Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carrying Medical Supplies

RE: Gloves

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0028K...73SM3RSXBN8GR#

Those are absolutely the best nitrile gloves I have ever used. Thick, very tear resistant, and have an extra long cuff.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Quote Originally Posted by JDM View Post
    RE: Gloves

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0028K...73SM3RSXBN8GR#

Those are absolutely the best nitrile gloves I have ever used. Thick, very tear resistant, and have an extra long cuff.
    Kimberly-Clark Purple nitrile gloves are what all the area hospitals use, I've rarely had an issue.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Yes. The KC gloves are very good too.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

We use KC at work, sometimes I'll have a cuff tear off but other than that no issues.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Isn't that long like sitting down with a baseball in your back pocket?

I am curious to find a good way to carry medical stuff on my person.
    Its like carrying two wallets, one on either side. Not a big deal if you think that you will more than likely need medical before your firearm
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasage View Post
    We use KC at work, sometimes I'll have a cuff tear off but other than that no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    FOX Chest seals (from biostat) are the best chest seals I've ever used. I have used the HALO chest seals twice and they are meh at best. One didn't seal right, the other wouldn't stick (lots of blood). I've used one FOX chest seal on a guy who took a bullet on an angle (right below the top right clavical on the front pectoral entry, bottom left pelvic girdle exit), and once I stuck it on, the doc's at the ER had trouble getting it off. It heats up in your hand if you hold it long enough. Awesome for what they are.
    Good enough for me. I needed to replace* some expiring combat gauze, so I ordered a two pack of FOX seals to augment my HALOs. I'll put the FOXs in my range IFAK and HALOs in my trunk kit.

If you guys have access to expired, free AED pads (maybe from work replacing the ones on the wall?), consider acquiring them for your various kits if you don't have the money to buy a lot of chest seals. AED pads work quite well, but most people would never think to use them for such.

* Another idea: Everything I've read about combat gauze is that like antibiotics, the clotting abilities start to diminish over time, but that it still "works" to varying degrees for many years afterwards and that the expiration is more related to the packaging. I put the fresh stuff in my range IFAK, and expired stuff in my oh-shit bag I keep in my car in case I happen upon an active shooter or some other qualifying bad day. That stuff is expensive, and I'm not going to buy 10 of them at a time. Even if it's past the exp date, it'll still do at least as good (if not better) as the alternative: regular gauze. Might as well make use of it. Just my thoughts....not sure how applicable it is to other hemostatic gauzes of other clotting agents.
    Last edited by TGS; 12-06-2015 at 12:31 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Good enough for me. I needed to replace* some expiring combat gauze, so I ordered a two pack of FOX seals to augment my HALOs. I'll put the FOXs in my range IFAK and HALOs in my trunk kit.

If you guys have access to expired, free AED pads (maybe from work replacing the ones on the wall?), consider acquiring them for your various kits if you don't have the money to buy a lot of chest seals. AED pads work quite well, but most people would never think to use them for such.

* Another idea: Everything I've read about combat gauze is that like antibiotics, the clotting abilities start to diminish over time, but that it still "works" to varying degrees for many years afterwards and that the expiration is more related to the packaging. I put the fresh stuff in my range IFAK, and expired stuff in my oh-shit bag I keep in my car in case I happen upon an active shooter or some other qualifying bad day. That stuff is expensive, and I'm not going to buy 10 of them at a time. Even if it's past the exp date, it'll still do at least as good (if not better) as the alternative: regular gauze. Might as well make use of it. Just my thoughts....not sure how applicable it is to other hemostatic gauzes of other clotting agents.
    Celox expires in two years. I get a new set for work (two or three) every two years unless I use them. I usually use a loksak for storage on and off duty. Adds a layer of protection for the item and allows me to stuff a bunch of stuff into one bag that I don't want to get wet. The Loksak's work really well, I have a few that are years old, obviously worn but still air and water tight.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Does anyone have any experience or opinions on this http://www.tacmedsolutions.com/produ...t-medical-kit/ .

Thanks for the detailed observations, guys.

So far, what I'm thinking is the following DIY kit should cover what I currently know how to do:
    - Loksak of appropriate size
    - H&H Mini Compression Bandage
    - Celox Rapid Z-Fold gauze
    - Gloves
    - SOFTT-W tourniquet

I think everything but the tourniquet would comfortably fit in my back pocket, and I can continue with the tourniquet in one of my front pockets. Not a fan of an ankle carry setup -- I just can't see myself strapping one on everyday, whereas I can see myself throwing stuff in my pockets.

Next question: where is a good place for medical training?

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    FOX Chest seals (from biostat) are the best chest seals I've ever used. I have used the HALO chest seals twice and they are meh at best. One didn't seal right, the other wouldn't stick (lots of blood). I've used one FOX chest seal on a guy who took a bullet on an angle (right below the top right clavical on the front pectoral entry, bottom left pelvic girdle exit), and once I stuck it on, the doc's at the ER had trouble getting it off. It heats up in your hand if you hold it long enough. Awesome for what they are.
    I like the FOX, and the HALO, and the Hyfin, and the... In my experience, a significant variable that fleshes out the pecking order is storage temp. On the bus or in a room temp kit, the current crop is generally GTG. After storage in temp fluctuations or on the road in the cold, some are better than others. (The ACSs were horrible for that.)

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    And can often be acquired free as PAD programs rotate stock.

Same.

Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    Does anyone have any experience or opinions on this http://www.tacmedsolutions.com/produ...t-medical-kit/ .
    Yes. Small, easily carried. Also good as a throw-kit. Gloves, SOFTT-W, H&H, Beacon are self explanatory. The Esmark is a elastic band like the SWAT-T or Theraband. It's used in conjunction with the H&H instead of a bulkier ace/control wrap or other trauma dressing. The Esmark is also good for a TQ for wee ones, whose limbs are too small for manufactured adult TQ. (I keep rolled ~3ft lengths of Theraband in my kits for that purpose.)
    Last edited by ST911; 12-06-2015 at 11:39 AM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List