Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Warriors Way RAT blade + trainer + sheath group buy

Quote Originally Posted by Matt C. View Post
    First off, the knife was well received.
    I had intentions of drawing from SOB position using a saber grip. Ya know, in close, tangled up using rising thrusts (under the chin, bicep, groin) coupled with forearm and elbow strikes transitioning multiple side body thrusts.

I got vetoed. Reverse grip, strong side is where we ended up.
    Basic self defense drills against an incoming strike had us attacking the limb. Very similar to kenpo, working up the arm to the head/neck but ice picking all the way. Very basic but a foundation to build from.

The virtues of the blade geometry was evident as it will find hard to get at places. (which I believe is it's strength, in the same vein as the Fairbairn-Sykes fighting knife)

All in all I'm very confident in the package. A blade that will do the business and a quality trainer to keep me from hurting my dumb ass.
    Are you working specific targeting drills or just a course of reps meant to be used defensively?
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I carry in a traditional other strong side "samurai" style carry, IWB.

When I draw, reverse grip other strong hand, I make sure to use my index finger to align the rest of my grip - index finger against the hook.

When I draw, straight grip strong hand, I make sure to use my pinky to find the hook and align the rest of my grip accordingly. Once you get used to doing something like this the draw becomes pretty easy and intuitive - exactly how the blade was designed to be.

Furthermore, if you carry it horizontal, across the belt, either direction, you will do the same as above.
    That's what I found too.

Are you working specific targeting drills or just a course of reps meant to be used defensively?
    Even the most basic drills (that I do)have specific targeting.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Even the most basic drills (that I do)have specific targeting.

Just asking since you said "ice pick all the way" and I am not entirely sure what you meant by that.
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

The one technique that comes to mind was the block / intercept with the left arm and a stab to the crook of the arm, bicep, shoulder, neck in rapid succession. That's where I came up with that phrase

The one technique that comes to mind was the block / intercept with the left arm and a stab to the crook of the arm, bicep, shoulder, neck in rapid succession. That's where I came up with that phrase

Since we are on the topic...

You always want to be targeting timers and switches, knowing human anatomy is very helpful in this, not just big arterial veins but also muscle groups which work as switches.

While I understand the "more the better" in terms of striking with a blade, the fact of the matter is that blades like the Rat are designed to do the job without the requirement of a lot of strength. It is less of a punch and more of a pencil tip breaking. Imagine you taking a #2 pencil and sharpening it, then holding that pencil in any grip position and attempting to break the pencil tip off in a person but targeting exactly what you trying to make contact with - a timer or switch preferably.

The bicep is a very large muscle group striking right in the middle may not cause a switch reaction, but the teres major and minor are not large, and the bicep at the top of the arm, near the quadrangular space, if cut properly will switch that arm off, especially if you hit the nerves in that area. Specifically the Brachial Plexus, while it is very difficult to get to from the front because there are bones that mask and cover it on both sides, that is essentially the area you want to target. The Rat is definitely strong enough and precise enough to do that particular cut, especially in close range, it is not a bone cutting tool however, it is specifically designed for flesh.

When targeting the neck you need to be very specific, as in surgical precision. Look for avenues of access to the inner carotid and the outer carotid (internal and external). They are easiest to access and the easiest to target because they are only an inch or so from the skin but are small enough that the require precision targeting.

Training with intent and specific targeting guidelines allows you to properly address a threat through switches and timers without having to expend a lot of energy.

The above is not meant as a lesson or dis for you or anyone, I just want to put the info out there so people understand the concepts, methods and reasons why the Rat is the way it is.
    VDMSR.com

Since we are on the topic...

You always want to be targeting timers and switches, knowing human anatomy is very helpful in this, not just big arterial veins but also muscle groups which work as switches.

While I understand the "more the better" in terms of striking with a blade, the fact of the matter is that blades like the Rat are designed to do the job without the requirement of a lot of strength. It is less of a punch and more of a pencil tip breaking. Imagine you taking a #2 pencil and sharpening it, then holding that pencil in any grip position and attempting to break the pencil tip off in a person but targeting exactly what you trying to make contact with - a timer or switch preferably.

The bicep is a very large muscle group striking right in the middle may not cause a switch reaction, but the teres major and minor are not large, and the bicep at the top of the arm, near the quadrangular space, if cut properly will switch that arm off, especially if you hit the nerves in that area. Specifically the Brachial Plexus, while it is very difficult to get to from the front because there are bones that mask and cover it on both sides, that is essentially the area you want to target. The Rat is definitely strong enough and precise enough to do that particular cut, especially in close range, it is not a bone cutting tool however, it is specifically designed for flesh.

When targeting the neck you need to be very specific, as in surgical precision. Look for avenues of access to the inner carotid and the outer carotid (internal and external). They are easiest to access and the easiest to target because they are only an inch or so from the skin but are small enough that the require precision targeting.

Training with intent and specific targeting guidelines allows you to properly address a threat through switches and timers without having to expend a lot of energy.

The above is not meant as a lesson or dis for you or anyone, I just want to put the info out there so people understand the concepts, methods and reasons why the Rat is the way it is.
    No argument with anything you said.

deleted
    Last edited by UNK; 08-17-2016 at 11:11 AM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

User Tag List