Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol Accuracy at Longer Ranges

Cross posted from pistol/carbine thread:

My wife and I ended up with a few hours free this afternoon in eastern Utah, and decided to go shoot some carbines. We needed to first verify zero on two carbines, and set up a dual six inch target at 50 yards, an IPSC cardboard at 100 yards, and a 9x12 inch target at 200 yards. It was high 40's, some wind, and high overcast.

After getting the zeroes adjusted, it was one shot, one hit on the steel at 200 yards, with 16 inch AR carbines with an Aimpoint and PMC 55 grain FMJ. Five shot groups at 100 yards were running 1.5-2.0 inches. Here was our shooting position.

Considering this thread, we then went to pistols at 200 yards on the steel. I was 2/3 for hits with my P229 from sitting, then ended 5 hits out of 20 shots. I do think wind was a factor, but it was still very hard. I have HD sights on that pistol, and I think they are quite thick for this kind of shooting. My wife then went with her Glock 26. She hit on the first shot, then struggled to get consistent hits. Here is her shooting position and the range set-up.

You can see the two six inch targets at 50, and the 9x12 steel way out there.

I don't think anyone was suggesting that the pistol could keep up with the carbine at 200, but if there was any doubt, I can confirm it!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Some old ones of mine, that I've posted here before in various threads. I need to do some more of this soon. I find my most accurate groups are with my Gen3 G26 and my Gen4 G19. Both are stock except for standard Trijicon 3 dot sights. Interestingly, these groups are much tighter than I can do with my gen4 G35, which has a TTI connector, 4.5# striker spring, and extra power trigger return spring.

50 yds G26 prone (5 rounds):

100 yds G19 prone (6 rounds):

25 yds G19 (standing free hand, 5 rounds):
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Hrm, that brings up a question. What does everyone consider "long distance" for a pistol?

I figure 75y+ qualifies as long distance to me, figuring a torso sized target.

I need to expand my horizons. I was feeling pretty good about ringing IDPA size steel at 50 yards.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by johnson View Post
    What's the standard target size that you can see at 100 yards for pistols? My range (Department of Conservation) doesn't allow silhouettes or anything depicting a person so it'll have to be a square or circle. Also, what is the general acceptable group size at that distance? For those shooting silhouettes, is a hit anywhere on the body (18" x ~24") considered "good"?
    Would the D-1 target work? http://www.letargets.com/content/nra...ard-target.asp

I've done some longer range pistol shooting over the last couple of days.

Name:  Long Range.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  32.6 KB

Name:  125 Long Range.JPG
Views: 522
Size:  97.2 KB

The aiming point was the big black mark on the target.

Vision is very important. I set up some of the OPOTA targets and shot at 25, 50, 75, 100 and 125 yards with several pistols. The first day I only shot out to 75 yards and added the longer distances the 2nd day. The star of the show was my S&W 442 which had a 5" group at 25, 9" at 50 and 13" at 75 yards. Other pistols were a couple of Glock 9's and a CZ P-01. All had similar groups. Sights were pretty important. If I can't see the sights and the target at the same time I can't hit. It was overcast both days.

The second day I shot at 100 and 125 as well as the closer distances. I only shot 2 pistols. A G-17 and a CZ P-01. The G-17 had a 32" group at 100 and a 20" group at 125. The P-01 was 9" at 100 and 3 shots in 13" with 2 misses low at 125. You really have to know your pistol and ammo to get good hits at distance.

I shot some more long range pistol today from 25 yards out to 125 yards. I was getting 75% hits on a man sized target at 125 yards with my CZ P-01. I was getting 100% hits at 100 yards.

Something I noticed; if your windage is off a little at 25 yards, you will have trouble hitting anything at distance. This is where you have to know your pistol and what POA/POI is for the ammo you are using. I was going to try some lighter bullets, but the POI was far enough off at 25 yards that I didn't even try at distance.

My CZ P-01 is good out to 100 yards and my S&W 442 is good out to 75 yards or a little farther. I had 3 of 5 hits on paper at 100 yards with the 442.

125 yards. Gen 3 G-17 with Warren wave rear, Warren tritium front, .140" wide with a white ring around the dot. I held the top of the front sight level with the top of the target and lowered the rear to the top of the tritium dot. 6 shots fired 5 on the target and 1 in the cardboard just below the target. I was shooting my 147 Bayou handloads with TiteGroup powder.

Name:  125 G-17 USPSA.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  29.6 KB

Nice shooting. What's the horizontal spread on the top 5?

I'll try and make it out to the range tomorrow for some more 50 yard shooting and maybe 75 and 100 yard if the S&B 115gr ammo shoots well out of my CZ. It likes Speer GD 124gr +P but is pricey for this type of testing.

6x with 12 rounds @ 25.
    http://i.imgur.com/lXjYcdv.jpg?1
    Last edited by johnson; 12-11-2015 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnson View Post
    What's the horizontal spread on the top 5?
    12 3/4 inches.

User Tag List