Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: came *this* close (man vs man match)

We had a funny run today as well.
    My wife was doing pretty well against another shooter who's gun had a pretty serious malfunction early in the stage.
    This let her get 10 or so plates ahead while he was fixing his gun.
    Then she started missing a few shots here and there but she cleaned her side and started trying to hit the stop plate for the win.
    It was like that stop plate was dodging her bullets, she must have missed it 6 or 7 times.
    Then she went to slide lock, with no more mags on her.... empty gun, no mags, stop plate still standing and the opponent fired up and making a charge.
    She dropped to a knee and dug a 9mm round out of the dirt that someone previously had ejected on the "unload and show clear", chambered it and shot the stop plate for the win.
    The next time up she looked like she was going to war, with spare loaded mags stuffed in every pocket.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Both you and your wife have way too much fun

Very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    She dropped to a knee and dug a 9mm round out of the dirt that someone previously had ejected on the "unload and show clear", chambered it and shot the stop plate for the win.
    Name:  dont_give_up3_square_sticker_3_x_3.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  48.1 KB
    Last edited by Lomshek; 12-05-2015 at 10:31 PM.

Site Supporter
    That sounds like a pretty good shoot.

I'm the main gun club Vice Pres. and the action pistol sub-club President.
    I wormed my way into the board so I could turn it into a fun club.
    Yep thats what you've got to do sometimes.
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

Site Supporter
    I had a great time Jody. This was a fantastic match.

I was super happy just to make it out of the first round.

I was like "awww hell..." when I saw I was bracketed against you in round 2.

Glad you did well. Way to go on using a stock gun against the STI uber blasters.

Your wife's run against the other guy was genuinely epic.
    Last edited by fixer; 12-06-2015 at 08:03 AM.

It was probably the most fun I've had all year.

You were shooting a Beretta from concealed and doing a damn good job of it.
    Mag capacity was killing you in this match though, you need some 17's or 20's.
    I was gaming it this match with my 20's and chickened out on running from concealed.

At first I felt bad for her when she ran out of ammo with the stop plate still standing and about a 6 or 7 plate advantage, then is was funny watching her scramble around in the dirt for a round.
    Finally... why did she put it in a magazine first instead of directly in the chamber? Because stress and "muscle memory" that's why.
    She said she knew she needed to load that round in the pistol, and the way she always does that is by loading it in a magazine first.
    Another data point in the "under stress you'll do what you've hard wired".

I might have been closer in the final if I hadn't of lost my focus after the reload.
    I was the first to hit a plate off the draw and was one plate up when we both went to reload.
    Then I heard him get the first shot and hit after the reload and my brain said "you gotta catch up!".
    After that I had too many misses and he pulled ahead and stayed there.
    Last edited by JodyH; 12-06-2015 at 09:34 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

Site Supporter

I might have been closer in the final if I hadn't of lost my focus after the reload.
    I was the first to hit a plate off the draw and was one plate up when we both went to reload.
    Then I heard him get the first shot and hit after the reload and my brain said "you gotta catch up!".
    After that I had too many misses and he pulled ahead and stayed there.

lol...kinda did the same thing in my run against you. I shanked the DA shot (typical) and then hit the panic button.

Jody, I am especially sorry you didn't beat him. You may recall that I carry a list of GM's I have beaten, in the grip compartment of my #1 AR. Even though he was just a common M, in light that you were shooting an HK, I would have added his name to the list, with a notation the athletic guy with the fur hat beat him with just an HK.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

came *this* close (man vs man match)

I've shot two steel matches similar to this. We only shoot two plates at a time. Targets are set from about 7 yards to 60 yards and each plate is worth a different number of points. It's difficult to explain how it's set up but you shoot two plates each stage with a par time of 3 seconds. The start plate and then another plate. It's always head to head but the first time you run the course you are setting your spot in the bracket. They run multiple divisions including a youth .22 division. Everything is run from low ready similar to GSSF.

Last time I cleaned the course with a max score during the bracket setting round. I've never come close to clean during an elimination round but have made it to the semis each time only to be beat by a trooper I train with.

I like the format because it levels the playing field a little bit. Sped is important but accuracy is more important. I love the head to head aspect of it too. Is so much harder to be focused and disciplined. I have to constantly remind myself to focus on the process and not the results. There is also a little strategy involved when and if someone misses a shot. It's a blast.
    Last edited by MGW; 12-06-2015 at 09:38 AM.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Jody, I am especially sorry you didn't beat him. You may recall that I carry a list of GM's I have beaten, in the grip compartment of my #1 AR. Even though he was just a common M, in light that you were shooting an HK, I would have added his name to the list, with a notation the athletic guy with the fur hat beat him with just an HK.
    I'm the opposite.
    I carry a list of the ones who have beaten me (it's a short list).
    When I need to "fuel the hate" I get it out and read it.

User Tag List