Thread: Maneuvers at end of string of fire

Maneuvers at end of string of fire

I have a confidence level in terms of my ability to consistently and efficiently draw from holster and present to target. However, I find myself using different movements once the string of fire has ended---sometimes lowering the pistol at full extension, sometimes pulling back to high-ready, other times collapsing directly towards re-holster.

I'm curious about how others make movements at the end of any given string of fire.

What are the pros & cons of any particular movement? Should one train with only one or several? Why?

How you practice is how you will act unconsciously when the time comes.

As such, it is best to practice what you want to do in the worst case scenario.

Keeping your pistol on the target is one way or collapsing it into a high ready / high port position in order to assess your work may be important, you may also need to move.

Breathing is important and looking around is important. Figuring out what protocol you need follow every time you do this is up to you and should be based on your personal requirements.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

For me, it really depends on what I am practicing.

In dry fire, I finish the shot or whatever I was doing and then get right back to the holster to maximize reps.

In live fire technical drills, I try to avoid reflexively dismounting the gun at the end of the string. I want at least a little mental followthrough on the sights and a hard break before I put the gun away.

In live fire tactical drills or scenario training, I want to do the entire post shooting procedure to the extent possible in that particular physical setting: assess downed threat, scan 360, potentially move to cover or concealment or a better position, reload the gun, verbalize, simulate calling 911, sometimes try to direct a bystander.

To answer your question most directly - where to move the gun upon completion of a string - putting finger in register then following the target down (had it dropped) with the gun in low/contact ready, is what I want to do. Also fine is bringing the gun to another vision-unobstructed position (high/compressed ready, etc.)
    Last edited by Mr_White; 12-01-2015 at 06:20 PM.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

You need to be able to adjust post shooting movements because the environment may force you to. I traditionally like the low ready but will collapse that and/or move to a high ready. Selection is driven by closeness of the threat, and other people/factors. Key points are finger off the trigger and in register when coming off target. I decock at this point if using a TDA.

For me personally, I don't like to go immediately back to the holster without a hard break in my thought process. I'm not saying do a 360 scan working draws in your living room. But, I don't like driving immediately back to the holster for the next rep. Building these habits helps them happen under stress.

Good feedback.

I believe every movement one makes with a firearm in hand should as purposeful, intentional and deliberate as possible. In my mind, perfecting motion during the draw/presentation is driven by the need for speed & efficiency. But what drives the post-firing movements has been much less clear to me.

When I'm dry-practicing, I strive to remain 'on target' for a one-second count to instill adequate follow-through, then finger out of trigger guard and in register on frame. My next action varies: in live-fire, I typically lower slowly but deliberately at full extension, then decock, then pull back slowly to re-holster. While dry-practicing, I typically pull back swiftly to high-compressed ready, muzzle angled upward, then decock, then re-holster.

Why do I vary between live-fire and dry-fire? As I reflect on the two environments, perhaps I perceive my dry-fire targets to be much closer than they are during live-fire, suggesting a closer threat; thus, the high-compressed ready movement vs drawing down at full extension. Interesting.

User Tag List