Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Snubbie Questions?

I use speedstrips. I carry two of them in my cellphone case rather than in my pocket. Works well for me.
    US Navy Veteran
    1961-1965

Quote Originally Posted by Water-Man View Post
    I use speedstrips. I carry two of them in my cellphone case rather than in my pocket. Works well for me.
    That's a neat idea. But, I can't help but be reminded of Walt Rauch's "definition of an optimist" quip.

When I carry a revolver (and I only have 4" ones; a Ruger GP100 and a Ruger Security Six), I inevitably carry a Binachi Speed Strip (or 2) as my reload carrier of choice, mostly due to their slimness and ease of carry. One Speed Strip, loaded with 6 rounds, is carried in a Bianchi 2X2X2 grippered pouch, which is carried on my belt upsidedown on my strong side-through experience, I've found it far easier to release the gripper, and yank the Speed Strip down (rather than pulling it up if conventionally carried); there's enough inherent friction between the cartridges and the leather pouch loops to sufficiently retain the Speed Strip without worrying about it being inadvertantly dropped when the pouch is initially ungrippered. Dress permitting, I'll have an HKS speedloader in a jacket pocket as well, and/or an additional Speed Strip.

In IDPA matches when using a revolver, I'll do my "administrative" initial load-up before each stage scenario with the Speed Strip, to maintain some familiarization (minimizing further reducing my already bog-slow revolver reload times); reloads during the stages themselves are done with Safariland and/or HKS speedloaders. In my experience, the HKS units are a bit more durable over time, while the Safariland Comp II and Comp IIIs are slightly easier to use under stress, with fewer motions needed.

I've chosen to shy away from snubbies, feeling that they're too much of a compromise for me-and by compromise, I'm talking about problematic accuracy under stress at anything more than contact distance more so than their inherent ammunition capacity limitations. My thoughts are that a Glock 26 or similar offers far better ergonomics, accuracy potental, ease of use, ammunition capacity, while concurrently possessing inherent reliability and minimal maintenance/lubrication needs. In my case, the smallest Glock I personally possess is a G19, which I've found eminently carryable in a Galco ankle holster if necessary, since I have 2 G19s, if necessary one could be belt-carried (normally in a IWB holster), the other in the ankle holster. However, with a Glock, I've found that most perceived requirements are well met with one gun and a spare magazine.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Ga Shooter View Post
    I was selling an old revolver to pay for a new snubbie carry gun. A guy put a down payment on mine. I have decided to purchase a S&W 642. Here are my questions:

1. Should I get it with the moon clip cuts already made? If I do does that make reloading with strips harder?

2. What have you found to be the best (concealable and fast) reload technique strips/speedloaders/moonclips?

Thanks for the help.

PS Weapon will be used primarily as a BUG but will be primary for when deep concealment is required.
    1. Get it cut for moonclips. It won't hurt anything and you might want that feature in the future.

2. FWIW, Claude Werner, snubby instructor extraordinaire, recommends you practice loading your snubby with loose rounds from your pocket because in your most desperate time of need, Murphy will make sure your speed-strip or speed-loaded will drop all of the rounds in your pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post
    2. FWIW, Claude Werner, snubby instructor extraordinaire, recommends you practice loading your snubby with loose rounds from your pocket because in your most desperate time of need, Murphy will make sure your speed-strip or speed-loaded will drop all of the rounds in your pocket.
    Every time I have had occasion to carry a revolver under potentially unfriendly circumstances, it has never been under conditions where a speed loader or speed strips were also ready at hand. (Of course, I have a strong bias towards semi autos, but life doesn't always cooperate when one is in unusual conditions in unusual parts of the world.) While those or moon clips are of course a good piece of equipment to have, I feel that training the old hard way is essential. I will say that the weak hand mid pocket on the common tactical vests makes for a good fast loose round reload carry position, but it is a bit more obvious out on the street than one would like unless you are in an area with a lot of photojournalists. As an alternative, a cardboard wedge taped to provide a rim out orientation of the brass in your weak hand trouser pocket is a good option, but takes a bit of practice to dislodge cleanly. And must be replaced often - sweat will kill the cardboard over very short time, especially in hot weather (plasticized cardboard such as tetrapak can delay this effect and extend "service life", but depending on the actual manufacturer's coating can cause binding between brass and cardboard. Experiment but given the essentially trivial cost and low degree of effort to replace, its worth it to replace often). But has the advantage of keeping hollowpoints from plugging with sand, lint, etc. in the pocket, and being something one can improvise just about anywhere in the world.

Duct tape or hundred mile an hour tape is not a good alternative, even though some smart fellow may claim that the flexibility makes a poor man's speed strip - brass and tape glue bind into the cylinder.

May you however always have the equipment you would need or want in any circumstance such a thing might be needed.

Interesting responses.

I have carried a J frame of one sort or another, every day, since 1978. Usually as a BUG, but sometimes as a primary. That includes qualifying with same once or twice a year, every one of those years

Speedloaders are bulky. The only folks I've ever known who carry them for a concealed carry reload are the few folks of my acquaintance who refuse to carry a semi-auto, insist on a revolver, and are willing to put up with the added space requirements for a faster reload.

Speed strips make the most sense for concealed carry. While I too have had (and seen) speedloaders turn their rounds loose at an inopportune time, I have yet to see a Bianchi Speed Strip do that... even when I'm fumbling to get a reload accomplished, much less in a pocket or carry pouch. I understand the reasoning behind "downloading" a Speed Strip... but I don't buy it. In all those years, I haven't had any recurring trouble getting five of the six rounds into the cylinder during practice or quals. Sure, I'll fumble around with it once in a while. I fumble a magazine every now and then, too. Everybody does.

It takes all kinds. I know folks who carry NO reload and NO spare gun. I know folks who carry a reload for the primary, and no spare gun. I know folks who carry two guns, with a reload for the primary only. And I know folks who do what I do; carry two guns and a reload for each.

There's no doubt that a circular speedloader is many times faster than any other method to reload a revolver; it is also going to cut down one's "concealibility" by a fair bit. But if you prefer them, and are willing to make the extra effort to hide them (or work around their bulk in a pocket), I would suggest trying find some old Safariland Comp Is (don't think they ever made Comp IIs for J frames). I have found these far better, overall, than the HKS.

And those are MY opinions...

[I]1. Should I get it with the moon clip cuts already made? If I do does that make reloading with strips harder? My understanding is that moon clip modifications don't change anything about the way(s) you can reload the revolver, except that with the mods, you can also use moon clips. If that is true in every case, then I say get them.
    2. What have you found to be the best (concealable and fast) reload technique strips/speedloaders/moonclips? I use speedloaders or strips. Neither are close to the speed of a moon clip. I carry the speedloaders on my belt in a 3inside/3outside the belt holder, so it's not a 'deep cover' thing like you need. Good luck....jkm

When i carried for duty, I had one loader and 2 strips. I used the safariland comp loaders which pressed onto the cylinder because they were faster and more reliable than the HKS, which occasionally stuck and held onto one cartridge. If you're carrying only for self defense, then carry speedloaders in the cold months, speed strips in the hot months. The idea about loading strips with only four rounds is worth considering.

Site Supporter

Speedloader pouches & speed strip carriers

I frequently carry a 3 inch S&W 60 .38 revolver as an off duty gun.

Usually my reloads are in Bianchi Speed Strips or Tuff Products QuickStrips.

I sometimes carry a speedloader for a reload.

It can be hard sometimes to find speedloader carriers or speed strip carriers because different manufacturers use different nomenclature to describe their products.

But, I was recently researching the topic for a friend and this is what I found:

Speedloader pouches

Safariland 371 Split 6 for 1-3/4 inch belt (single carrier)

Safariland 371 J split 6 for 1-3/4 inch belt (single carrier) j frame revolver

Safariland 370 Split 6 for 2-1/4 inch duty belt (double carrier)

Tex Shoemaker 104 open top double speedloader carrier (concealment use)

Don Hume Pack 6 concealment speedloader holder

DeSantis GunHide Second Six speedloader holder

Andrews Leather slimloader pouch

Speed Strip/QuickStrip pouches

Simply Rugged Leather
    Most Versatile Ammo Pouch

Tex Shoemaker
    94F1 Shell pouch

International Handgun Leather (sold by Dillon)
    Speed Strip / Quick Strip Wallet

Tuff Products
    QuickStrips Tactical Holster Pouch
    In leather or nylon

I don't have much experience with a good way to carry full moon clips in concealment . . .

Here is some reading material on the subject of snubby revolvers: http://www.snubnose.info/

User Tag List