Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 and beyond -- a hi cap world

I don't always carry a reload with my G19; it doesn't really bother me, I figure 16 is enough to exfil my wife and I. Would another mag be awesome? Yes and I should try to carry one more often but I honestly can't see it being a game-changing factor. The Pocket Shield I run my light from has an open Ten-Speed pouch that I'll put a 17rd in.

I think the biggest change that I have done is the addition of a SWAT TQ or a "Pocket DARK-mini" from Dark Angel; Westgate changed how I approached a lot of activities.

And of course, sometimes I"ll just have my J-Frame, a light, and a SWAT TQ on me and I don't feel less able at all.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

When I was in the military and carried on a CCL it was typically a full size to mid size gun and a spare mag. Only had a 2nd gun if I was on a long road trip away from familiar areas. Once I got into LE I kept the single spare mag in plain clothes on and off duty. I added a permanent BUG. As my lower back reminded me that it hates me, I added some weight to the other ankle to try and balance the baby Glock. That turned into a spare full size mag and a tourniquet.

Always had a handheld light and the last 5 or so years a weapon light is always on my primary pistol. I just suck it up and dress around it off duty. I don't think it's that difficult with some effort. My reloads are always 17rd mags as reloading in a fight with a G26/27/19/23 mag makes zero sense in my book. I may replace the 17rd mag reload on my belt with a 22rd one using TTI basepads.

Oh and after seeing the lunatic bikers attack the family in the Range Rover up in NYC, I started keeping a 33rd mag in the door pocket.

Seeing the ISIS/Islamic crap won't change my load out for now (other than the spare 22rd mag). But I'm trying to decide if I can get a lock box in my POV for a rifle and armor/placards.

Yeah...I guess maybe CCWing the VP9 might not be such a bad idea after all...

I've been carrying a hi-cap with a spare mag off duty for a while now. Don't have any plans to change that. About the only thing I've changed recently is to add an oh shit bag with extra rifle mags and medical stuff to the back of my unmarked. I had a couple extra mags on my plate carrier to go with the two mag-cinched in the rifle. Since I had a bunch of mags and gear sitting around doing nothing I figured it couldn't hurt to have some extra mags/medical in a grab and go bag.

I've got enough "expired" armor laying around that I've thought about throwing it in the trunks of my POVs with some other medical stuff/ammo. I'm not a fan of leaving long guns in trunks, but I'm re-evaluating that.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Short of complying with state specific laws on magazine capacity, recent events reinforce my decision to carry a hi cap pistol whenever possible.

We love to debate 9 vs 45, and the shoot ability of different platforms, but I can't see choosing to have a single stack pistol the day two or more terrorists… OR GANGBANGERS... with long guns enter your life. Either running out of ammo, or firing a few shots and having to decide whether to take your pistol apart to reload, seem like really bad things.
    FIFY.

And I must say, I'm leaning in that direction. I loves me my big bullets, but nine in the gun and ten on the belt suddenly seems a bit… well… chancy?

I put a set of Trijicon HDs on my USP Compact 9mm this morning. Gonna play with that the next few range sessions. I'm not quite to the "Holy cow! Panic button!" stage yet, where I toss panache to the wind and go for max capacity with my Grocks…

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    FIFY.

And I must say, I'm leaning in that direction. I loves me my big bullets, but nine in the gun and ten on the belt suddenly seems a bit… well… chancy?

I put a set of Trijicon HDs on my USP Compact 9mm this morning. Gonna play with that the next few range sessions. I'm not quite to the "Holy cow! Panic button!" stage yet, where I toss panache to the wind and go for max capacity with my Grocks…

eh whats two rounds for hk quality

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Nothing has changed for me, I still carry a Gen 4 G19 with a spare mag any time it's legal for me to do so and always keep spare mags in my car or backpack.
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Interested what people do/carry in 10 round limited states or localities.
    Last edited by Cowtown44; 12-03-2015 at 08:48 PM.

2015 and beyond -- a hi cap world

228 (15 +1) and an 18rd spare every day. I used to occasionally leave the spare at home, but no more.

I'd like to carry two spares but I can't figure out how to do that without it sucking.
    Last edited by JDM; 12-03-2015 at 08:50 PM.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowtown44 View Post
    10 round mags?
    Standard capacity mags owned in CA before the year 2000 are legal to own, possess and use.
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

User Tag List