Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry Pistol Recommendations

What about the people who shoot a Shield, P2000SK or G26 better than most here who use a G19 for the same drills? Should they switch too? I know the answer will be, "but then they can shoot a G19 even better." Maybe.. But ignore that for now.

Are these comments based on the individual's needs/skill set or on what every thinks they need?

Genuinely curious on the above. Note: I haven't stated my stance on it after the capacity/frame size battle started.

There's a few things to remember regarding the casual, novice shooter who is just now getting into this whole concealed carry thing:
    1) They're afraid of being 'outed'
    2) Normal IWB carry can mean a change in wardrobe- you have to dress around the gun.
    3) AIWB carry is pretty uncomfortable- it takes a good belt (expensive) a while to break in, and you need a proper holster (expensive) for it to work
    4) IWB can be uncomfortable for some jobs
    Thus, like dieting and exercising, carrying can easily be one of those things where one starts well, but inconvenience, discomfort, and routine causes one to fade off.
    As the old saw goes, the perfect is the enemy of the good. Better a Shield present in the pocket than a Glock 17 in the safe.

Thank you for all of the input. I provided links including a recommendation to browse this whole forum. I even offered to take my friend to a range where he could try various pistols to see what he might like best. He did not take me up on the shooting, and I do not know whether he performed much research. For the curious, he bought a Springfield XD-S 9mm. He liked the double safety and the way the gun felt in his hand. Also, the Springfield was a little less expensive than the 43, and, reportedly, Springfield will send him two free magazines (he called them clips) once he registers his purchase.

Once again, thank you for your posts.

you can lead a horse to water...

When I teach my CCW classes my most often recommended handgun is the Shield 9mm.
    It's small enough that they don't really have to commit to a significant lifestyle change in order to carry it.
    It's in a suitable caliber for self defense and at 7+1 it has plenty of bullets for every situation someone of their skill level will be able to have a chance of solving.
    In general Shield 9mm's are inexpensive, reliable and durable.
    9mm ammo is cheap enough that they might actually go to the range every once in a blue moon.
    It's large enough and soft enough shooting that they might actually practice and might actually hit what they're aiming at.

I look at it as baby steps.
    Just getting someone to carry regularly is a big first step, to do that it has to be "easy".
    Once someone starts carrying regularly they usually start taking things more serious and seek out more instruction.
    After getting more education and becoming more comfortable with carry they usually step up in pistol size on their own.

Over the years I've seen way more people who started out on a Shield still carrying that Shield or something larger 2 or 3 years later than those who start out carrying a 5" steel 1911 and are still carrying it 6 months later.
    The vast majority of the time the people who started out with the full size "fighting pistol" end up not carrying anything at all or are down to a LCP in their pocket.
    Last edited by JodyH; 12-29-2015 at 01:32 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    ... he bought a Springfield XD-S 9mm.
    Does he know those guns were recalled for a slight problem… as in, they slam-fired when you drop the slide and chamber a round from the magazine?

I know of two of these, both in 9mm, that were sent back for the fix, returned, and guess what? One had already done it prior to being returned. When it happened again, that owner, a bit shook up, called Springfield and reported the issue. This is what he was told:

"Our records show we have fixed that gun. You can send it back, at your cost, and we'll clean it for you, but we have already repaired it." Great customer service, eh? Of course, knowing what experience I, and others, have had with them, I'm not surprised. I wouldn't buy a used recoil spring from those clowns.

Dunno about the other one; its hearsay. I know the first guy.

Anyway… if I were you, Shotgun, I'd be real careful if I went shooting with your pal and he pulls that pistol out.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Does he know those guns were recalled for a slight problem… as in, they slam-fired when you drop the slide and chamber a round from the magazine?

I know of two of these, both in 9mm, that were sent back for the fix, returned, and guess what? One had already done it prior to being returned. When it happened again, that owner, a bit shook up, called Springfield and reported the issue. This is what he was told:

"Our records show we have fixed that gun. You can send it back, at your cost, and we'll clean it for you, but we have already repaired it." Great customer service, eh? Of course, knowing what experience I, and others, have had with them, I'm not surprised. I wouldn't buy a used recoil spring from those clowns.

Dunno about the other one; its hearsay. I know the first guy.

Anyway… if I were you, Shotgun, I'd be real careful if I went shooting with your pal and he pulls that pistol out.

This is the first I've heard of this. It's very disconcerting as I know of several people that are carrying the XDs.

We're these newer post recall pistols with the issue?
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I've seen no mention at all of the P30SK. Is that not option not worth consideration?

Site Supporter
    I posted this on TFL awhile ago:

Interesting comment from Shooting Industry Magazine
    This is from the current issue and a discussion of how training benefits gun stores:

Quote:
    “We sell at least one gun per class — in addition to student
    tuition, of course,” Strayer said. “Typically, the buyer is either
    someone who came with an unreliable low-price pistol, and
    buys something better after the class, or someone who bought
    an Airweight .38 for its size and found out it’s difficult and
    uncomfortable to shoot well, so they buy something like a
    GLOCK 19 or a compact Springfield XD or S&W SHIELD.

Site Supporter
    I am not a professional firearms instructor and a middle of the road USPA-IDPA shooter. I have multiple friends who are not "gun" people who have bought guns recently. I have taken multiple families shooting (husband, wife, high school or college age kids) for a firearms safety and introductory pistol class.

Observations:
    1) They really paid attention to the safety briefs - every gun is loaded, etc.
    2) They were surprised that the TV/Movie depiction of pistol shooting was not accurate.
    3) Hitting target with pistol was harder that they thought.
    4) Father (non-gun person) had bought college age daughter a S&W Airweight snubnose 38 - it was painful to shoot. No one liked shooting it with normal 38SPL ammo (including me).
    5) Everyone shot the Glock 42 very well - I know that 380 does not meet the carry threshold but is it better to get great hits with a G42 or misses with Airweight? What if they will actually carry a G42? Hope that ammunition manufacturers will strive to develop 380 ammo that can meet carry criteria.
    6) Everyone was able to get reasonable hits with S&W M&P FS and PRO 5 inch 9mm's.
    7) Ended all classes with groups shooting my PSA AR9 carbine with TASCO PROPOINT PDP3 on pistol steel including classic plate rack - much grinning and great way to end class.

Oh yeah. I was born and raised in the South - GA; all of these families are immigrants to GA from the North and none and had ever seen or touched a "real" gun before. I see this as part of my effort to preserve gun rights.
    Last edited by ranger; 12-30-2015 at 12:07 PM.

User Tag List