Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol Accuracy at Longer Ranges

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    Luke, you shoot that rare Unicorn. The rest of us have to use sights. LOL
    Lol I shoot other sub optimal pistols (HK, glock, sig..ect) with the same style
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    Attachment 10352

I am using the .140" wide Warren front that has the big white circle around the tritium dot. With my vision I can see it well in more different lighting conditions than any other sight I have tried. And I've tried a lot. It only comes in .215" tall, which hits too high for me, or it comes in .245" tall which hits behind the dot. Maybe this will all change when I get my new glasses.
    What rear sight? The rears are what glock changes for elevation adjustment (4 different heights available from the factory), I don't know if/what other makers have available, but seems like there should be some options for changing POI.

Like this

http://eu.glock.com/english/options_rearsight.htm
    Last edited by Malamute; 09-07-2016 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    What rear sight? The rears are what glock changes for elevation adjustment (4 different heights available from the factory), I don't know if/what other makers have available, but seems like there should be some options for changing POI.

Like this

http://eu.glock.com/english/options_rearsight.htm
    I'm using the Warren Wave rear sight.

I set my sights up so I can drive the dot. I go with Ameriglo because they offer various height front sights and are of good value.

The classic night sight sets come with a .165 front, but shot too low on both of my G26s. I grabbed the .180 height front and they are both right on.

I used 50 yard shots, 25 yard groups, 10 yard Vicker's Tests and 7 yard dot tortures to confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    That is correct

Came back to clarify. I DONT use a SHARP focus on anything. I see my front fiber and use it as a red dot optic and put it in the spot I want to destroy. I can see the target more clearly than I can see the front sight but I'm not like death focusing on the target.
    Dry firing tonight made me think of a better explanation.

I stare at the point on the target I want to shoot, but I stare THROUGH the front sight.. Does that make sense? I almost wonder if my right eye is looking at the front sight and left eye looking at the target?
    i used to wannabe

How do you get fine adjustment on the rears you press in? I have the tool but I'm not positive there is equal distance on each side and my micrometer doesn't get a good read.

Basically I'm hoping my lack of GAP sized groups at 25 are due to me haphazardly pressing in my Warrens. I.e. sun was in my eyes coach.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sadmin; 09-09-2016 at 09:23 PM.
    <Matthew 10:28>

Quote Originally Posted by Sadmin View Post
    How do you get fine adjustment on the rears you press in? I have the tool but I'm not positive there is equal distance on each side and my micrometer doesn't get a good read.

Basically I'm hoping my lack of GAP sized groups at 25 are due to me haphazardly pressing in my Warrens. I.e. sun was in my eyes coach.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    I use a straight edge like a machinist's ruler to make sure the front sight is not skewed. Lay it against the side of the front sight and use the full length (6") of the ruler to verify the front sight is parallel with the sides of the slide.

Then I will do my level best to center the rear sight on the slide. I use a caliper's depth gauge function to measure in from each side looking for an equal number on both sides. Most of the time this works without further adjustment. If a rear sight needs to be drifted I find it is best to use a ultra fine point Sharpie to mark the current location of the sight. Then I will look for the required movement off that mark.
    Last edited by JohnO; 09-09-2016 at 09:48 PM.

Pistol Accuracy at Longer Ranges

That is correct

Came back to clarify. I DONT use a SHARP focus on anything. I see my front fiber and use it as a red dot optic and put it in the spot I want to destroy. I can see the target more clearly than I can see the front sight but I'm not like death focusing on the target.
    Today I had a break with just enough time to shoot one mag, and decided to play around with this. I'm familiar with a similar concept, at least as it was explained to me; the rear sight is like the tube of the AimPoint, it channels your vision like a view finder you're looking through and running/seeing the front sight like the dot. See everything at once while looking at the target and break the shot just like you would run an Aimpoint or open gun. It was always explained as a room distance type thing, and that Barnhart had used this concept to wreck USPSA Matches. I've never tried it at greater distance. Today I shot using this approach from the 30 yards mark on my dad's pistol range. Bear in mind, (not making excuses just stating factors), I haven't slept since 0700 yesterday and spent all night and today at the hospital. My eyes are a little fatigued so getting a crisp front sight picture isn't going to happen, I have to use an alternative method so this is a perfect time to test this. I fired 10 rounds, cold, on an empty WWB I stuck to the berm. I fired as fast as I could see the F/O dot superimposed on the white box. 5 hits, 5 misses; 3 to the right and 2 low. Not great, but not bad and it also makes me think this is something I should explore some more. Thanks for sharing that Luke, I'm going to play around with it some more.

I used this pistol and some 230gr WWB ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Paul Sharp; 09-10-2016 at 02:47 PM.
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    I set my sights up so I can drive the dot. I go with Ameriglo because they offer various height front sights and are of good value.

The classic night sight sets come with a .165 front, but shot too low on both of my G26s. I grabbed the .180 height front and they are both right on.

I used 50 yard shots, 25 yard groups, 10 yard Vicker's Tests and 7 yard dot tortures to confirm.
    Going from a .165 front to a .180 front should lower point of impact not raise it?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Dry firing tonight made me think of a better explanation.

I stare at the point on the target I want to shoot, but I stare THROUGH the front sight.. Does that make sense? I almost wonder if my right eye is looking at the front sight and left eye looking at the target?
    Thanks for the clarification Luke. Do you find that target focused shooting is an easier method for you to "see" your sights on every target at a match or do you find that target focused shooting allows for more speed based vision errors? IE, do you sometimes outrun your sights with target focused shooting, vs front sight focus?
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

User Tag List