Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 45 Colt Lever gun - which one?

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Just to be clear, that was my questions as well not necessarily a suggestion. Just another option in the marketplace that wasn't on the original list.
    From Malamute's post, it sounds like they can be just fine. I have a chance to shoot one this week, and I'll see what i think.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Not sure yet ("He said sheepishly.") ..I'm looking at 300-360 grain bullets in the 1100fps range .
    That is a good starting point.
    I used to 'hot-rod' a Blackhawk, with 280 grains to 1300fps....Just Brutal, and no sense....
    In speaking with Smith just after purchasing that mountain gun, their suggestion was top all loads for the mountain gun no higher than 1000fps.
    My deep woods load is a Beartooth 300 grain, at 1000fps using H110.
    I've fired many, they feed well in the rifle too, but as you choose bullet designs for a rifle [if you went Winchester], be mindful that too flat of a melplat will sometimes give you loading issues on the feed ramp.
    I've also loaded Sierra 240SJHP's that perform flawlessly.
    For just fun plinkin', get some Berry's 250's, and blast away!

ETA:
    the Pistol is a .452, but the rifle is actually a .453. I run .452 bullets without any issue. I've seen some Marlins that had been as big as .454 in a .45colt rifle. Whether it was QC, or ???? not sure.
    I'f you really get into deep, slug your barrel. Beartooth offers those kits too. Sorry, I don't want to sound like I am pimping them, it's just they are a great company, and offer alot of CS if needed. The owner, Marshall Stanton, runs a 1 man business, and offers handmade excellent quality products for a fair price. Just an fyi.
    Last edited by CSW; 11-29-2015 at 11:39 AM.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

We have a couple of Rossi 92s on the shelf at work. (LGS) I'm very tempted by the .38/.357 and they look very good, fit and finish wise. Also much smoother than the older ones. Skinner makes a peep sight that replaces the safety, so that's a non-problem.

http://store.stevesgunz.com/index.ph...&products_id=5

I've always thought that Rossi was sub par in the quality department, but if I'm wrong, I'm happy to be educated.
    Well, they're made by Taurus so that's a big red flag. Like everything they make, sometimes the design is good but the execution, materials, & QC are piss poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Glockcoma View Post
    ...I've fired many, they feed well in the rifle too, but as you choose bullet designs for a rifle [if you went Winchester], be mindful that too flat of a melplat will sometimes give you loading issues on the feed ramp.
    I've also loaded Sierra 240SJHP's that perform flawlessly.
    For just fun plinkin', get some Berry's 250's, and blast away!...
    Theres a couple simple mods that can be done to the carrier that help the fat fronted bullets feed better. Its basically making a groove in the top front of the carrier to allow the bullet nose to lower slightly when feeding.

Not sure yet ("He said sheepishly.") I'm really only shooting 44's right now, but want to move to 45 in the not too distant future. I'm looking at 300-360 grain bullets in the 1100fps range. More or less, depending on accuracy. Regardless, only loads that are safe in factory 6 shot Bisleys. This thread is me doing a little homework so that when I start looking for a companion levergun (think 45-70 special power levels), I'll know what I'm looking at. All of my leverguns are Marlins, and one Winchester 94 in 30-30. None in 45 Colt.
    That level of load should be fine in about anything. Linebaugh has some pressure info with various loads on his site. Youre looking at about 30,000 lbs or so pressure in that range, less than a 44 mag does with similar loads.

Some reading on the matter. He has a couple other pieces he wrote about heavy loads on the site.

http://www.customsixguns.com/writing...g_the_myth.htm

From Malamute's post, it sounds like they can be just fine. I have a chance to shoot one this week, and I'll see what i think.
    I had a low opinion of the Rossis from the ones I've seen in the past, but reports from others that have bought them recently, and what Steve has written about them, theyve improved over time. I wouldnt buy one I couldnt see in person first (same for recent Marlins), checking fit and finish, and putting a caliper in the bore. Caliper isnt the best for checking a bore, but gets pretty close.

It may be possible to get a new one through Steve and have him give it a basic tune-up and replace the bolt safety with a plug or one of his bolt peep sights. Youd be ahead of the game knowing it was good to go that way, if that was in the budget.

Rossi sights are not great, I'd consider replacing them with about anything. I like receiver peep sights, the Rossis would need to be drilled and tapped for one, though it isnt hard to do, even as a home project.
    Last edited by Malamute; 11-29-2015 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glockcoma View Post
    I'f you really get into deep, slug your barrel. Beartooth offers those kits too. Sorry, I don't want to sound like I am pimping them, it's just they are a great company, and offer alot of CS if needed. The owner, Marshall Stanton, runs a 1 man business, and offers handmade excellent quality products for a fair price. Just an fyi.
    I have a few thousand BTB for my 44's, as well as their slug kit. I think that LBT does a better slug kit, fwiw.

My BTB shoot great in my 44's, but the problem with BTB is that it is impossible to get through to them, and for the anointed few who do, the wait time for bullets is worse than the lock time of a Seville.

I've been testing various other makers bullets lately, and though they seem really well made, I have not had much luck getting them to shoot as well as the BTB do. :-(

In for education.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

I have a .45 Colt Winchester trapper I really like. Older gun I got for a song from a Cowboy Action Shooting Gunshop because the SASS folks don't like them (not enough tube capacity). I have pistol caliber lever guns in .357, .44, and .45 Colt. Two winchester trappers and a cut down Marlin. While I don't have one, Jackson Armory has a .45 Colt Cimmaron I have been drooling on for months.
    I don't think you can go wrong with a Winchester or Marlin.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I have a .45 Colt Winchester trapper I really like...
    Is that a 94 or 92? Guessing 94 if its older. I dont recall what year they started having the 92s made again by Miroku.

Someone else mentioned having a Winchester but they didnt say which model.

Are the new model Winchesters good to go? I've heard the Miroku factory makes decent stuff, but they are admittedly rather pricey.

User Tag List