Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SIG P226 MECGAR MAGS 15 vs. 18 RDS FOR CARRY/DUTY

SIG P226 MECGAR MAGS 15 vs. 18 RDS FOR CARRY/DUTY

I've been debating which magazines to standardize on for my SIG P226. I can get OEM style parkerized 15 round($20) or AFC flush fit 18 round($25) both made by Mec Gar. Are the 18 round magazines proven reliable enough for duty use such as being loaded for long lengths of time? Todd I read a thread from 2009 on another forum where you had reservations on carrying the 18 round magazines for serious use such as duty carry and recomended going with the 15 rounders. Does your opinion still hold true 7 years latter? Thanks.

I've been carrying 18 and 20 round Mec-Gar magazines for my Beretta for over a year now without any issues.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

The 18 round MecGar is essentially the same magazine as the MecGar AFC for the Beretta 92 and CZ 75(with tiny differences reflecting each platform and a different color follower) and is my standard magazine for all three platforms.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I like and use both without issue. When I order new mags they are the 18 rounds, because why not? One thing to note is the slightly different body shape. The edges of the 18 round mag are slightly more rounded and doesn't fit as tight in some carriers.

I've used MecGar mags for Berettas and Sigs for years without issue. The 18 rounders are approved for use with our duty P226s and I carry them in my active killer bag. Just remember that magazines are disposable and trash them should they start to give you issues.
    "Gettin' everybody to love me is a full time job..." - Kenny Powers

I can't speak to the Sig models, but the MecGar mags that I used in my 3rd gen S&W 9mms were top notch gear, both the 17 round flush fit and the 20 round extended mags.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Thanks for the replies. Good stuff.

I've been using Mecgar 18 rounders for both duty and otherwise for years and actually find them quite a bit more robust than the parkerized factory mags. Our agency began replacing issue mags with them 5+ years ago. They're GTG.

Incidentally the Mecgar 20 rounders (18s sold with + two bases) run like a sewing machine also. I found out the hard way, however, at a major, that they do NOT fit in the USPSA Production class box. :-(

t

I don't have a SIG P226 but the Mec-Gar 18 round flush fit and 20 round "Plus 2" mags for my Beretta 92FS have functioned perfectly. As you probably know, standard factory Beretta mags for the 92 also have a 15 rd capacity.

Does anyone have a pic of the SIG MecGar 15 rd follower compared to the MecGar 18 round mag follower?

User Tag List