Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Actual Purpose of PS-90/MP7?

Claude Werner has a good series of articles on this IIRC.

Not meaning to speak for Claude, but again IIRC the "Old Man Gun" concept comes from his experience with his dad as he aged.

The term is a misnomer, the need for an OMG is based on capability not age. I expect to need/want one earlier than you appear to because of arthritis in my shooting hand/wrist from a bad break.

Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    I'd be surprised if Caltech does, but Kel Tec has one .

If it is reliable - could be a good Old Man Gun.

http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/cmr-30/rifle/
    It's not.

This is my shocked face.

:O

Their current purpose is to look cool and make people giggle.

Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Their current purpose is to look cool and make people giggle.

Yes please.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Kel-Tecs are shit.

My wife's Young Woman Who Doesn't Have Much Time To Train Gun is a 16" Ruger 10-22 with 25 round magazines and a light. It runs great with CCI ammo. It isn't perfect and we'll likely move her into something else in the future, but it works.

Quote Originally Posted by The Apprentice View Post
    I have no factual basis for this but I always thought there purpose was in more of a protective detail type role. Such as secret service were we know agents are carrying but dont want to broadcast it with m4's. While uncomfortable I think a p90 is concealable under a suit coat.
    There are multitudes more 9mm SMGs that are more concealable than the P90.

The P90 and 5.7x28mm were not invented for protection details.
    Last edited by TGS; 11-30-2015 at 03:50 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    This is my shocked face.

:O
    I know, right? Quelle surprise

Site Supporter
    If my wrists fail (which could happen), I do have a neat Buckmark with a fiber optic and a synthetic stock 10/22 that I put a sling on, rail and optic. With the 25 round mags, I wouldn't sneeze at it for a weapon.

Crappy wrists are a reason to practice with both hands. When I broke my dominant wrist, I carried for my other and in fact took a couple of classes that I was scheduled for with the nondominant hand. I shoot decently with it.

A PS90 can serve as a “rule-book” gun, in a time/place that prohibits handgun carry, but allows loaded long guns. An example is Texas. Long guns require no license, and can be carried loaded, or not, and concealed, or not. Some say this is a niche. Well, Texas is a huge niche.

At just over the NFA-specified minimum 26-inch length, a 16”-barreled PS90 fits into containers/bags/packs notably smaller than needed to completely cover a 16”-barreled AR-type carbine, with buffer tube and collapsed telescoping stock. I have an Eagle Industries Discreet Case that just barely manages to contain my BCM AR, with stock collapsed. Our PS90 disappears deeply into this case. A case dedicated to the PS90 could be much shorter.

Nobody is going to truly conceal a PS90 under a sport coat, but there are fuller-cut outer garments that will casually conceal a PS90, especially in wintertime.

An SBR is an option, of course, but not everyone wants to jump through the hoops, and, as I understand it, there are additional requirements for traveling across state lines with NFA weapons. Some of us cross state lines often.

Age, wear, and tear, are factors that favor the PS90. My right hand, arm, and shoulder have chronic problems, that may be fixable, to a small degree, and my left arm and shoulder have acute issues, that will hopefully heal, but it will take some time, and PT. Our PS90 aggravates none of these problems, something that cannot be said about any of our other long guns, and quite a few of our handguns.

Temporarily, at least, our PS90 is my close friend. A niche weapon, yes, but I fall into that niche, at this time.

Edited to add: I am not, necessarily in love with the 5.7x28mm cartridge. I understand that shooting early, and often, may be required to neutralize a target.
    Last edited by Rex G; 02-08-2018 at 10:21 AM.

User Tag List