Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Carrying Medical Supplies

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    How much did that cost, and how many improvised TQs does it provide you?
    How many I can't say. I just went with an even number (20 yards). I suppose if the injured are petite it can provide several. If it's Roseanne then one or two? Webbing was $39 for 20 yards of 1.5" wide in red.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01L2...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Five pair of bamboo chopsticks were $8
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00XW...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One pair of titanium were $16
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B018P...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Most of the training I've seen for improvising tourniquets required little tension, poor technique, and no accountable measures. This produced a false sense of confidence in what students could do later and the real effectiveness of the materials they were using. Improvised methods are better than nothing, and they can work to an extent, but make your training real and go in with both eyes open.
    Last edited by ST911; 01-20-2017 at 09:26 AM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    How many I can't say. I just went with an even number (20 yards). I suppose if the injured are petite it can provide several. If it's Roseanne then one or two? Webbing was $39 for 20 yards of 1.5" wide in red.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01L2...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Five pair of bamboo chopsticks were $8
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00XW...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One pair of titanium were $16
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B018P...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    So let's go with 6, since that's all the improvised windlasses that you're providing yourself other than field expedient items.....like a baton, which can be extended, used as a windlass, and then tucked through a belt loop so that tension is kept even if you pass out. Probably the coolest improvised windlass I've been exposed to, but I'm getting off track.

6 improvised TQs which will take a long time to employ, and statistically have very low success rates. You might be a master at it, and I don't doubt you've developed some skills in their application......but in order to apply 6 improvised TQs, you're either going to be using other people to take some gear and apply on others, or you're going to let patients bleed out because it's going to take a long time to get through 6 improvised TQs on top of triage and applying your primary TQs....so, I think it's fair to assume a very low % of success.

6 improvised TQs for $63.

6 SWAT-Ts for $60.

6 CATs or SOFT-W for $180.

6 RATs for $90.

Doesn't seem like that much of a savings, especially in the grand scheme of things when efficacy is considered.

Respectfully, I feel this is a good example that improvised TQs are what you do with what you've got when you have no other choice, or no prior ability to arrange for a better solution; IMHO, I don't think it's a good idea to plan to use improvised TQs if other options are feasible. That's a theoretical oxymoron in practice.
    Last edited by TGS; 01-20-2017 at 12:59 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

In a small zip lock bag in cargo pocket or windbreaker jacket pocket; Israeli 4 inch dressing, CAT TQ, gloves and flat NAR gauze.
    I also have a ankle kit if wearing slacks which holds TQ, chest seal, gloves and gauze.
    Also consider putting a small IFAK without a pouch in a zip lock bag in your vehicle door pocket so in the event of a mishap (car crash) you can reach down and have something close by without exiting vehicle to get to trunk.
    Door kit suggestions;
    4x4 gauze pads (5)
    Roller gauze (2)
    5x9 non stick pad (2)
    4 inch Israeli bandage
    TQ
    Roll of 2 inch tape
    gloves (5 pairs)
    7 inch shears
    Pocket CPR mask

blah blah blah.
    Uhhhh....

so....there's a reason I didn't go to Annapolis. Math. As we see here.

6 pairs of chopsticks would be 12 windlasses. So 12 improvised TQs for $63.

Quote Originally Posted by 58thunderbird View Post
    In a small zip lock bag in cargo pocket or windbreaker jacket pocket; Israeli 4 inch dressing, CAT TQ, gloves and flat NAR gauze.
    I also have a ankle kit if wearing slacks which holds TQ, chest seal, gloves and gauze.
    Also consider putting a small IFAK without a pouch in a zip lock bag in your vehicle door pocket so in the event of a mishap (car crash) you can reach down and have something close by without exiting vehicle to get to trunk.
    It's a good idea, and what I did before I started wearing an ankle kit everyday.

A downside is that an accident can jar the kit loose and it go flying out of reach if it's not a good fit. This is a good solution: http://www.rescue-essentials.com/hea...uch-m-a-t-kit/
    Last edited by TGS; 01-20-2017 at 08:44 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

That is pretty much how we are running all of our vehicles - NAR Squad kits that basically use the fanny pack straps to attach to the headrest. They're expensive but will cover down on any nasty injuries in a collision.

Uhhhh....

so....there's a reason I didn't go to Annapolis. Math. As we see here.

6 pairs of chopsticks would be 12 windlasses. So 12 improvised TQs for $63.

I agree with your logic. I was just thinking while watching one team cut out seat belts and what not (batons were also used by some), there must be a better way. If we have so many casualties that we ran out of TQ's having those supplies seemed faster and more cost effective to me. Perhaps I'm over thinking it but I saw no harm in keeping them around. I do have a headrest IFAK in my work car and one in the center console of my POV. My work car also has extra TQ's mounted by each front door, the back of the center console (visable and reachable for passengers in the rear), and in the back by the lift gate (where there's another IFAK).
    Last edited by El Cid; 01-21-2017 at 01:36 PM.

How viable are TQ's on a sling? I planned on getting a Sierra Tac Sling for my home defense AR and saw they actually had a sling with a RATS inside so I figured why not. Any LE guys have any sort of experience with slings with TQ's?

Name:  website_1_1024x1024.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  54.0 KB
    Last edited by Olim9; 01-21-2017 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Olim9 View Post
    How viable are TQ's on a sling?
    Other than the RATS being a shitty TQ, that's an interesting idea. Although, I don't see any advantages over a CAT/SOFTT-W attached to the butt stock.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropkick View Post
    Other than the RATS being a shitty TQ, that's an interesting idea. Although, I don't see any advantages over a CAT/SOFTT-W attached to the butt stock.
    It's all about mission, I used to carry only SOFTT-W but carry RATS now due to having two small kids as well as minimizing the profile of the carry at my workplace. Will agree that the RATS is most likely a less effective TQ overall.

User Tag List