Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol Accuracy at Longer Ranges

I tried the S&B ammo today and it shoots better than the Win NATO.

Course of fire was 5 rounds at 25 to verify zero, 10 rounds at 50, 10 rounds at 75 and another 10 rounds at 75 to end the trip for a total of 35 rounds. I would have moved it down to 100 yards but today was overcast and these sticky notes are not as bright as the pink ones I used on the first page so it all starts to blend in. I feel at 75 yards I could really start calling my shots since the target looked small with a harder focus on the front sight.

I think I did OK at 75 but it wasn't under the best conditions (I know, excuses). First being the guy on the left shooting a T/C Encore Pro Hunter XT muzzle loader accompanied with a cloud of smoke after each shot and two guys on the right shooting some ARs. The other was that I drank half a Monster on the way to the range.

I need to be more consistent with my holds to fix this vertical stringing. Either two shots went in the same hole or I had one really bad flyer.

First shot was on the right, outside of the note and I called the second shot that was right under it. I also saw the front sight dip on the two shots that's low on the cardboard.

Last grouping. I gave up after the first few pulled shots.

johnson, nice shooting. I usually sip on a diet Mountain Dew as I shoot.

I think that, for me and my vision, a large light colored target backer with a black aiming point is best. As I get farther from the target I am using the whole target as an aiming point. I can see the 3" black circle OK to use as an aiming point back to 75 yards, but I still am using the whole target as a visual aid.

Maybe you could use some butcher paper with a B-8 center.

Something interesting about long range shooting. I found a couple of the bullets from my 442 that missed the target at 125 yards. I noticed one bullet embedded in the wooden target stand base. It was sideways and I pulled it out with my fingers. I couldn't find where it might have hit the dirt and bounced up so I guess it tumbled and hit sideways. I looked around and found a hole in another place. The bullet had gone through the first 2x4 and was laying on the ground. Both bullets could be loaded and fired again.

I guess I should dump a little more powder in there for long range.

I need to find a larger piece of cardboard backing that at least covers the black foam which is ~22" wide. I tried shooting at a B-8 before at 50 and all the black just blended together, to my eyes.

50 yards
    Standing - Slow Fire
    Glock 26
    Federal HST 147gr

Ended my session with a five shot group from 50 yards. This is my first attempt ever with a G26 from 50 yards.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  21.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    50 yards
    Standing - Slow Fire
    Glock 26
    Federal HST 147gr

Ended my session with a five shot group from 50 yards. This is my first attempt ever with a G26 from 50 yards.

Views: 619
Size:  21.4 KB
    Very nice!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Very nice!
    Thank you, I'm going to try again this weekend. I didn't know what to expect from the 26.

To "answer" a question posed earlier, i consider anything beyond 100 yards to be long range with a pistol. I shoot to 200 regularly, and 300 when i can. With a 9mm, 300 becomes harder, but out to 200 is pretty easy. A .40 is hardish at 200, but very doable. A .45 is harder still, but 100 is not hard. .357 sig is cheating.

I use ipsc targets for most LR work, and beyond 100, im happy hitting them most of the time. Say 9/10 at 200 and 6 or 7/10 at 300. At 100 and in, only chest hits count.

If you happen to have a 44magnum, then all of this is much easier :-)

For zero distance, I mostly recommend 25 yards. Personally, i have been zerod at 50 for the past 5 or 6 years. No issue with the up close stuff, and very easy to hit high chest at 100.

Duty type guns are very shootable at long range, but really dont compare well to heavy duty revolvers.

I had a chance to shoot a few more five shot groups from 50 yards today.

Here was my best one:

G26
    Standing - Slow Fire
    124gr 9mm Freedommunitions Reman
    3.25" group

Views: 570
Size:  20.6 KB
    Last edited by GAP; 12-20-2015 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    I had a chance to shoot a few more five shot groups from 50 yards today.

Here was my best one:

G26
    Standing - Slow Fire
    124gr 9mm Freedommunitions Reman
    3.25" group

Views: 570
Size:  20.6 KB
    Very good!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Hey GAP, is that a Gen 3 or 4?
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

User Tag List