Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decent Budget Red Dot

Decent Budget Red Dot

I'm looking at the Bushnell TR-25 and the Primary Arms Micro. This is for my son's 300 Blackout Handi-Rifle. I put a Leupold 2-7x28 rimfire scope on there, but the way it's mounted, the eye relief is too long for him and if I want to move it back then I'll have to get much higher rings to clear the hammer, thus ruining his cheekweld. Hence, my thinking of the red dot; especially since we're only using subsonic ammo.

Anyone have experience with red dots other than Aimpoints? I have a T-1 on one of my AR's and agree that it's a great optic, but I just don't have $500+ to put into an optic for this rifle. Heck, the rifle cost 1/2 of that. Thanks for thoughts and recommendations.

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I've heard so much good about the primary arms and not much about the bushy. If I was going to buy one it would be the PA 50k battery life red dot. They have a pretty cool torture test if you google it.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Our range staff tested and approved the Bushnell for patrol rifles. I don't think they've tested the Primary Arms.

http://www.vdmsr.com/2015/08/vortex-...-sparc-ii.html

Edit; i have an old pa rdsx before the new holosun lookin jobbers, and it sucks.
    Last edited by voodoo_man; 12-01-2015 at 03:41 PM.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

No first hand experience at the the PA, but they do have a decent rep both for product and standing behind their products should an issue arise. Another unit to consider is that Vortex Sparc II. I have a Sparc I on my sons 22 AR that has held up we'll over the years. The new model uses 2032 battery , but doesn't have the claimed life of 50k hours, just 5k.

Site Supporter
    I have two of the Bushnell TR-25's and I would not hesitate to buy another- I don't know if I would put one on a duty rifle but they are good go for hunting / sporting use and if you have an issue Bushnell CS is very good.

Site Supporter
    I have had excellent results with Primary Arms products. However, back in the dark ages when I shot USPSA Open - the Tasco ProPoint PDP3 was a popular dot that seemed to survive. Recently I found one of my old TASCO PROPOINT PDP3s and put it on an AR build with high 30mm rings - worked like a champ. You can find clean, sometimes new old stock TASCO PROPOINT PDP3s, on eBay really cheap. Might be just the ticket for a few hunting seasons!

I don't have hands on experience but I have not heard a lot of negatives for the Primary Arms Advanced Micro Dot

I've had a TRS-25 for almost 6 years now. I bought it when I went through an AK phase, and put it on an ultimak rail on the end of my Arsenal SGL21 and ran that thing hard. If you're not familiar with the Ultimak rail, it replaces the gas tube on an AK, with a rail incorporated into the top. More than once, due to conduction, that little TRS-25 was so hot that I couldn't turn it off. It's been on AK's, AR's, a 10/22, Henry H001, 22/45, and a 308 Browning A-bolt, but I'll be damned if that thing doesn't still run and hold zero like a champ.

Through word of mouth, I've sold dozens of them, and I've never heard a complaint from those that bought them. So, for the price, I give the Bushy TRS-25 two thumbs up. That being said, the current PA micro was not available at the time of purchase. I'm not sure how much the PA cost, but given the 50,000 hour battery life, I'd be real tempted to go that route.

I thought I read LL say something about Uncle Pat wringing out the PA micro's and raving about it. His word would be enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I have two of the Bushnell TR-25's and I would not hesitate to buy another- I don't know if I would put one on a duty rifle but they are good go for hunting / sporting use and if you have an issue Bushnell CS is very good.
    I also have two, one on an M&P15-22 and one on an M4. They work great for me. I don't think I would go to war with one. Since they cost under $100, I can keep extra batteries on hand.

User Tag List