I was not emptying the ass end in the middle of the freeway at 4:30. I turned on my rear red/blue strobes as I pulled over to get through traffic. Local PD Called a tow truck, IDed me as police, and got a me free tow to discount tire! Thanks HPD!
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Good topic, curious as well how to secure high dollar items, I have a 4 door Tundra and trying to figure out the best way.

Lots of good options so far.

So the situation i am referring to here is a personal vehicle and secure discreet storage.

One setup i saw was a metal box, like from home depot or the like, that was re inforced with new/better hinges and one very heavy duty locking system installed. Then the whole thing was secured into the rear of the vehicle (trunk/cargo area) through bolts into the chasis. Guy had kit, rifles, ammo, etc inside it and had an alarm system on the box that would require turning off once it opens in order to stop it. The whole setup wasn't too expensive either. Anyone know of such a kit thats turnkey?
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Timely thread. I'm on a regional riot/SAR team and have a good amount of equipment I have to bring to training/callouts. No long gun but body armor, duty belt, helmet, gas mask, cold weather uniforms, etc.

I drive a Subaru without a trunk (no G-Ride for me) and live far enough away from my station that it's easier to keep the gear with me and respond directly than it is to go to the station, gear up and grab a cruiser.

I've been looking at some of the Tuffy products but don't feel like dropping $700 on a simple lockbox. I've been thinking of reaching out to the local vo/tech school to see if the metal fab students would make an appropriate-sized setup for the cost of materials.

Quote Originally Posted by S Jenks View Post
    I've been looking at some of the Tuffy products but don't feel like dropping $700 on a simple lockbox. I've been thinking of reaching out to the local vo/tech school to see if the metal fab students would make an appropriate-sized setup for the cost of materials.
    Maybe NH is different than where I grew up, but I don't think I'd feel comfortable having vo-tech handle that task. Almost akin to a police department asking prisoners to build their armory door at an offsite storage warehouse. In our education system, Vo-tech has become the dumping ground for the fucked up kids. More than half the kids from my high-school who attended vo-tech were drug addicts or so.e other form of upstanding pillar of society, some of which were already in/out of jail at least once by 18.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List