Thread: Wound Ballistics: Basics and Applications?

Wound Ballistics: Basics and Applications?

"Wound Ballistics: Basics and Applications" by Kneubuehl, Coupland, Rothschild, and Thali.

Is this worthwhile for the layman? Any critiques I should be aware of?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    It depends on what the layman is trying to learn. I've got a similar textbook and some applicable training as part of a training package for new detectives I took years ago that talks about reading injuries to gather information as to how they were incurred. If you're looking for "which is better, 9mm or .45" you're probably going to be disappointed. If you really dig physics and like formulas about pressure and amount of work done and hydraulic force, it will likely fascinate you. If you want to learn what powder stippling looks like from various distances, you may be enthralled.

Actual quote from the 2008 edition:

2.1.4.5 Flow of a viscous fluid
    Forces and equations of motion. In accordance with d’Alembert’s principle,
    equations of motion are derived by equating inertial force and the forces acting on
    a body. Because density and volume are subject to change, both are expressed as a
    function of mass.
    The following discussion applies to a one-dimensional flow (a streamline). This makes the relationships
    considerably simpler and clearer, and facilitates comprehension of the subject. For complete
    versions of the general equations of motion for fluids, please consult the literature on the
    subject.
    A particle in a flow can undergo a change in velocity under two circumstances:
    – when the velocity field changes over time (unsteady flow);
    – when, in a (stationary) velocity field, it is displaced to a position at which
    the flow velocity is higher or lower.
    24 2 Basics
    Total acceleration is derived from the combination of the two sources. This acceleration
    is known as the substantial acceleration:
    (2.1:67) x
    v
    v
    t
    v
    dt
    dv
    w
    w

w
    w . [m/s2
    ]
    The two terms on the right can be interpreted as time-dependent or position-dependent inertial
    forces, expressed as a function of mass.
    In calculating the forces, we assume that the streamline under consideration is
    oriented along the x-axis and has a cross-section of dy × dz (see Fig. 2-5). The
    compressive force per unit mass on a flow element of length dx is then:
    (2.1:68) x
    p1
    dzdydx
    dzdypdzdy)pp(
    w
    w
    U  U
    w , [N/kg]
    and the frictional force is:
    (2.1:69)
    y
    dzdydx
    dzdxdzdy)(
    w
    Vw U U
    VVwV . [N/kg]
    In the case of a Newtonian fluid, we can substitute the shear stress from Eqn
    2.1:53:
    (2.1:70) 2
    y
    v
    y
    v
    y
    v
    ydy
    d
    w
    w
    UQ w
    w
    K ¸
    ¸
    ¹
    ·
    ¨
    ¨
    ©
    §
    w
    w
    K w
    w V . [N/m3
    ]
    Weight is omitted, as it does not exert a force along the x-axis, nor will we include
    I skipped all the sciency stuff because I don't have the background. The detective-y stuff runs like this:

5.1.3 Morphology of entry and exit wounds
    5.1.3.1 Entry wounds
    The morphology of the entry wound is of particular importance in assessing bullet
    wounds. This element provides indicators regarding the distance between muzzle
    and victim, the angle of impact and any special characteristics of the bullet. Even
    in the case of lightly-clothed body surfaces, the morphology of the entry wound
    will provide a wealth of information.
    An entry wound caused by a full metal-jacketed bullet has a number of typical
    characteristics (concentrically from the centre outwards): 1. A central skin defect
    surrounded. 2. A circular bullet wipe. 3. Contusion ring. 4. Margin of distension.
    1. Central skin defect, caused by direct contact with the bullet. By contrast
    with the exit wound, it is not usually possible to make the edges of the entry
    wound match up. The bullet crushes the underlying skin tissue on impact, and
    drags it far into the wound channel (GROßE-PERDEKAMP et al. 2005). A hole (often
    circular) is created in the tissue. As the tissue is accelerated away from the
    bullet, however, the skin is stretched briefly to a diameter greater than that of the
    bullet as it passes through, before contracting again due to its own elasticity after
    the bullet has passed. As a result, the diameter of the opening is generally somewhat
    smaller than that of the bullet (STRASSMANN 1885). Entry wounds in particularly
    hard areas of skin (such as the hands and the soles of the feet) may be
    particularly small (POLLAK 1980). The flatter the angle of attack, the more elliptical
    the bullet hole.
    2. Bullet wipe. This is caused by matter being wiped off the surface of the
    bullet as it enters the skin (STRASSMANN 1885)....
    And there's plenty of mechanics like "this is a revolver, this is a shotgun, this is a a hollowpoint, this is buckshot" type stuff, what a cartridge consists of, proper nomenclature, etc.

If you still think you're interested, look for an older copy. I think my most recent textbook is 2008 and it's not real different than the 2001-ish stuff, and the older ones are way cheaper. Don't pay $300 or so for a new book, in other words.

I don't have a well-defined goal. I don't even know enough to formulate one. I'm just interested in being more educated about the subject.

I skimmed through a little bit of it and the first third of it is "this is a bullet/this is a gun". After that the math looks to be straightforward and on the simple side, at worst needing basic calculus.

It is in PDF form so cost wasn't an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by X9VlmF8m View Post
    I don't have a well-defined goal. I don't even know enough to formulate one. I'm just interested in being more educated about the subject.
    Read Bullet penetration by Duncan MacPherson

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by X9VlmF8m View Post

I skimmed through a little bit of it and the first third of it is "this is a bullet/this is a gun". After that the math looks to be straightforward and on the simple side, at worst needing basic calculus.

It is in PDF form so cost wasn't an issue.
    Yeah, "basic calculus" is well beyond what I consider simple math.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixgun_Symphony View Post
    Read Bullet penetration by Duncan MacPherson
    Excellent recommendation, along with Dr. DiMaio's book on gunshot wounds.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

User Tag List