Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Age and/or arthritis gun

Age and/or arthritis gun

I just had a visit from my dear sister. Fun was had. Being the family gun guy we ran through my collection of pistols to see if any were appropriate for her use in her country home. Not a chance. Due to a combination of age and arthritis she can neither safely or effectively use any sort of real pistol. I include a .22 S&W M&P 22. Just jacking the slide and getting her hands around the grip were a no-go on that.

I said "let me research tasers". So, I need to do that. They seem a viable choice for outside the home use. However, tasing some dude and her leaping from a window in retreat, while acceptable tactics, doesn't seem to be in the cards.

So, now for the home as castle. Any recommendations on a .22/.22 mag rifle that is reliable, light, compact, and needs minimal strength to chamber a round for a "house gun"? (I don't think even .30 carbine is a viable choice here.) I certainly haven't shot everything out there, hints? (Just read the PS-90 posting and the "Old Man's Gun" concept was mentioned, I thought I would throw this out here.)
    Last edited by 314159; 12-02-2015 at 07:17 PM.

Ruger 10/22?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Bolt action? Easy to work with minimal dexterity, grip strength is a non issue.

Ruger American .22 mag, maybe? Light, cheap, decent trigger, easy to operate under stress. Sights are marginal, but tech sights solves that easy.

Quite a lot about the Old Man Gun on TPI. HeadHunter was using a tip up barrel Beretta model 21 in .22LR to get around cycling the slide.

Another vote for the Ruger 10-22. I would suggest a magazine fed rifle rather than a .22 that has a tube magazine. Much easier to load and unload.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    My concern with the 10-22 is manipulation of the bolt/bolt hold open plus maintenance. Neither is easy for someone with finger issues, and a poorly maintained rim fire is often an unreliable rim fire.

Also it sounds like this gun is going to stay loaded for long periods of time. I can't speak for the aftermarket but factory ruger "revolving" type magazines (factory 10 rounder) will not hold ammo for long before giving up the ghost. Ruined mine in a month or two.

I'm thinking Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22. Liked my first one so much, I got a second one. Best to have her go to a gun store and try racking the bolt though...

Would it be possible for a family member to load and safe something and have it stored safely? Then the only thing needed for your sister to do is take off the safety and shoot?

Or what about a firearm with a very weak recoil spring. It could be fired only enough to test reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    Also it sounds like this gun is going to stay loaded for long periods of time. I can't speak for the aftermarket but factory ruger "revolving" type magazines (factory 10 rounder) will not hold ammo for long before giving up the ghost. Ruined mine in a month or two.
    I have four 10 factory 10 rounders that I leave loaded all the time. The 10-22 is my pest gun. I haven't had a problem. I just got one of the BX-25 mags. We'll see. I loaded it a couple of weeks ago and put it in the drawer with the 10 rounders.

I treat my 10-22 like a Glock. Clean it every year or 2.

Most folk's assumptions here are correct. Train with it twice a year probably, clean and lube by me, sits in closet until next time. I have considered a loaded single action weapon with only a safety to remove as the house gun. I just can't in good conscience go that way.

Stored with a ready magazine and chamber a round if a bump in the night occurs. The 10-22 is a bit stiff but maybe a large op handle would help enough. I could judiciously remove a few coils from the operating spring (just a few). Good idea.

I'm not crazy about .22LR but I've been told nobody makes a really reliable .22 Mag autoloader. I don't really know enough about them. Maybe something like a T-bolt...

BTW what does "TPI" stand for? I would like to read up.
    Last edited by 314159; 12-02-2015 at 09:14 PM.

User Tag List