Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The Flinch, Pre-Ignition Push, "Unwanted Gun Movement"

My shooting experience has primarily been with Glocks. When I first started shooting I had a horrible flinch. Now I have just a pretty bad flinch. I recently did the Frank Garcia dot drill and it was obvious I am still flinching. Like others, the flinch is largely negated during slow fire. It is frustrating. I need to buckle down and do a ton of high rep trigger control at speed dry fire.
    Last edited by cheshire_cat; 08-12-2016 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cheshire_cat View Post
    I need to buckle down and do a ton of high rep trigger control at speed dry fire.
    I think that's a good prescription for just about everyone. Definitely for me anyway! Probably always will be.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

For me it's mostly speed related. If I'm taking all the time that I want to for each shot, then I don't flinch, or at least not enough to open up the groups more than an inch or so at 25yds. The flinch starts to creep in as I am rushed to complete each shot, and I end up slamming the trigger back and knocking the sights all over the place trying to chase some split time. There's probably some mis-timed post-ignition push that becomes pre-ignition because I got no rhythm too, who knows.

I do think there is a pain relation as well though. Guns with sharp edges cause me pain when I press the trigger on them, so I quickly develop a flinch. I had Dan Wesson ECO .45 a while back that would make me bleed after 20 rounds. I couldn't even slow-fire that thing without a nasty, nasty flinch.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    I've found this to work better than ball and dummy.

I got a friend to get 5 for 5 into the black of a B8 at 25 doing this. He hadn't shot 25 before.

Why would their be any flinch or pre ignition anything? The gun is not loaded - it's not going to do anything. This is a slow fire trigger control drill on a known unloaded pistol. Do people flinch when they are doing the "White Wall Drill?"
    Last edited by nwhpfan; 08-14-2016 at 01:36 AM.
    A71593

Quote Originally Posted by nwhpfan View Post
    Why would their be any flinch or pre ignition anything? The gun is not loaded - it's not going to do anything.
    And yet people flinch anyway. They've been pulling shots low left during live fire, and then you put an empty gun in their hand they'll often flinch during dry fire; they've conditioned themselves to flinch. So you have them get the flinch out of their system by dry firing.

Quote Originally Posted by nwhpfan View Post
    Do people flinch when they are doing the "White Wall Drill?"
    No, because they haven't gotten the flinch in their system from live fire. But you know all this.

Here are a couple things i have done to reduce my flinch. First, i make sure i double up with muffs and foam ear plugs. Second i use dry fire practice to work on my trigger press, grip, sights etc. Then when i live fire (typically weekly IDPA) i trust in my dry fire practice, focus big time on my front sight, and just go out and shoot. This allows me to shoot with a clear mind without worrying about my trigger press, flinching, or trying too hard to do well "pressing". So for me instead of focusing on getting rid of a flinch i found working on the bigger picture to be better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    And yet people flinch anyway. They've been pulling shots low left during live fire, and then you put an empty gun in their hand they'll often flinch during dry fire; they've conditioned themselves to flinch. So you have them get the flinch out of their system by dry firing.

No, because they haven't gotten the flinch in their system from live fire. But you know all this.
    I think that is a way to show people that they are flinching if they don't believe they are doing it. I'm not sure it's the way to show them how to stop doing it.

Generally, "flinching" is a discipline and mental problem. Sometimes the shooter is actually scared of the recoil, noise, muzzle flash. And/or sometimes they just have an overreaction to it.

The best way is to just "stop it." Concentrating on what you are doing correct and thinking forward vs. the negative result is another way. Again, it is a mental issue.
    Last edited by nwhpfan; 08-14-2016 at 12:11 PM.
    A71593

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I see my instructional style has rubbed off on you.
    3/15/2016

Hammertime
    Bump because this is a great and useful thread. Thanks to all.

User Tag List