Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Securing a car/truck/trunk gun effectively and efficiently.

Securing a car/truck/trunk gun effectively and efficiently.

Lots of talk recently about keeping a long gun that is dedicated to your every day vehicle, not a lot of talk about securing it effectively and efficiently, along with your kit.

We all have different vehicle types, SUV's sedans, sports cars, if you leave a gun in your car, how do you secure it? Box? Lock? Etc?
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Securing a car/truck/trunk gun effectively and efficiently.

In my G-ride (take home gov owned car) we were issued a "tuffy" lock box. It is about 3 ft long by 20" wide, and about 8" tall. We use a large bike cable to secure the box to the frame of the car. Mine is actually looped around the back seat mounts. The box is big enough for me to keep a lot in there (vest, rifle, raid jacket, flash light, mags and 300-500 rounds of ammo). Having a small SUV, there was really no "secure" spot in the car except for this lock box.

When I had a car with a trunk, I disabled the push button trunk release that was inside the car. That way you could not smash the window and pop the trunk. So I needed the car key or key fob to get in. The AR or MP5 was stored Mag out, bolt back and a bike cable was put through the mag well, out the ejection port and a lock as attached. not very fast to get into service, but pretty secure from theft. Our agency has never been real big on buying quick release gun racks... some guys have them, but they are the big exception to the rule.

On my personal vehicle, I have an extended cab pick up. No place for a tuffy box in the cab, so I use the bike cable lock method....

**A quick side note on dealing with the "LCD" in the my agency (AKA lowest common denominator, AKA dumb ass). When you give a basic M4 Class to an LCD agent, you really have to slow it down and put training wheels on the information. When you see the LCD storing or retrieving the gun from the vehicle, and you notice that they put the pad lock through the trigger guard, or front sight of the M4, it is hard not to strangle them. "But, its locked up!" (and I walk over and swing the trigger guard open and take the rifle from the trunk in about 10 seconds...) They sit there, mouth open, and say "I never thought of that"... Well, I covered it in the training class... LCD dumbasses.
    Last edited by Gadfly; 12-09-2015 at 12:19 PM.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

I have a Daily Long Gun -- but I pull it from the SUV at night - yes I live in the country, in a secure area, but...
    I found it is much easier to put one in a day bag along with AS gear that can go from place to place easily without a lot of eyebrows raised.

When I lived in FL, a group of thieves hit the neighborhood - pried my hard top tonneau locked cover off my pick-up, and made off with hard and soft armor and a bunch of ammo and mags - and a few doors down the 870 in the rack from a SO cruiser...
    I have also seen G ride Subbies broken into and the installed Gun Vault broken into as the top was not steel but plywood...

That really took my interest away on leaving guns in vehicles, unless it is a lockable metal box welded into the vehicle.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

I was actually thinking about starting a thread like this today. I've seen a couple of these in person and they are well built.

http://www.bossstrongbox.com

My problem is I'm space limited because I chose poorly with my POV. It has the spare tire inside which severely limits my options.
    My goal is to be able to have a PC, rifle, and spare mags.

In my pickup, I have a steel lock box that a friend who is a fabricator built for me that sits under the back seat and has a large compartment for long guns and two smaller ones that straddle the hump for hand guns or accessories. Its similar in design to the one that Truck Vault used to sell but I do not see it anymore on their website. I have some pics on my work puter and will post when I get a chance.

A few years back I decided I wanted a trunk gun for my little Ford Focus. But I was not happy with just throwing a long gun in the trunk since you can enter the trunk by smashing out a back window and pulling the rear seats down. One day I was discussing this with my buddy and he gave me the idea of using a old shotgun mount from a police car. So we found one and installed it in my trunk. It's hard mounted to the bracket behind the rear seats. We wired the mount to a simple toggle release switch that hidden behind the insulation in the trunk. It will only release if the car ignition is on. It worked ok but the shotgun would rattle around with just the mount we put in. I intended to put some atv type gun brackets in there as well to hold the shotgun more firmly into place. Not too long after we did this I ended up getting a take home g-ride so the focus sits in the garage largely unused. And I've since sold the 870 I had in there. I was hoping an AK would fit in there but it won't. So now I'm either gonna get another 870 or a different bracket to hold an AR.

Attachment 4883
    Attachment 4884
    Attachment 4885
    Last edited by Lon; 12-10-2015 at 12:53 PM.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    Ok..... I know there are some CAD folks here.... Sounds like a good business opportunity.... Somebody design something...

ETA: I wonder if something could be done with magnets... Like those door-lock magnets. When the car is on the magnet is disengaged. Car off, magnet is locked.
    Last edited by RoyGBiv; 12-10-2015 at 02:26 PM.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

So far I've probably been lucky as much as anything. I nearly always have a long gun in the vehicle. Living more than an hour from an Interstate Hwy, more than an hour from a large town or anything that could be called a city, and usually have one or more large dogs in the vehicle that seem to discourage people from getting close or looking in seems to help to some degree. Still, would like to upgrade the security potential of on-board hardware. One long gun is only accessible from the rear barn doors of the full size SUV. The doors have no inside handle, only the outside locking handle. Needs at least another layer though.
    Last edited by Malamute; 12-10-2015 at 03:02 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    . We use a large bike cable to secure the box to the frame of the car. Mine is actually looped around the back seat mounts.

Is this because your spare tire is under the box? I ask because i once had to unbolt a box in the back of a Ford Expedition with a multi-tool in order to change a tire. ......

Consider adding unbreakable glass
    https://youtu.be/jdlCsuLSFOc
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

User Tag List