Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Carbine vs handgun

It seems pretty self-evident that a person (presumably not on-duty LEO, non-MIL) would be more effective with a carbine, and (b) unlikely to have access to a carbine during a terrorist attack.

As someone who has a fair amount (very modest by P-F standards) of formal pistol training and is aware of the inadequacy of his purely informal carbine training, I'd take a carbine all day long. Not sure why this is even a question....

I'm curious, where are you going with this?
    David S.

Site Supporter
    I was just watching Ben Stoeger's Podcast with new USPSA president Foley and they discussed a USPSA pistol caliber carbine division. I'm quite interested in it to say the least.

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

I should have said this in my initial post -- this wasn't so much which you would pick, since that is obviously a long gun to me, but rather how would a trained good guy do with a pistol against the bad guy with long gun. Also, are there things you could do to improve your odds with a pistol against a rifle, an example being to close with the shooter to take away some of the distance advantage of the long gun.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The Miami/FBI fight is an example of bringing a carbine to a pistol fight.

Bringing a carbine or shotgun to a pistol fight is often like bringing a chainsaw to a knife fight. It's orders of magnitude more effective. It's probably good that guys like Alvin York didn't let that fact dissuade them though.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    An interesting point regarding Paris, the 3 Colombian Cartel guys that were hanging out in a cafe that was hosed down with AK fire returned fire and killed the shooters with their pistols.
    Can you point me to a source for that info? I would appreciate it.

I'll echo those who agree that a carbine would be more effective, but that since you aren't likely to have it on you it is going to be a pistol problem.
    Last edited by Erick Gelhaus; 12-04-2015 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I should have said this in my initial post -- this wasn't so much which you would pick, since that is obviously a long gun to me, but rather how would a trained good guy do with a pistol against the bad guy with long gun. Also, are there things you could do to improve your odds with a pistol against a rifle, an example being to close with the shooter to take away some of the distance advantage of the long gun.
    Someone who keeps a cool head, and can shoot, can certainly surprise the shit out of someone who isn't expecting trouble. You increase your odds by being aware of what's happening around you. The environment, number of attackers and distance will all impact your tactics.

Those that focus on the immediate problem, and dont let themselves get psyched out about it seem to do OK in general.

Doing more distance practice is probably a useful step to reduce the perceived advantage of the long gun. Another thing I think people can psych themselves out about.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Someone who keeps a cool head, and can shoot, can certainly surprise the shit out of someone who isn't expecting trouble. You increase your odds by being aware of what's happening around you. The environment, number of attackers and distance will all impact your tactics.
    This seems to be important.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    The Miami/FBI fight is an example of bringing a carbine to a pistol fight.
    North Hollywood is another.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Bringing a carbine or shotgun to a pistol fight is often like bringing a chainsaw to a knife fight. It's orders of magnitude more effective. It's probably good that guys like Alvin York didn't let that fact dissuade them though.
    Well, the reason those Germans started their bayonet charge was because York had been successfully picking them off with his M1917...
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 12-04-2015 at 11:50 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Surprise, effective use of cover, use of distraction and numbers, etc. There's plenty of examples of pistol packing LEOs and others taking down someone armed with a long gun. I've been trying to work in some 75y+ pistol shooting into each range session now. I have a carbine in my trunk, but sometimes the trunk might as well be a million miles away.

User Tag List