Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new bolt gun in 6.5mm.....suggestions?

Looking for a new bolt gun in 6.5mm.....suggestions?

I'm in the market for a new bolt action rifle in a 6.5mm. I already have a .308, and a .270 Weatherby Mag, so I'm looking for something a little softer in recoil but with excellent long range performance and medium game hunting. I currently reload for the .308, but I am wanting to reduce projectile diameter.

The 6.5mm Creedmoor caught my eye as it seems to possess a lot of desireable shooting characteristics that I am looking for. Load data indicates the it can be loaded with heavier long range projectiles and still maintain a higher magnum level velocity........however, without the heavier recoil. Plus, it looks like I can at least use some of my .308 reloading stuff for it. Thoughts?

As far as rifles go, I was looking at the Ruger Hawkeye Predator in the 6.5 Creedmoor. Any reviews on this Ruger series?

Thanks.

I don't know a whole lot about hunting rifles so I cannot really comment about the M77 other than I hear they are nice rifles. Even if you are planning on using it for hunting I would at least take a look at the Ruger Precision Rifle, it isn't all that heavy for a precision gun and I hear consistent reports of sub-moa accuracy, with many people at least claiming 1/2 moa accuracy pretty consistently, but I don't own one so I can't speak on it. As a cheaper option I have also heard positive things about the Ruger American Predator

As far as the 6.5 Creedmoor goes it is a great round, and especially useful if you don't handload or you want to use it in a gas gun (for OAL reasons). Since you handload and are looking for a bolt gun it may be worth also considering .260 Rem. Out of a bolt gun you get pretty similar performance (slightly higher velocities than 6.5C) but you can also get Lapua brass which is nice if you handload. I don't think you can go wrong with either. If you are looking for a precision rifle that is also handy for hunting the Tikka T3 CTR in .260 is pretty hard to beat [DBM (expensive though), threaded barrel, integral rail, large bolt knob), and even with a 20" barrel the .260 (the 6.5C as well) can still easily shoot past 1000 yards.

If money was an issue, the new ruger precision rifle! If money's not an issue, sturgeon

Site Supporter
    Well, I just went down this path. Lots of interest in 6.5 Creedmoor so usually not a lot in stock at LGS. I have been watching for a hunting rifle - not a PRS type rifle - in 6.5 Creedmoor. I was looking for the Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor which never seem to be available when in pure chance a LGS had a Savage M11 Trophy Hunter XP in 6.5 Creedmoor on sale for $499.99. Ended up about $508 out the door with military discount deducted but tax added. This is a package that includes a 3x9x40 Nikon scope with their BDC. Then I found out about the Savage $50 rebate - very nice. I bought a Weaver extended base with 20 MOA cant. Cabelas ran a Black Friday deal on a Vortex Viper HS 4x16x50 scope with a "Horus like" reticle and PSA ran a deal on 6.5 Creedmoor Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor ammo. Just got it put together and I will update when I get a chance to shoot.

Bud's had Weatherby Vanguard in 6.5 Creedmoor last time I checked.
    Last edited by ranger; 12-08-2015 at 07:45 PM.

I'd also take a look at 6.5x47, as the brass is excellent and you run small rifle primers which allows for more consistent ES/SD and slightly more pressure. The 6.5 creed is awesome, but the brass isn't near as uniform as the 6.5x47, and you'll be tossing the brass for enlarged primer pockets well before the 6.5x47. I've had 3 6.5x47 rifles, and all of them required 5 shots for load development: 1-3 to find pressure, 4 and 5 in the same hole, and away we go.

The downside is brass price (cheaper in the long run given how long it lasts), and you'll have to go custom. If cost is an issue, then go Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 creed, and don't look back. If cost is less of an issue, call Aaron Roberts at Roberts Precision Rifles, and prepare to be blown away.
    Last edited by 223AI; 12-08-2015 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 223AI View Post
    I'd also take a look at 6.5x47, as the brass is excellent and you run small rifle primers which allows for more consistent ES/SD and slightly more pressure. The 6.5 creed is awesome, but the brass isn't near as uniform as the 6.5x47, and you'll be tossing the brass for enlarged primer pockets well before the 6.5x47. I've had 3 6.5x47 rifles, and all of them required 5 shots for load development: 1-3 to find pressure, 4 and 5 in the same hole, and away we go.

The downside is brass price (cheaper in the long run given how long it lasts), and you'll have to go custom. If cost is an issue, then go Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 creed, and don't look back. If cost is less of an issue, call Aaron Roberts at Roberts Precision Rifles, and prepare to be blown away.
    After looking at that 6.5x47 Lapua, I am tempted to try that route. Not seeing much in the way of rifles out there though. Even though I reload, I do like to maintain an element of commercial ammo support. Small rifle primers for the 6.5x47L is a nice option though....

Site Supporter
    I think savage made a rifle in 6.5-284.

I recall that cartridge being the hotness in the F class community for a bit...

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

The Ruger Precision Rifle looks to be a solid gun for the money, and the aftermarket is jumping on it fast. The other solid choice is the Tikka CTR in 260 Remington.

Quote Originally Posted by Hauptmann View Post
    After looking at that 6.5x47 Lapua, I am tempted to try that route. Not seeing much in the way of rifles out there though. Even though I reload, I do like to maintain an element of commercial ammo support. Small rifle primers for the 6.5x47L is a nice option though....
    While ammo support and cost of brass makes the 6.5x47 a tougher sell, everything else is an upside. If you want commercial support, get a 243 or 308 as 6.5C, 260, etc. are really not all that mainstream yet either.

Like 223AI said, the 6.5x47 just shoots great. The worst group I have ever shot with mine was still under an 1" when I was testing loads.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I liked the Ruger 77 MkII in 6.5x55, kinda. It was by far the most accurate sporter I'd ever owned or fired. With two successive five-shot groups at 100 yards I got 0.75", but that wasn't the big deal. In the first group four went into 0.26" with a .75" flyer; the first four of the second group went into 0.31" and the fifth a .75" flyer. (I changed to benchrest primers right after that, and put on a 2.5-8 Leupold variable in place of the 4X Weaver that I'd been using.) My theory was that the barrel was great because Ruger hadn't made too many hammer-forged 6.5mm barrels so the mandrel for that caliber was mostly unused.

Only "kinda" liked it because I had a succession of pierced primers. The first required a gunsmith to clean out the copper and other metal fused inside the bolt. I blamed myself for the error until the second one, after which it went back to Ruger for headspacing. After the third one I sold it, full disclosure. It was likely an abberation and I'd consider a Ruger again, even though I dislike the safety for hunting - I can't "push" it; I have to swing it around then push forward when I'd rather concentrate on something else - personal problem.

I pretty much stuck with Lapua brass back then, and the 6.5x55 was the only 6.5 they made then. Now (or at least the last time I looked) they made it in 260 Remington as well as 6.5x47 Lapua.
    Last edited by Jaywalker; 01-03-2016 at 11:53 AM.

Site Supporter
    I continue to watch the 6.5 Creedmoor hunting rifles. Watching the Howa 1500 and Tikka T3 to see what they offer over the course of the year.

User Tag List