Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig MPX?

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I thoroughly enjoy mine. Much less concussion and recoil than my Rattler.

Attachment 82055
    Someone explain to me the attraction of the SIG dual-rod collapsible stock, other than some nostalgia for the old HK collapsible stocks that are sort of similar. The SIG collapsing/folding stock has a shorter OAL when folded, and has a better cheek weld than the dual-rod collapsible.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    Someone explain to me the attraction of the SIG dual-rod collapsible stock, other than some nostalgia for the old HK collapsible stocks that are sort of similar. The SIG collapsing/folding stock has a shorter OAL when folded, and has a better cheek weld than the dual-rod collapsible.
    I don’t have one, but have spent 15 years or so with side folding Ak’s and some time with an AR with Law Folder. The advantages I see are they add less width to the gun when collapsed, and you need less space to deploy the stock. I can understand why it’s still an option some folks want.

Because I have more money than patience....

I ordered a 16" MPX competition model while I wait the months for the JP5.
    So that way I can compare the X95 (blowback) to the 8" MPX (arrives Monday) to the 16".

If the 8" is more "fun" (whatever that means) for theoretical gaming use then I'll SBR it.

If the 16" is awesome but maintenance heavy (I do own a large ultrasonic cleaner), then I'll just keep one (or two) as ultra low round count match guns until the JP5 comes in.

I have a gen 2 8" that I got going on 3 years ago (I think). I don't keep count of rounds but I know I've run at least 1000 through it, 115 and 124 grain range fodder, HST of various weights, and 147 S&B 147 subsonic most recently. It shoots a ragged hole at 25 yards suppressed or unsuppressed and shoots better at 50 yards than my eyes are capable of with a 503c and 3x magnifier. I don't recall that I've ever had a single malfunction of any description despite not being at all vigilant with respect to cleaning. I put in a Hiperfire MPX specific trigger, Radian charging handle, and ASR flash hider but it's otherwise stock. Other than being over gassed and making me cry when I shoot rapid fire with a can, it's the most amusing gut to shoot that I own. What are the typical failure modes, since common wisdom is that failure is "when, not if"?
    Last edited by DMCutter; 12-30-2021 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DMCutter View Post
    I have a gen 2 8" that I got going on 3 years ago (I think). I don't keep count of rounds but I know I've run at least 1000 through it, 115 and 124 grain range fodder, HST of various weights, and 147 S&B 147 subsonic most recently. It shoots a ragged hole at 25 yards suppressed or unsuppressed and shoots better at 50 yards than my eyes are capable of with a 503c and 3x magnifier. I don't recall that I've ever had a single malfunction of any description despite not being at all vigilant with respect to cleaning. I put in a Hiperfire MPX specific trigger, Radian charging handle, and ASR flash hider but it's otherwise stock. Other than being over gassed and making me cry when I shoot rapid fire with a can, it's the most amusing gut to shoot that I own. What are the typical failure modes, since common wisdom is that failure is "when, not if"?
    More than 1,000 rounds for sure. Besides the gas system, I have had broken firing pin springs (Sig changed the design of the firing pin and spring several times). Others have reported issues with the extractor and spring. I broke a trigger, but that isn't a MPX specific issue.

ILWT sells a spare parts kit, but you deal with that guy knowing it may be unsatisfactory. The contents of that kit provides clues as to what breaks.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I've got an MPX-K that I SBR'd, and then tried to shoot suppressed. It's a fun little gun, and it certainly looks cool. And we all know thats what's really important.

I've never been able to get acceptable accuracy out of the factory barrel suppressed. With the birdcage flash hider it was around 2" at 25 yards, Not bad. When I installed a Tri-lug adaptor, with just the adaptor on the muzzle, the groups opened up to 7-8"+ at 25 yards. I tried two different trips-lug's, including ILWT's MPX specific one. They both had similar results.

With my CGS Kraken on a direct thread adaptor and fixed spacer, about the same.

I eventually picked up an ILWT barrel, with the machined Tri-lug. It's settled in around 2" at 25. But my gun OCD kicked in and since the ILWT barrel has the old style gas block, I'm curious if it will suffer from the hydro-lock issues if it gets wet. One of these days I'll have to go all MAC on it and see.

Still one of the coolest looking PCC's around.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    I have all of the MCX/MPX stock permutations and multiple copies of the MCX/MPX. I vastly prefer the folding stock variations on the MCX for the superior cheek weld with a higher recoil rifle. The major advantage of the dual rod collapsing stock is that it’s a bit faster and easier to deploy/stow in a vehicle or confined space. It also has a more adjustable length for when wearing armor. The folding stock can be a bit stiff.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I have all of the MCX/MPX stock permutations and multiple copies of the MCX/MPX. I vastly prefer the folding stock variations on the MCX for the superior cheek weld with a higher recoil rifle. The major advantage of the dual rod collapsing stock is that it’s a bit faster and easier to deploy/stow in a vehicle or confined space. It also has a more adjustable length for when wearing armor. The folding stock can be a bit stiff.
    Ah ok that makes sense. I've not actually used the dual-rod collapsible stock on an MCX myself, because all my short MCXes are really just SBRed AR15's with MCX conversion kits on them, and the receiver extension ring on the AR15 lower interrupts the slot on the MCX upper for the rods on the dual-rod collapsible stock, preventing its use.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    .. CMMG delayed radial blowback gun ...Have any of you gamer guys seen people running those uppers in USPSA?
    Yes, at least two I know of locally. One of them told me about a bolt failure of some sort (cam pin broke?) but they are definitely softer shooting than my PSA pure blowback gun, I got to try one.

User Tag List