Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SIG P226 MECGAR MAGS 15 vs. 18 RDS FOR CARRY/DUTY

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    The answer is yes....there can be compatibility issues. Sig changed the construction design of the 226 mag catch to what they use in the 320 design....a two piece unit. Our SWAT team moved to 9mm 226 Legions a few years ago after cracking about 20 .40 S&W 226 frames. They ordered the 18 round Megan's for the guns, which had worked flawlessly with the T&E guns....but 9 days before our guns shipped, Sig changed the mag release design. It CAN be an issue.....don't let them tell you otherwise. The mags would just not lock in place, and would fall out during firing.
    I am having this exact issue with a newly purchased P-226 MK 25. Mec-Gar 18 won’t lock into place and fall out under recoil.

Site Supporter
    Can the mag catch be replaced with an older style?

What is the QC status of current production P226s?

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Can the mag catch be replaced with an older style?

What is the QC status of current production P226s?
    Yes, the two style mag catches are interchangeable on the 226.

On the QC question, not sure large scale wise. The 50 226 Legions we got did have the issue with the mecgar mags. A couple of guys also complained that the sights were wildly off. Quick confirmation zero by the range staff, and a reminder that Sig generally regulates their sights for a 6 o'clock hold at 25 yards "cured" that complaint by a couple members of the SWAT team. *sigh*

Yes, the two style mag catches are interchangeable on the 226.

On the QC question, not sure large scale wise. The 50 226 Legions we got did have the issue with the mecgar mags. A couple of guys also complained that the sights were wildly off. Quick confirmation zero by the range staff, and a reminder that Sig generally regulates their sights for a 6 o'clock hold at 25 yards "cured" that complaint by a couple members of the SWAT team. *sigh*
    Did you have to replace the magazine catches on your guns?

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by stinx View Post
    Did you have to replace the magazine catches on your guns?
    We sent four of the guns back to the factory. They replaced them with new mag catches. Said we had worn out the part with aftermarket magazines. MecGars.....in brand new guns. Most of them function okay now, but the 18 rounders are training only at this point.

Site Supporter
    We sent four of the guns back to the factory. They replaced them with new mag catches. Said we had worn out the part with aftermarket magazines. MecGars.....in brand new guns. Most of them function okay now, but the 18 rounders are training only at this point.
    That’s the kind of answer that makes me not even have trust in a “proven” platform from Sig.

The 226 is by far and away my favorite DA/SA. Still kick my self for owning and selling 2 of them. The first was German built & Exeter assembled, the second was a railed version I let go about a decade ago. Wouldn't want to edc either one, but I feel stoopid for not still having at least one of those gems in my safe.

Generally speaking, I am a fan of the Sig P series guns, although i prefer the older versions with short extractors. Your mag experience and the Sig response are disturbing, especially since MecGar is the OEM mag on those guns. Were these the (more or less) flush fit 18 round mags or the ones with the long basepads? If the latter, I wonder if it is the longer length of the mags and resulting extra force when seating them that caused the issue?

I carry the mecgar 15 round flush fit mags in a P229 and have had no problems (yet). I have some 18 round mags for training and now wonder if I should just change the baseplates and make them 15s..... (I don't really care much about the extra few rounds)

Quote Originally Posted by jd950 View Post
    Generally speaking, I am a fan of the Sig P series guns, although i prefer the older versions with short extractors. Your mag experience and the Sig response are disturbing, especially since MecGar is the OEM mag on those guns. Were these the (more or less) flush fit 18 round mags or the ones with the long basepads? If the latter, I wonder if it is the longer length of the mags and resulting extra force when seating them that caused the issue?

I carry the mecgar 15 round flush fit mags in a P229 and have had no problems (yet). I have some 18 round mags for training and now wonder if I should just change the baseplates and make them 15s..... (I don't really care much about the extra few rounds)
    The magazines were the 'flush fit' 18 round Mecgars. I believe the problem only exists with the new style magazine catch. There's apparently just enough difference in the geometry of the part that not all of th work reliably in all of the guns. Some just would drop out mid shot string.

The design follows the 320 mag catch design (easier and cheaper to produce) and for what it's worth, they work flawlessly with factory mags. Even 15 round Mecgars. It isn't the same part as the 320 one though. The 320 button/catch are triangular, and the 226 one is the classic oval. I believe it's also the same one used in the 320 AXG frame by the way. Likely easier to machine the frame with an oval.....I guess. I have a 320 AXG Pro LE, and I haven't encountered any issues with the factory mags.

I guess I am safe, then. Thanks.

User Tag List