Page 13 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig MPX?

Also

@CleverNickname

Also, it may be relevant that the wipes on my can are pretty much blown out so I don’t use it as much suppression.

I used it for shooting 22LR pistols out of fixed barrel handgun so as not to upset the weight or balance of the gun and to not annoy the neighbors as much. Not for “hearing safeness.”

Same thing for this. If I were going to use it for home defense I might actually choose to go with a not so effective suppressor to prevent adding a lot of length. I have a professional grade $3k sound dB meter and I think I tested it with wipes blown out and it’s better than nothing (but obviously louder than 140dB). I can try and dig up the data.

I don’t like wipes because they don’t play nice with hollow points. These have a nice hole blown out of the center already, lol.

Trigger install

Set up the guns reasonably the way I want them I think…

Time to vet them a little better at the range tomorrow.

Name:  85E66337-A599-46E6-A919-3E1A25BFF8C4.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  45.6 KB

Few weeks working with this.

Also if you guys want a cheap 22LR training analog that looks cool, the HK / Umarex 22LR is pretty good.

Name:  D61BB118-98A4-421A-83B0-650201B16776.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  101.1 KB

Benefit

One nice thing I discovered shooting lefty was that brass ejects forward so no brass to face!

After a USPSA match Saturday, my buddy was gushing about how well his MPX performed. I chuckled and said they sure are awesome until they aren't. Today, three local shooters and friends were shooting PCC at another match. Two of the three MPX carbines failed hard, and ruined their matches. It is not if but when with a MPX, and I would never rely on one for defense.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    After a USPSA match Saturday, my buddy was gushing about how well his MPX performed. I chuckled and said they sure are awesome until they aren't. Today, three local shooters and friends were shooting PCC at another match. Two of the three MPX carbines failed hard, and ruined their matches. It is not if but when with a MPX, and I would never rely on one for defense.
    Are these "match guns" that are modified, stock shooting light loads, or stock guns shooting "robust" loads like NATO or +p?

There's two federal LE agencies I know of who have adopted the MPX. Just checked with the lead FI from one (who is a member here but tends to not post about his own job), and he says they've been reliable. The quirk seems to be that they needed SIG to replace a number of the guns' pistons to be tuned for the lightweight frang ammo they're mandated to shoot at their range...so they've got some setup for frang as training/qual guns, and the rest for duty.

His words, "They run like a top".

The reason I ask you is that it seems like most of the bad stuff I hear about the MPX comes from PCC competitions, and more often than not they're modified guns as competition guns tend to be, and usually shooting loads optimized for low recoil and not self-defense/duty. I'm wondering if we've had enough time with the platform in the wild to draw a causative correlation......
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Are these "match guns" that are modified, stock shooting light loads, or stock guns shooting "robust" loads like NATO or +p?

There's two federal LE agencies I know of who have adopted the MPX. Just checked with the lead FI from one (who is a member here but tends to not post about his own job), and he says they've been reliable. The quirk seems to be that they needed SIG to replace a number of the guns' pistons to be tuned for the lightweight frang ammo they're mandated to shoot at their range...so they've got some setup for frang as training/qual guns, and the rest for duty.

His words, "They run like a top".

The reason I ask you is that it seems like most of the bad stuff I hear about the MPX comes from PCC competitions, and more often than not they're modified guns as competition guns tend to be. I'm wondering if we've had enough time with the platform in the wild to draw a causative correlation......
    The modifications are after market triggers, and perhaps a Radian charging handle. I am not aware of anyone "tuning" the MPX, like is often done with blow back carbines.

They run "like a top," until they don't. I have had four, currently have two of the latest Gen.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The modifications are after market triggers, and perhaps a Radian charging handle. I am not aware of anyone "tuning" the MPX, like is often done with blow back carbines.

They run "like a top," until they don't. I have had four, currently have two of the latest Gen.
    My current is a few thousand rounds in.

After I “tuned” my MPX to my ammo, I haven’t had a single failure of any kind.

I might be singing a different tune when things fail in the future.

But currently, ammo / bolt / feeding is now perfect after tuning.

It would choke hard when I tried running it before tuning.

I don’t think it’s a gaming platform for people who don’t like deconstructing and problem solving.

Again, I might be singing a different tune if I have trigger failures or barrel failures. But ammo wise I’m 100% over the last 2000 rounds.

I just took the time to really understand failure points in the beginning and tuned there.

I have another one that’s suppressed Steel training only and that fucker is gassy.

The tune on that is different since it’s a dedicated steel practice gun.

Looks like the gas is escaping from the frame between the upper and lower joint in the rear.

Silicone on the charging handle above and below prevents it from going straight into my face though.

@TGS yes this gun is set up for the 90gr frangible. Do your guys also have watering eyes from face gassiness?
    Last edited by JCN; 02-14-2022 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    The reason I ask you is that it seems like most of the bad stuff I hear about the MPX comes from PCC competitions, and more often than not they're modified guns as competition guns tend to be, and usually shooting loads optimized for low recoil and not self-defense/duty. I'm wondering if we've had enough time with the platform in the wild to draw a causative correlation......
    I think most of the choking MPXs are guns NOT OPTIMIZED for the gamer loads and that’s why they choke.

Some people think they can use a stock gun designed for a certain range of ammo power and torture that parameter and neglect to realize they run out of margin for when things get dirty or compromised.

Basically Lawman power and up its fine.

Go below that and you have little to no margin and it’s going to choke.

I’m 99% shooting 150 Syntech and it still makes 150 power factor. But it was choke city before I tuned.

Now I can run even down to 127 power factor Eley PCC with margin and reliability.

Different.

Name:  7C5BC204-A2EB-444D-BC49-C1235E7216FC.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  54.3 KB

All three are set up differently and run specifically on the range of ammo it’s tuned for.

Left is my dry and match gun set up to run 127 PF Eley.

Middle is steel range practice set up to run the 90 gr frangible suppressed.

Right is my practice gun set up to run 150 PF Syntech.

User Tag List