Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carrying Medical Supplies

Carrying Medical Supplies

What are you guys carrying -- if anything -- and how do you do it? On body or off body, or a mix of both?

I've got a SOFTT Wide flatpacked using this method. It works in the front pocket of my jeans, but with my other stuff it can get crowded. I have an aversion to putting stuff in my back pockets, but I've considered sticking some gauze or QuikClot back there. Applying a tourniquet or gauze + pressure is about the extent of my first aid knowledge right now (I need to fix that), so that's all I'd currently carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    What are you guys carrying -- if anything -- and how do you do it? On body or off body, or a mix of both?

I've got a SOFTT Wide flatpacked using this method. It works in the front pocket of my jeans, but with my other stuff it can get crowded. I have an aversion to putting stuff in my back pockets, but I've considered sticking some gauze or QuikClot back there. Applying a tourniquet or gauze + pressure is about the extent of my first aid knowledge right now (I need to fix that), so that's all I'd currently carrying.
    full ifak in my backpack. Either in my vehicle or in the classroom. If I am walking around a large area with my wife, I usually throw the low profile backpack on my back.

After taking the HiTS/Lone Star Medics class a few weekends ago I now carry an EDC kit from ITS Tactical and a Benchmade Seven safety cutter on my ankle and an IFAK in my back pack.

The ITS EDC kit has 1 Quikclot gauze, 1 SOFTT-W TQ, and 1 pair of nitrile gloves all vacuum sealed in a nice compact package. In my back pack, I have a CAT TQ, a second SOFTT-W TQ, 2 Israeli bandage, 2 different chest seals (Halo and Russel), Quikclot, a solar blanket, and a mix of other medical related items.

I have first aid kits stashed literally everywhere. Car, work, home, backpack I carry to work, Camelbak I tote on weekends. So I am rarely more than 60 seconds from one.

I also carry a SOFTT-W, Quikclot gauze and pair of latex gloves on my right ankle. I always have two knives on me.

Lately I have been carrying a second BUG on my left ankle.

I was in the same class as Crusader8207, and have been practicing my TQ application times. I also bought a TQ for each of my minions at work. I brought back a bunch of BBQ to work on Tuesday, and we all practiced with the handy blue one. It did not hurt at all that a coworker was recently injured in a auto accident, and that raised awareness.

Nothing like "the teachable moment".

On body I carry a RAT TQ and a small roll of duct tape in my front left hand pocket. I plan on upgrading my TQ to a CAT on my belt held by cloth hair ties. Just waiting for the CATs I ordered to come in. The rest are in my car bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    FWIW, I have a simpler flat-folding technique for the SOFTT-W:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?12616

Helpful as always, Tom. Just gave it a try -- it works well.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I have a small medkit with latex gloves, 2 israeli bandages and trauma shears in the center console of my car. Only other items I'd probably want are TQs of some kind. Not picky which. Honestly for traumatic injuries, TQs/israeli bandages are all you need. That and a fully charged cell phone to call 911. I am not (yet) an ED doc but from the little trauma I have seen, generally either you are dead or you are not, and for the few cases I am aware of where people were in the middle the only thing that really made the difference was getting to a hospital (ideally a trauma center with a trauma surgical team) ASAP.

Sensei or other ED/surgical attendings can correct me if I am wrong.

I normally have a pack of Combat Gauze, RAT or SWAT-T and an Izzy of some size. They typically live in a thick mylar zip bag, go in the cargo pocket or in a small bag if that's how I'm about that day. I've also used a crappy unkle mike's ankle holster rigged up to carry the RAT and combat gauze if I'm wearing fancy pants.

I did just pick up a couple of the TacMed ankle rigs to try out during the LAPG cyber sale. It has to be better than my jury-rigged UM garbage. They also come with a pretty high tech chest seal, something that my medical has been lacking. Stocked up on some extra Izzy bandages of various sizes to put in more bags and a second in each vehicle.

I've been carrying a SOFTT-W flatpacked in one back pocket, and quickclot in the other back pocket. I keep the quickclot in the black "MED" sleave that comes with the ITS Tactical EDC kit. My theory is that it helps protect the vacuum packaging.

I prefer this to carrying the entire vacuum packed ITS EDC kit, as that's a bit bulky for my taste. It makes all the difference for me to separate them. I also keep the ITS EDC kit in my jacket pocket this time of year.

Lately I've taken to carrying a ResQme keychain tool in my watch pocket. I attach it to the back(top) end of my paracord key lanyard. It occurred to me that aside from cutting seat belts and breaking windows, it works dandy to cut through clothing safely. I tested it on an old pair of jeans and it cut like butter.

In my SUV I carry a better kit that attaches to my passenger headrest in this bag. http://www.amazon.com/Orca-Tactical-.../dp/B015QHZBDM. It is compact enough to not be a PITA, but is very prominent for people to find in a "quick grab the kit from my car!" scenario, or if I get in an accident and am unconscious, somebody may see it and know how to use it. It looks like nothing else other than a medical kit.

After reading this thread I'm going to try moving the SOFTT-W to my ankle. Also gonna "put dog ear'd riggers tape over the rubber bands to help facilitate getting the rubber bands off" like Sean M suggested in one of the linked threads.
    Last edited by frozentundra; 12-05-2015 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Battery dying.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I have a small medkit with latex gloves, 2 israeli bandages and trauma shears in the center console of my car. Only other items I'd probably want are TQs of some kind. Not picky which. Honestly for traumatic injuries, TQs/israeli bandages are all you need. That and a fully charged cell phone to call 911. I am not (yet) an ED doc but from the little trauma I have seen, generally either you are dead or you are not, and for the few cases I am aware of where people were in the middle the only thing that really made the difference was getting to a hospital (ideally a trauma center with a trauma surgical team) ASAP.

Sensei or other ED/surgical attendings can correct me if I am wrong.
    In a stateside hospital, you're typically seeing people who are either dead or not by the time the wambulance shows up, anyway. Your sample is biased, to say the least, as you would likely never see the patients that hemostatics would make a difference on since theyre going to the ME instead as they weren't provided that critical first aid we're discussing...

Ive seen more than a few patients who effective combat gauze use would have likely altered their outcomes for the better (i.e. they'd still be alive). Moreso than we used epinephrine for allergic reactions, yet we carried epi and not combat gauze.....

Im not sure if you meant it as I read it, but Id open your opinions to be swayed by people other that ED/surgical attendings who do not provide care outside of a hospital. Last time I checked, care under fire or on scene isn't performed by ED/surgical attendings.
    Last edited by TGS; 12-05-2015 at 12:50 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List