Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Pistol Accuracy at Longer Ranges

One of the added benifits of this technique is you can see what your shooting pretty good.
    i used to wannabe

After Sighting in the 10/22 at 50 yds, I thought I would shoot the P2000 as well. Had a few loose rounds in the range bag so results are mixed. Rds 1-2 are SB9B 124 grain and rds 3-5 are AE9FP 147gr. The first round "felt" bad and thought I may have hit the stand but managed to keep it on paper. The rest pleases me. This was shot using the drive the dot/ ghosted sight picture / red dotish method or whatever makes sense method.
    Name:  tmp_8686-20160911_17163983458359.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  33.4 KB

ETA: a 3/4" round paster at 7 yds is very visually similar to the black of the B8 at 50 yds.
    Last edited by CCT125US; 09-11-2016 at 04:35 PM.
    Taking a break from social media.

I bet that group says more about your trigger control than sighting technique.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

the more I shoot the more I realize trigger pull is hands down the most important thing out there. sight alignment being second, but it's far down from 1st.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    the more I shoot the more I realize trigger pull is hands down the most important thing out there. sight alignment being second, but it's far down from 1st.
    (Since this thread is about "longer ranges")
    I am not going to disagree however the importance of sight alignment does increase as the distance to the target increases.

I shot this today. My furthest shot from the center measures 4.5". According to the sight correction calculator on Brownell's web site my sights were misaligned by 0.017". Of course that assumes I was perfectly aimed at the center of the target (sight picture). No one can hold perfectly still so there would have been some movement. Then the question becomes where had the movement taken the pistol. In other words the sight misalignment could have been less or more?

10 rounds @ 50 yards. I shot a mag of 8 and taped those prior. Dan Wesson Valor, 200 grain SWC, 6.5 grains of Unique.

I was at the range on Sunday sighting in an AR (see NFA forum) and warmed the day up shooting the pistol first at 50 yards. First string of 5, then a couple shots of the AR walking it in, then 2 more with the pistol before they called cease fire. I didn't have any binos or spotting scope so I couldn't see where the impacts were but I posted back in June that I started shooting to the right out of the blue. POA was the left bull.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post453216

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    Some old time tips from Elmer Keith. Don't hold the front sight higher and cover the target. Hold the rear sight lower. He explained it better.

Some of the old timers had gold stripes across the front sight to allow for distance.
    Excellent advice, clearly stated by Elmer Keith so many years ago, but largely forgotten these days.

At age 54, I am finding that I can no longer focus sharply on the front sight, through the rear notch, while wearing my prescription eyeglasses, so have thought about trying a taller front sight, with horizontal stripes, at much closer range, too. (Without my spectacles, I am now relegated to point-shooting.)

I am about to try an Aimpoint Micro T-1 on a G17, with an ALG 6-Second mount.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Considering this thread, we then went to pistols at 200 yards on the steel. I was 2/3 for hits with my P229 from sitting, then ended 5 hits out of 20 shots.... My wife then went with her Glock 26. She hit on the first shot, then struggled to get consistent hits. Here is her shooting position and the range set-up.

I came across this looking for something, and recall in another similar discussion I asked about using her elbow/knee for a rest. You mentioned not wanting to give up mobility and movability, but I think when shooting distance, that's of less priority than steadiness. Wanted to suggest shooting some with an elbow rest and see if it helped. Curious if it helps you. I do it if shooting distance or game, I think it helps.

Good shooting, everyone!

I can't seem to get my pistols to shoot as well as my revolvers, but this pistol does well enough, I guess.

User Tag List