Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Age and/or arthritis gun

http://www.totalprotectioninteractiv...orum/index.php

You have to join to read and post. Good people.

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    Also it sounds like this gun is going to stay loaded for long periods of time. I can't speak for the aftermarket but factory ruger "revolving" type magazines (factory 10 rounder) will not hold ammo for long before giving up the ghost. Ruined mine in a month or two.
    Interesting. The couple of 10-22's I've had in the past, I left all the mags loaded all the time and never had any trouble.

The 10-22's seem workable, but the standard Ruger 22 auto pistol may work if used with a slide racker type gadget. The old standard grip may be easier to hold on to than the ones that mimic a 1911.

Name:  MA_MKIII_Charger_1.5871443_large.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  49.6 KB
    Last edited by Malamute; 12-02-2015 at 10:12 PM.

Although I've not shot one, I've heard good things about the M&P 15-22. It's a bit heavier than a ruger at 5 1/2 lbs or so, but short length of pull adjustment may help offset this. 25 round factory mags. Built in mounting options. A compact light/laser combo could work well your situation. Not sure about how hard it is to run the charging handle.

I've been considering one for my daughter.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I'll admit that I'm reading between the lines and assuming a bit, but it doesn't sound like the OP's sister is going to shoot it much.
    I'm sure, I'm just thinking of my own father with serious arthritis issues. Anything he can work with his palm is much easier than anything he has to hook a finger around. We ended up doing a break open shotgun for him. A bolt action was next up. It's just so much easier to work the bolt, he doesn't have to worry about someone else loading magazines, etc. Everything is a trade off, of course, and each person's limitations must be considered. A double barrel 20g is pretty light and if it isn't going to be shot much is another alternative to a rimfire.

I think I would take a M&P15-22 over a 10/22. I think the magazines are easier to load, it's very easy to cycle, has adjustable LOP, is easier to break down, has better sights out of the box, more intuitive controls, and is easier to mount a red dot to than a standard 10/22. Plus multiple aftermarket grip options.

Biggest downsides are it costs more than a 10/22 and the stock trigger is worse.

Edit: Also maybe something like the Taurus Circuit Judge? Lightweight, well balanced, compact, good sights out of the box, easier to learn manual of arms, more potent than .22 rimfire.. Yeah, Taurus and all, but it might be worth looking into.
    Last edited by ReverendMeat; 12-02-2015 at 10:20 PM.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

I've had 10/22s since 1984 and haven't experienced magazine trouble. I do have a BX25 mag that's been loaded well over a year; I'll give it a try soon. My daughter and I each have a compact 10/22 and those are short, light, and handy

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Do the Ruger BX-25s have the same problem? I've never left any loaded for an appreciable amount of time. Perhaps I should load up a dozen or so and see how they fare over the next couple of years.
    Off to do that right now. I read a LOT about 10-22s a while back, while researching a new purchase, and I don't recall seeing any mention of this.

I eventually settled on a 10-22 Compact, and a Magnum Research 17-22 with a custom made-for-me stock. I have numerous Ruger OEM 10 and 25 round mags. Going to load one of each to capacity, write the date down on a piece of tape, and put them up.

We can compare notes sometime next year…

If you are considering a 10/22 and have issues with moving the bolt, you might want to keep your eyes on the ZK-22 replacement stock for the 10/22 by Aklys Defense. Turns the rifle into a bullpup and moves the charging handle.

Name:  2698710_02_ruger_zk_22_red_jacket_firearm_640.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  41.1 KB

PreOrder from Aklys here:
    https://www.aklysdefense.com/itemdet...05410d0d816095

When this first came out there was an enthusiastic post on some gun forum from an individual who has severe issues with using his hands this was the first gun he could operate due to the charging handle being on top of the gun and the light recoil of the 22lr.

On the down sides, the company is having issues shipping and did have issues shipping when they were in their previous incarnation as "Red Jacket Firearms" (now separated from the previous owner and his sex scandal). Most reviews have been positive though some people do have reliability issues with the conversion. The claim is that these reliability issues are fixable with careful assembly, a bit of adjustment and shaving of parts which are binding. The company seems to be shipping older orders again now.

forum discussion of this stock:
    http://bullpupforum.com/index.php?board=42.0

Tamara recently posted some results of testing the Sig P250 in .380, and suggested that it would be a good choice for arthritic hands. (New Project)
    For a long gun, might a single or double barreled, break action 20 gauge be suitable?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    For a long gun, might a single or double barreled, break action 20 gauge be suitable?
    A lightweight 20 can have felt recoil that's worse than a heavier 12. I got a youth 20-gauge pump for my petite wife. It's ok with target loads, but buckshot loads are not fun.

Some singles and doubles also have stock designs that are not great for minimizing felt recoil.

Aftermarket recoil pads can help.

I'd be tempted to look at a gas-operated semi for the reduced recoil instead of a break or pump.

User Tag List