Thread: What's your call?

What's your call?

You have a course of fire that calls for 2 shots at three targets strong-hand, a step back, then a reload

2 more shots at the same three targets weak hand, a step sideways, then another reload

2 more shots at the same three targets free hand.

The gun and all magazines had to be loaded to six rounds so both reloads were "emergency". It was a standard stage and was limited.

The competitor forgets to move and shoots them all from the same spot, doing the reloads as the course of fire demands.

How many PE's does he or she get and why?

I'm asking because I really don't know.

My thought differed from the 3 SO's I talked to about it who changed their answers as they found out what the others thought...lol

My SWAG, as and old (no longer certified) SO, if it's one string, only one PE for failing to follow the required course of fire.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

I would say two positions were missed, so two PEs.

It wouldn't be a penalty for each shot after failing to step back? I'm not very knowledgeable about IDPA rules; I am speaking more to the apparent logic of the situation. If he shoots twelve shots from a closer distance than he should have, isn't that an unfair advantage on all twelve shots? Now I'm curious what the real right answer is under IDPA rules.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I would assess 2 since you screwed up two instances of being required to move, but I'm not a certified RO and don't keep up with the rules (I'm just a convenient guy at the range if there's an emergency RO shortage). After 2 PEs you're basically royally boned regardless if you're a half decent shooter.

USPSA it'd be one per shot not done with the correct stance/position/whatever, which is always hilarious when it happens.
    Last edited by Peally; 12-08-2015 at 12:27 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    USPSA it'd be one per shot not done with the correct stance/position/whatever, which is always hilarious when it happens.
    No small number of USPSA stages have been zeroed that way, including, much to my dismay, by me. Accidentally put a foot on the wrong side of a fault line once and fired *6* shots that way. Sad times.

If the assessments given upthread are correct, IDPA is much more lenient on that stuff than what I'm used to with USPSA.

User Tag List