Thread: .357 sig and 10mm rumor

.357 sig and 10mm rumor

Hi, new to this forum. It seems like a great place for me since I am somewhat of pistol junkie. I also always used DocGKR's posts on Tactical forums as my source for expert data. That site is somewhat dead which left me looking for more up to date postings. I got lucky and came across this site. On with the question.

Years ago, I thought I remembered reading an article that stated .357 sig was a cut down 10mm cartridge. The article specified that cut down 10mm cartridges were used because they had carbon fiber woven into the cases due to the rounds high pressures. Problem now is, I can't find anything that validates what I know I read in that article. I'm sure it was an article out of a gun rag which is likely where I went wrong. I used to read those before I knew better.

Hope someone here can give me a definitive answer yes or no.

Respectfully, even the most basic wiki search will show that the reinforcing fibers in the case are made of unobtanium, not carbon fiber. Same in the barrel. This is needed because of the 250,000 PSI pressure of the round.

Real answer: No.
    Last edited by TiroFijo; 12-03-2015 at 07:37 AM.

Brass is, well, brass. While someone may have cut down 10mm for the first prototype of .357 SIG, this is how brass is drawn by factories.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...brass-is-made/
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

The progression of 10mm -> .40 S&W -> .357 Sig is bizarre in how much disinformation each chapter spawns.

To abbreviate greatly, .40 S&W has some nearly in-common geometry with 10mm, but most noticeably is shortened to better resemble 9mm.

.357 Sig's first iterations involved .40 S&W cases swaged down to fit 9mm bullets; with caliber-specific cartridge casings and bullets (~2 gr difference, IIRC) eventually being created.

I've never heard of a carbon fiber additive, and imagine that would be remarkably expensive and irritating to implement. I can't imagine what effects that would have on case obduration during firing, and then the follow-on effects to cartridge extraction.
    Last edited by runcible; 12-03-2015 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Carbon fiber

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Hi, new to this forum. It seems like a great place for me since I am somewhat of pistol junkie. I also always used DocGKR's posts on Tactical forums as my source for expert data. That site is somewhat dead which left me looking for more up to date postings. I got lucky and came across this site. On with the question.

Years ago, I thought I remembered reading an article that stated .357 sig was a cut down 10mm cartridge. The article specified that cut down 10mm cartridges were used because they had carbon fiber woven into the cases due to the rounds high pressures. Problem now is, I can't find anything that validates what I know I read in that article. I'm sure it was an article out of a gun rag which is likely where I went wrong. I used to read those before I knew better.

Hope someone here can give me a definitive answer yes or no.
    First of all, welcome.

Have a seat, start reading, and let the learning commence. There's a LOT of very good stuff here.

As for a definitive answer to your specific question, no.

Again, welcome.

Okie John

Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    I can't imagine what effects that would have on case obduration during firing, and then the follow-on effects to cartridge extraction.
    I'm not a materials scientist, nor do I play one on TV, but I remember a little bit of the class I had to take in college, and I have to agree with you, due to the huge difference in plasticity/elasticity between the two materials. It would also likely make the cases difficult, if not outright impossible to reload, if they could even have been loaded in the first place. I think CF would make cases very hard to size, bell, or crimp successfully; they'd be prone to either springing back to their previous configuration or fracturing.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    First of all, welcome.

Have a seat, start reading, and let the learning commence. There's a LOT of very good stuff here.

As for a definitive answer to your specific question, no.

Again, welcome.

Okie John
    Thank you, I plan on it. You won't see me posting questions like this too often. It all came up because of a discussion where I was looking for data. My search through ammo brought me here. I'm glad it did and plan on sitting back and learning here. Thank you again for the welcome.
    Last edited by Justin; 12-03-2015 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    Respectfully, even the most basic wiki search will show that the reinforcing fibers in the case are made of unobtanium, not carbon fiber. Same in the barrel. This is needed because of the 250,000 PSI pressure of the round.

Real answer: No.
    Thank you, what I figured.

User Tag List