Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Molded ear plugs with hole in them?

I had custom foam ear plugs made for me by an audiologist.
    Then Jiu-jitsu customized my ears to where the plugs no longer fit.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I tried the Surefires on the qual range once. They are terrible. I've found more sets of those in the ground and various ranges than I can count.

Foam plugs are cheap and effective. The softer purple ones are are my favorite. The hard foam yellow ones aren't as comfortable but get the job done. If I'm at an indoor range or around stuff that is really loud I run muffs over the top.

I have some hearing damage already mostly thanks to turret mounted M2's. I'm not taking any chances.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

The Surefires work great if you get the higher rated ones, EP3's are what I wear to concerts. EP4-5 works better for shooting. EP3's under my Sordins indoors.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I like the EP-4 for Trap and plinking with 5.56 and pistol outdoors but I need muffs with them for pistol indoors and shooting big bore.

I recently picked up a set of the epoxy style moldable ear plugs for my wife. They're rated at 26db reduction. We haven't molded them yet.

I found these, Decibulz on amazon and may give them a try. They're rated at 31db reduction.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

Just in the FWIW category, I have multiple custom molded solid plugs that give 35db protection. I have all the Surefire ones, as well as custom molded electronic plugs, plus a few more that are job specific. None of them get worn alone when shooting. If you like your hearing and want to use it as you get older, wear muffs over them.

Well if that's the case I'll just continue to wear muffs

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    unless these are more specail than the factory ones, mine have them already.
    More padding. And he still makes a custom one with even more padding.
    "The rocket worked perfectly, except for landing on the wrong planet." - Wernher Von Braun

http://www.teampegleg.com

I just got the custom moldable ear plugs from Decibullz. They molded easily and seem to be a perfect fit. I'll try them next week at the trap range and report.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich@CCC View Post
    I just got the custom moldable ear plugs from Decibullz. They molded easily and seem to be a perfect fit. I'll try them next week at the trap range and report.
    I am interested. Please let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
    There are custom molded ear plugs called DB Blocker with a tuned vent that "contain a proprietary frequency-tuned filter that enhances interpersonal communication. In fact, people can communicate in noise better while wearing their dB Blockers™ than if they were to remove them." per http://www.protectear.com/product/db...r-grip-vented/ and http://www.protectear.com/products/db-blocker/

I have a pair of these vented plugs with a NRR (noise reduction ratio) of 25 to 43 DB depending on the frequency. Also have a pair of the non-vented, but the vented pair work better hearing others while still having plenty of noise reduction. I've worked in noisy environments for 30+ years and for me it's about the best compromise between noise reduction, communication, and comfort. The downside is that they are custom molded, which isn't as convenient as buying muffs or foam plugs.
    Do you know what a set normally runs? It looked like something a bit under $200 but the website didn't post a specific price.

User Tag List