Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22 LR for trainin'

.22 LR for trainin'

I’ve been thinking about getting a .22 LR AR15 that I can set up like my swat rifle so I can train more often. I can’t take my dept issued rifle home, and our policy states that I can only shoot it on company time under company supervision. I don’t feel like that’s enough.

The reasoning behind a rifle in .22 is that I can shoot it at my local pistol range and the ammunition cost is MUCH lower than 5.56. Stated factors mean I could potentially train weekly instead of monthly at lower cost.

I intend on using it to practice weapon manipulation/transition drills in addition to some general slow fire marksmanship stuff. I realize that a .22 trainer can’t replace quality time with the real deal.

My research has led me to the Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22 due to the fact that it’s the only dedicated .22 rifle on the market with a functioning bolt catch.

Anyone else do this? Should I just save my money and shoot 5.56 like an adult?

Thanks.
    If you're not going to learn to use the front sight properly, don't bother with it. If pointing the gun, screaming "Ahhhhh!" and cranking on the trigger is all you can learn to do, work on doing that safely. -ToddG

Site Supporter
    For what you specified - This >>>>>>
    Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22

Do you have a personally owned AR-15? If so, you could build a dedicated .22 upper to match the department rifle but the downside is the initial cost since it will be more than the M&P 15-22.

I cannot think of a reason why the M&P shouldn't be used for your circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by johnson View Post
    Do you have a personally owned AR-15? If so, you could build a dedicated .22 upper to match the department rifle but the downside is the initial cost since it will be more than the M&P 15-22.
    The gun collector in me wants to add another gun to the stable. Secondly, I hear the M&P has a great track record; possibly better than conversions.
    If you're not going to learn to use the front sight properly, don't bother with it. If pointing the gun, screaming "Ahhhhh!" and cranking on the trigger is all you can learn to do, work on doing that safely. -ToddG

Quote Originally Posted by 60167 View Post
    The gun collector in me wants to add another gun to the stable. Secondly, I hear the M&P has a great track record; possibly better than conversions.
    It does have a great track record but weighs next to nothing compared to a real AR if that matters (at least a full pound less).

Here's some .22LR for sale so you can stock up since I haven't had any luck finding it on the shelves in KC (northland) for a longggg time. The CCI should give you close to zero duds while Fed AutoMatch is good, although not as good as they used to be before the panic, IME.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/feder...25rd-am22.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/cci-2...box-50035.html
    Last edited by johnson; 12-02-2015 at 10:22 PM.

Site Supporter
    I have a CMMG upper which I purchased shortly before the release of the M&P 15-22. It's nice but it costs more than a M&P 15-22.

Site Supporter
    I have a CMMG upper which I purchased shortly before the release of the M&P 15-22. It's nice but it costs more than a M&P 15-22.

M&P15-22 with Bushnell TRS-25 red dot. Yes, Yes, and Yes. Great understudy for an M4. Also works great with a can and subsonic ammo.

"I intend on using it to practice weapon manipulation/transition drills in addition to some general slow fire marksmanship stuff. I realize that a .22 trainer can’t replace quality time with the real deal."

And there in lies the problem. I don't subscribe to training with one caliber to simulate another. Recoil, follow up shots, weight of the rifle, etc.,etc. The AR15 market is saturated with overstock right now and great deals can be had. Wolf gold .223 can be bought for $278-299 a case. You can find a Colt 6920 for $900 or less if you shop around.

User Tag List