Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I consider adjusting my rear sight?

Should I consider adjusting my rear sight?

Yesterday I had another shooting lesson. My shots are tightly grouped but still slightly to the right. (I am left-handed.) My instructor fired my CZ 85 and his shots landed right on.

He stood right behind me as I shot, then told me he thinks we should adjust my rear sight, as he feels that sights often have to be "customized" for shooters.

I also shoot my Glock slightly to the right; so right now I'm not convinced that my problem is the rear sight.

I guess I'm afraid of correcting one shooting defect with another.

Any thoughts?

Randy

Might be how you're establishing your master grip? How much right are we talking at which distance? Being left-handed you might be able to rotate your primary hand slightly clockwise.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

You need to learn to control your trigger finger placement / trigger control without time constraints and at speed.

Adjusting your sights is just masking a problem and rationalizing that you don't need to fix it.

I had a similar problem at a higher level training class. We were shooting USPSA "A-zones" only (15cm x 28cm, or 6'x11") surrounded by no-shoots, 6 shots 'at speed', 6 times in a row, repeated at 7, 10, 15 and 20 yards respectively. When I say 'at speed' I mean from the draw and as fast as you can establish an acceptable sight picture for each shot, and this group of competition shooters wasn't slow by any stretch.

I have an issue where my hits are slightly low left (right handed shooter) and trust me - it matters. It shows up real clearly in the pattern with 6 x 6 x 4 = 144 shots and a small number low-left in the no-shoot area.

Attached is my target of trigger control shame.

Name:  IMG_4594.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  45.7 KB
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

I'll always always always shoot the weak hand supported to see if the shift still exists.

Shoot a paster and then shoot the hole from each shot. A gun that needs adjusted will walk the shots across the target. If you don't have issues using the other hand then you need some work. No biggie, rock on and get to fixin'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

At 15 yards my group was about 4/5 inches off to the side. I did, however, have a few bullseye hits.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
    At 15 yards my group was about 4/5 inches off to the side. I did, however, have a few bullseye hits.

Randy
    My gut is a deviation this big is you and not the sights. I need a slight right deviation of the rear sight on most all pistols and revolvers, regardless of which hand I am shooting them with. Slight meaning an inch or so at 25 yards. 4/5 at 15 means you will likely need your sight drifted partly off the dovetail.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

This is a really hard question to answer. I know plenty of people who zero pistol sights to them and others who swear by centering them in the dovetail. I find it odd, as a community, that we zero our rifles but then instantly blame the shooter when they need to drift their pistol sights. Is there something I am missing?

*edited to add, obviously there is a possibility it is you.
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 03-29-2017 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My gut is a deviation this big is you and not the sights. I need a slight right deviation of the rear sight on most all pistols and revolvers, regardless of which hand I am shooting them with. Slight meaning an inch or so at 25 yards. 4/5 at 15 means you will likely need your sight drifted partly off the dovetail.
    Agreed. I have several really good shooters who need a tiny bit of a right drift on the rear sight to get them really dialed in at 25 yards. When I see folks with Glock sights drifted all the way to the edge of the dovetail, I try to talk them into some trigger control focus...

Too much finger and the tip is probably contacting the frame as the shot breaks, pulling it to the left.

Happens on revolvers often. Chuck Haggard taught me that as I was having problems shooting my S&Ws to the right.

I always bench my pistols to see though, and then adjust the sights from there. Usually that's only elevation, as the mechanical zero (equal distance on both sides of the dove tail down to +/-0.002) is usually spot on at 25m. I have had to adjust my Glocks slightly to the left due to overdriving the gun with my left hand.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Agreed. I have several really good shooters who need a tiny bit of a right drift on the rear sight to get them really dialed in at 25 yards. When I see folks with Glock sights drifted all the way to the edge of the dovetail, I try to talk them into some trigger control focus...
    Looking at the Glock sight on my side and damned if it isn't drifted to the right. Steeking Glocks. I swear they are harder to shoot straight than other options.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

User Tag List