Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal Fusion 62gr F223FS1 on deer

Federal Fusion 62gr F223FS1 on deer

This year was my first time using an AR for deer and I opted for locally bought Fusion 62gr after reading some other positive reports. I didn't shoot too many rounds for my 100 yard zero but accuracy was OK at 1.5". It could possibly be better under better/calmer circumstances.

The buck was 85 yards away and the I fired two shots. The first hit the shoulder/spine and I thought he was down but when he got back up a couple seconds later I put another into the neck. I didn't recover the neck shot but neither bullets exited.

Next time around I'd like to use my 12.5" SBR with Barnes 70gr TSX or switch up to a 300 BLK or 6.8 SPC for more compactness and less weight.

Palmetto State Armory currently has the MSR version on sale for $10 a box.
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/catal...view/id/13744/

Last edited by johnson; 11-29-2015 at 10:55 PM.

Best hunting thread ever.

The retained weight on the bullet is pretty impressive.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Did the shot to the neck hit large/heavy bone? I'm not the most savvy on deer anatomy, but I'm surprised it stopped in the neck? Unless you shot it while it was bent down and it travelled the length thereof? The matted pelt though looks like you hit it about 6-8" below the skull, transverse across the neck from L/R or R/L, and below the spinal column.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Did the shot to the neck hit large/heavy bone? I'm not the most savvy on deer anatomy, but I'm surprised it stopped in the neck? Unless you shot it while it was bent down and it travelled the length thereof? The matted pelt though looks like you hit it about 6-8" below the skull, transverse across the neck from L/R or R/L, and below the spinal column.
    I shot a medium sized buck in the neck with the Win 64 gr PP at a similiar distance and he dropped like a rock. But I recovered the mangled jacket minus the lead core at the exit wound about an inch and a half from the exit wound. As in it was bouncing back out? Crazy
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I shot a medium sized buck in the neck with the Win 64 gr PP at a similiar distance and he dropped like a rock. But I recovered the mangled jacket minus the lead core at the exit wound about an inch and a half from the exit wound. As in it was bouncing back out? Crazy
    Interesting. I am no deer maven. Would you say that punching in/out of the ribcage, punching the heart and lungs, is more, or less "demanding" than a neck shot, regarding what a bullet could be expected to penetrate? I guess I'm asking, since my RA556B performed as it did in my thread, would you expect it to not be recovered had it been the bullet used in this thread? Or would it, too, likely have stayed in said deer?

Interesting. I am no deer maven. Would you say that punching in/out of the ribcage, punching the heart and lungs, is more, or less "demanding" than a neck shot, regarding what a bullet could be expected to penetrate? I guess I'm asking, since my RA556B performed as it did in my thread, would you expect it to not be recovered had it been the bullet used in this thread? Or would it, too, likely have stayed in said deer?
    My impression is a double lung is less demanding but with so few to judge from I don't really know. I've killed a half dozen or so deer with .223 loads and the only exit was on a neck shot of a doe by a 77 grain OTM Black Hills load that created a massive exit. In this case I don't think it hit the spinal column. But the shoulder and lung shot deer were all down in short order but I never had another slug exit. Really ruined heart and lungs though.

68 grain OTM, 77 grain OTM, 55 grain Barnes, 60 grain Nosler Partition, 55 grain Bonded Bear Claw whatever, none of these exited either on deer shot in the chest (frontal) or shoulder or double lunged. (all from a 16" barrel at under 100 yards)

I've zeroed with this Fusion load this year and may get to test it out also.
    Last edited by JHC; 12-01-2015 at 06:15 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Shoot another and see! RA556B seems like a good candidate for breaking it and exiting.

It it bone and went alongside the spine. I was digging through meat and gave up on where it ended up. And don't mind the pelt, I had to pull it uphill with an ATV (even the ATV almost got stuck) in wet leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by johnson View Post
    It it bone and went alongside the spine. I was digging through meat and gave up on where it ended up. And don't mind the pelt, I had to pull it uphill with an ATV (even the ATV almost got stuck) in wet leaves.
    Ah, understood! TY for data!

Seems you can't edit a post after a certain period. He was also quartering towards me so it wasn't a broadside shot.

User Tag List