Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 45 Colt Lever gun - which one?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Not sure yet ("He said sheepishly.") I'm really only shooting 44's right now, but want to move to 45 in the not too distant future. I'm looking at 300-360 grain bullets in the 1100fps range. More or less, depending on accuracy. Regardless, only loads that are safe in factory 6 shot Bisleys. This thread is me doing a little homework so that when I start looking for a companion levergun (think 45-70 special power levels), I'll know what I'm looking at. All of my leverguns are Marlins, and one Winchester 94 in 30-30. None in 45 Colt.
    Fair enough, in the other thread you asked about how hot a load a 94 chambered in 45lc can handle and I'm still mulling that over but I "think" (and someone correct me if they think I'm out of line) a Win 94 Trapper chambered in 45lc with good brass like StarLine should be able to take quite a stout load, my thinking behind that is the action is used for the 30-30 ect which operate at higher pressures than the 45lc.

But like I mentioned I have not tried to hotrod the 45lc mainly because well that big heavy old projectile just kills things, and I have bigger guns if I want things more deader.
    I suspect my 300gr load is doing somewhere around 1100-1200fps out of a 16" tube, I have never checked it... Thats just a seat of the pants measurement.

As far as rifles go if you have Marlins and are happy with them, I know they did make some 16" guns in 45lc, maybe you could keep an eye out for a secondhand one.

I think you will really enjoy the 45lc I know I have.
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by dbateman View Post
    Fair enough, in the other thread you asked about how hot a load a 94 chambered in 45lc can handle and I'm still mulling that over but I "think" (and someone correct me if they think I'm out of line) a Win 94 Trapper chambered in 45lc with good brass like StarLine should be able to take quite a stout load, my thinking behind that is the action is used for the 30-30 ect which operate at higher pressures than the 45lc.

But like I mentioned I have not tried to hotrod the 45lc mainly because well that big heavy old projectile just kills things, and I have bigger guns if I want things more deader.
    I suspect my 300gr load is doing somewhere around 1100-1200fps out of a 16" tube, I have never checked it... Thats just a seat of the pants measurement.

As far as rifles go if you have Marlins and are happy with them, I know they did make some 16" guns in 45lc, maybe you could keep an eye out for a secondhand one.

I think you will really enjoy the 45lc I know I have.
    From Underwood Ammunition's website on their 45 Colt +P
    "These loads are safe in all large frame Ruger revolvers, TC Contender, and Colt Anaconda. These loads are safe in all modern Model 1892 leverguns as well as all Winchester & Marlin 1894's. These Heavy .45 Colt +P loads are NOT intended for the New Model Vaquero (small frame). DO NOT USE IN ANY OTHER FIREARM. THESE ARE NOT STANDARD PRESSURE CARTRIDGES! Do not use +P ammunition in firearms that are replicas of early designs, such as rolling blocks, Sharps and Colt-style single action army revolvers."

Buffalo Bore has a similar guideline.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    From Underwood Ammunition's website on their 45 Colt +P
    "These loads are safe in all large frame Ruger revolvers, TC Contender, and Colt Anaconda. These loads are safe in all modern Model 1892 leverguns as well as all Winchester & Marlin 1894's. These Heavy .45 Colt +P loads are NOT intended for the New Model Vaquero (small frame). DO NOT USE IN ANY OTHER FIREARM. THESE ARE NOT STANDARD PRESSURE CARTRIDGES! Do not use +P ammunition in firearms that are replicas of early designs, such as rolling blocks, Sharps and Colt-style single action army revolvers."

Buffalo Bore has a similar guideline.
    Duh. Good thought to check that stuff, thanks.

Duh. Good thought to check that stuff, thanks.
    No problem!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt O View Post
    Are the new model Winchesters good to go? I've heard the Miroku factory makes decent stuff, but they are admittedly rather pricey.
    The Miroku made guns are excellent quality, and fit and finish. The ones with rebounding hammers have some little parts in the trigger system that the older ones didnt, but you can simply live with it or swap parts for Browning 92 or Rossi 92 half cock parts. I converted one late Winchester 92 to standard half cock with Browning parts.

Just as a cap on the idea of powerful 45 Colt in a modern LA...I've been re-reading John Taffin stuff, and it seems that the Marlin 1984, the various quality repro 1892's floating around, and the Henry's, should have no issue at all with 6 shot Ruger Only loads. Whether or not your pet revolver loads will shoot as you like in the carbines is a different matter.

I was actually going to suggest you research what JT has to say on the topic, but obviously you are way ahead of me. He s a wealth of information, and easy to talk to (except his hearing is worse than mine). I am curious to see what you end up doing. While I have no need for another big bore pistol cartridge lever gun, the a .45 Colt loaded to full potential sounds very appealing.

Kind of an off hand thought, but Marlin made the 336 in .44 mag for a couple few years. A barrel swap to .45, chambered/throated/twisted to your ideal specs might be worth investigating. I see them now and then, for not unreasonable prices. My dad just returned mine. I had totally forgot about the thing actually. Very trim, well balanced gun.

Randomly, I ended up purchasing the Rossi M92 in .45 today. I had stopped by Academy to grab a bit of ammo, and they were having a clearance...the gun was marked down from $449, to $225. Couldn't resist.

I had just left the range, so no report yet, but I'm looking forward to testing it out. It sure is a handy-feeling little carbine. It's not much bigger than my SBR AR.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Which one is the handiest (assuming 16" tube), highest quality, best for stout loads (can accept longish cast bullets, heavy for caliber). The heavyish load part is very important, because I want to use the same loads as my Bisley. In that regard, firm bore diameter is probably pretty important as well.
    Have you checked twist rates in LA's? It's usually pretty slow in .44/.45.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

FWIW, while I don't remember where I read it, EMF, Navy Arms, Puma, and Rossi all come out of the same factory. While the quality may not be the highest, they are still decent rifles. At least my EMF has been. I enjoy projects, probably a bit too much, so I don't mind tinkering. My only real gripe was the crap wood stock which I have since replaced. I haven't messed with mine in awhile, but when I was shooing it more often it handled "hot" loads without any issues.

Mic McPherson has some good information out there.

http://leverguns.com/articles/paco/45coltlevergun.htm is another good article. There are some other good reads at leverguns.

Somewhere I have a magazine article where a guy hotrodded cut down 454 cases with decent results.

User Tag List